“Great but where is the security?”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here with a friend on a girls get away vacation. We had a great time in the city and the hotel was beautiful. Our view was wonderful as well. Nothing to complain about but the one thing that struck me as odd was the lack of security. We were out very late and did experience and very scary situation in the hotel lobby. A kitchen worker actually came out and chased off the man that was bothering and scaring us. At late hours I understand you cannot have a full staff but for the area the hotel was in I was shocked that there was not security in the lobby keeping an eye out for the safety of not only the guests but the employees. Anyone could have walked in at any time and no one would have been there expect a heroic kitchen employee.

Again the hotel was beautiful and the staff was very nice but the lack of security was alarming. I would stay here again though.. maybe I would pack mase though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,749)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I would like to take a moment and state experience yesterday while having breakfast in your San Diego, Westin hotel.

I was joined by my bother while enjoying our breakfast/ buffet , and our waitress was Ms. Korina Wise, and what a breath of fresh air , Ms. Wise added to our dining experience at the Westin Hotel. She was incredible, with her willing to do anything attitude, enthusiastic, bubbly attitude, beautiful smile and nothing less than impeccable service.

Checking on my brother and I , throughout the course of our breakfast. Making sure we were enjoying our breakfast buffet, carried my Briefcase to our dining table, filling water glasses , checking our coffee , just an amazing young waitress. Checking on us every few minutes to confirm we were happy and continent. , and boy were we ever.

Her smile and attitude is contagious , my brother and myself both said what an amazing , cheerful young lady that is without question a tremendous "Asset" to the Westin Hotel, San Diego.

I eat 90% of my meals on the road traveling, and Korena , even though she is young, is the best waitress I have Ever experienced, she is beyond excellent .. Treat her well !

Steve Barnes

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here a couple times on day trips to SD. Used to live in La Jolla for 5 years, so staying in Gaslamp Quarter is pretty nice to be back.

Hit up the Hard Rock Hotel pool parties, and then back to the Westin. Nice comfy rooms, upgraded me for free, friendly people, overall happy everytime I come in here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Travis B
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

We love it that you always enjoy it here! Thank you for your loyalty and come back soon!

Best,

Keri Robinson

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here as part of a business trip - the hotel is in a great location in the Gaslamp district, right next to the mall and a short walk to the bars and restaurants. All the staff I came in contact with were helpful and friendly. Check in and out was fast and efficient. Room was a nice size with a nice bathroom although there are minimal bathroom amenities (nice, but the basics - shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap). Bath gel would be a nice addition. Bath tub had a slow drip which I had to report 3x before it was fixed (the drip was not annoying just a waste of water)
I am surprised at something I am seeing in more and more hotels - no trash can liners or trash bags.
Beds, linens and pillows were great but - no pillow protectors. I thought this would have been "standard" at all hotels from a hygiene standpoint.
The coffee maker was on the far side of the desk, not near the outlets, so had to be moved in order to be plugged in. Not a big deal but I am sure a lot of spills because you presume it is plugged in and don't realize it is not until you try to switch it on after filling it with water.
The outdoor pool looked lovely but I did not use it, or any of the F&B facilities
All in all though, a great stay.
Meeting room organization was well handled.

Room Tip: The higher or corner rooms have a great view, although they may be a little more expensive
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel is at Great Location. All staff were Friendly & helpful for anything i was in need. Beds are so Comfortable that i use go to sleep once I lay on the bed. Restaurants and bars are so close that I never felt away from home. Hotel is very close to San Diego Airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Gangadhar

Thank you for posting a review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and the service you received from the staff. And of course, the wonderful Heavenly Bed! Did you know you can purchase a Heavenly Bed for your own home by either going to westin-hotelsathome.com or through our partnership with either Nordstrom or Pottery Barn. How great would it be to sleep on a Heavenly Bed every night!

Kind regards,

Keri Robinson

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Business hotel. Great great location. Close to all nightlife, eateries, mall.

Hotel valet is $30+ day, public parking $15 for 24hrs.

Hotel is clean and modern. Staff is friendly and helpful. Gym is great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan-N-Robert
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very clean and comfortable labor day stay. I to my suprise was able to get a room on Labor day this year at this location with my fiance . Came in very late and the front desk was great the room was very clean comfortable and nice and cool. I went right to sleep on the very comfortable bed and slept in. I got a late breakfast and we enjoyed getting ready in the large bright modern bathroom.. Enjoyed San Diego before returning home to Los Angeles.. Very nice place overall great stay.. give it a shot rooms are very nice beds a great and i was on the 23 floor so the view was great too.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the higher floors it has a great view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple