“Great Westin, Great Staff, and Great Location - from a SPG Platinum member” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Great Westin, Great Staff, and Great Location - from a SPG Platinum member”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stay in a lot of Westins, but this was one of the nicer ones I've been to. The staff was great and the lobby is beautiful. I booked a 3 night stay and applied my SPG suite upgrade awards. They were fully booked for a big conference the first night I was there, and they were quite apologetic that they couldn't give me the upgrade. The second day I asked again about an upgrade at the front desk and they ended up giving us a 2 story penthouse suite on the top floor. This room was AMAZING! The staff was so helpful and courteous throughout the entire stay. The hotel is also a great location if you're looking for a place that is very walkable to shopping, restaurants, and bars. Would definitely recommend for business!

Room Tip: The top floor suites are amazing! I would recommend you try to get that!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear jrichert,

We’re so delighted you enjoyed your stay! Our bi-level suites are indeed amazing and I’m so glad you had the opportunity to experience it. I was also happy to read about the great service you received throughout your stay.

Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and for participating in our award winning SPG program - which as you know – is one of the most innovating loyalty programs in the industry.

We can’t wait to welcome you back on your next trip down to San Diego.

Be well,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Location, location, location says it all about this property. Well staffed with courteous polite employees. Yes the valet is a lot however it is the city where parking is a premium anyway. The concierge desk was helpful and very professional. The hotel itself is nothing special in and of itself, it is spotless, the rooms standard in a city center. The heavenly beds are not my cup of tea as I like a firmer bed but I am sure most people love them. Mostly it is the location that makes this a fabulous property, walking distance to Little Italy and the Gaslamp as well as Horton's Plaza. We will definitely go again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don N
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is in a fabulous location attentive to the convention going needs of myself and clients as well as walking distance to the famous Gaslamp quarter for restaurants and nightlife. I appreciated the large lobby where we were able to congregate and wind down after a long day. I was disappointed that the wifi service was spotty during peak times, and the shower also seemed to have trouble maintaining pressure during these peak times as well.
We held a meeting on the 2nd floor and the meeting room size and balcony reception area was great; however, the meeting room had very low ceilings which then resulted in the utilization of a small pop-up projector screen which is not ideal. It would be great if AV could be upgraded with a large screen dropping from the ceiling.
I am a Starwood loyalist, so I always look forward to staying within the family, but hope for these minor things to be looked into and updated. Look forward to returning to San Diego soon!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Gas Lamp Quarter for three nights. It was a fantastic experience. All of the staff are warm and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. This is especially true of the concierges, who, to a person, could not have been more helpful or cheerful. They were brilliant! This establishment was extremely child friendly which made our stay that much better. The location is excellent should you want to explore the quarter's restaurants and nightclubs, but as the hotel is almost tucked away in a corner it is very quiet. The facilities are outstanding and spotlessly clean. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant is excellent value, with a fabulous selection of food available that would satisfy all dietary requirements. Thoroughly recommend it and very much looking forwards to staying there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors quieter and have lovely views of the water.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Kym P,

Once again I’m reading a wonderful review that specifically mentions our fantastic concierge team! It’s such a great way to start the day. I was also very pleased to know how much you enjoyed your overall experience and that our location enabled you to take advantage of so much of what San Diego has to offer. All in all, it sounds like you had a terrific time and we look forward to welcoming you back. Hopefully soon!

Be well,

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here last year and had a great stay but this time it was totally different. I am platinum for life with starwood and have Ambassador status which means I stay over 100 nights a year in their hotels.

The young lady that checked me in was the rudest most unpleasant and unprofessional person I have found at a Westin. Because of my status with Starwood I am allowed to check in anytime. I got to the hotel at 1pm and the first thing she told me was that check in was not til 3pm. No upgrade, no welcoming attitude .I will not stay here again!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
TravelLikeaStar, Thank you for staying with us again. While we appreciate your loyalty, I do want to apologize for the check in experience you described. We actually specialize in our service delivery and this one is was a surprise for me as well. If you can call me and let me know more about your experience, it would help me a great deal to improve on our service.
I look forward to hear from you.

Charles Cho
Hotel Manager
619 238 2615
Metamora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed at hotels all over the world. This is the first place where the concierge didn't expext exhorbitant tips, but did their job flawlessly. They were there when I got up and stayed well into the evening. They knew the San Diego area and gave excellent advice. My favorite was Julienne. She called the Fish Market to make sure we had a fabulous table. She gave us great advice about places to go, to eat, just about everythng. The spa was excellent. The breakfast buffet was worth every penny. I would definiyely stay here again, and encourage every one I know to do the same. Thank you for a great San Diego experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a Bay view. It's worth it!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear VaniMBDDS,

I was so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and particularly the service you received from Julianne. Our concierge team is a great asset to the hotel and, as you mentioned, they really do know just about everything! With our hard to beat location in the center of downtown, there is always lots to do and something new to experience so it certainly is helpful when you have a group of experts to turn to for suggestions!

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel was great very comfortable and nice and close to the gaslamp nightlife. Also Westfield Horton plaza is right next door for some shopping :)
There concierges are the best! So helpful!
It was about a 15min taxi ride to San Diego zoo and a 25min taxi to Seaworld