“A very good option for downtown San Diego”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A very good option for downtown San Diego”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for three nights business in July.

Last time I was here the hotel was in the middle of serious refurbishment & it was pretty chaotic, however that is all finished and the end result is very good. The lobby, bar and restaurant are much better & the whole public space seems much brighter and airier.

I was upgraded to a corner suite, which was well appointed (standard Westin) and quiet.

I ate in the restaurant on two nights and had an really excellent steak.

Still the place to stay in downtown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Robh9999

I'm so glad you returned and had the opportunity to experience our beautiful new look! The new restaurant, Pinzimini, is simply fantastic. As is our new bar where we offer some very unique and fun cocktails. The public space is one of the most dramatic and extensive changes we went through and it's so nice to hear the feedback from guests such as yourself that were here in the past and then returned to see the total transformation.

Hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for a week while attending a conference at the convention center. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly. The location is just okay. It's a bit sketchy to be walking around the area at night. It's situated at Horton Plaza so if you like to shop then this hotel is perfect for you. If you're looking for a more downtown/partying feel then I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location is great for walking to downtown activities. Check-in was easy. The Valets were great. Quick to bring your car and will accommodate holding your car when you are only running in for 15 minutes. The room was huge and clean. The whirl pool was nice but the water was a little too hot. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and myself stayed in the Westin for five days in September and had a wonderfull time there.
The front desk staff were very friendly and informative, and made us very welcome, We spoke to them most days for advice on places to visit etc, and they were so helpfull and and went out of their way to advise us. The management of the Westin should be very proud they have such nice people greeting their guests, as the make a great first impression, The hotel is situated in the Gaslamp area and is only a short walk to 5th street which has some wonderfull restraunt's and pubs, also the Trolley bus stops just outside the hotel which is worth taking as it take you to the Old Town which is worth a visit. All in all we had a great visit to San Diego and staying in the Westin made it perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear nsmcnally

I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us! I was especially happy to know that our staff, particularly at the front desk, provided you with outstanding service. As you suggested, I am very proud of the dedicated team of people we have here, and reading comments such as yours is quite rewarding. While there’s no doubt our location is hard to beat, it’s the service and personal touches that make a lasting impression - and make guests want to return!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip over from Ireland!

Kind regards,

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here with a friend on a girls get away vacation. We had a great time in the city and the hotel was beautiful. Our view was wonderful as well. Nothing to complain about but the one thing that struck me as odd was the lack of security. We were out very late and did experience and very scary situation in the hotel lobby. A kitchen worker actually came out and chased off the man that was bothering and scaring us. At late hours I understand you cannot have a full staff but for the area the hotel was in I was shocked that there was not security in the lobby keeping an eye out for the safety of not only the guests but the employees. Anyone could have walked in at any time and no one would have been there expect a heroic kitchen employee.

Again the hotel was beautiful and the staff was very nice but the lack of security was alarming. I would stay here again though.. maybe I would pack mase though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I would like to take a moment and state experience yesterday while having breakfast in your San Diego, Westin hotel.

I was joined by my bother while enjoying our breakfast/ buffet , and our waitress was Ms. Korina Wise, and what a breath of fresh air , Ms. Wise added to our dining experience at the Westin Hotel. She was incredible, with her willing to do anything attitude, enthusiastic, bubbly attitude, beautiful smile and nothing less than impeccable service.

Checking on my brother and I , throughout the course of our breakfast. Making sure we were enjoying our breakfast buffet, carried my Briefcase to our dining table, filling water glasses , checking our coffee , just an amazing young waitress. Checking on us every few minutes to confirm we were happy and continent. , and boy were we ever.

Her smile and attitude is contagious , my brother and myself both said what an amazing , cheerful young lady that is without question a tremendous "Asset" to the Westin Hotel, San Diego.

I eat 90% of my meals on the road traveling, and Korena , even though she is young, is the best waitress I have Ever experienced, she is beyond excellent .. Treat her well !

Steve Barnes

• Stayed September 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here a couple times on day trips to SD. Used to live in La Jolla for 5 years, so staying in Gaslamp Quarter is pretty nice to be back.

Hit up the Hard Rock Hotel pool parties, and then back to the Westin. Nice comfy rooms, upgraded me for free, friendly people, overall happy everytime I come in here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Travis B
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We love it that you always enjoy it here! Thank you for your loyalty and come back soon!

Best,