“Nice hotel but walk to your floor”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Nice hotel but walk to your floor”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food was the best part, especially the steak and salmon. They also had a wonderful quiche appetizer. The front office staff were polite, but not overly friendly. The location of the hotel was in an interesting part of San Diego, near several restaurants and the convention center. However, we had to wait 10 minutes on many occasions to get the elevator. Unless they get it fixed, you may want to pay for the lower floors so you can take the stairs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 14, 2013

perfect location. nice hotel. got a decent deal. would stay there again. cheaper parking is across the street, so use that.

i would stay there again. no problems. I have to get upto 200 characters, so I'm going to write this to hit the limit, but I really have nothing else to say at this point.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel. The arrival was good, bell service very friendly and the front desk wasn't bad either. The clerk was sorry that the hotel was fully booked so we couldn't get a (paid) upgrade for the final 3 nights of our 5 night stay.

We made a booking through a friend who has a high position at one of the asian Sheraton hotels, so we could get the starfriend rate. It seems in this hotel, starfriend rate means: get bad service.

It started in the first morning when we noticed we did not get any shower gel in the bathroom.
We called housekeeping and they said they would bring it to us. One hour later everybody was finished showering but still no shower gel. We left the hotel at 12 noon to go out and removed the DND sign from the door.

In the evening at 11p.m. we noticed our room wasn't cleaned. When we called housekeeping the said that the DND sign was on, but we told them we already removed it at noon. They didn't bother to ask if we still needed the room to be cleaned. Also the showergel still wasn;t there.
We demanded new towels and shower gel asap, which eventually they brought.

The next day: I was feeling not so well and stayed in the room until 3pm, after which I went out to get some fresh air. On the way to the elevator I spoke to one of the housekeeping attendants if she could clean room 539 after the one she was cleaning, I apologized that it was so late but that I wasn't feeling well before. She made a note on the card and said it will be fine.

When I came back at 6pm to my big surprise the room STILL wasn't made. When I called housekeeping they said (AGAIN!!) that the DND sign was on. I told them that that was nonsense since I specifically told the attendant that I went out and if she could clean the specific room number. The frontdesk told me the housekeeping doesn't keep track of which room is already and is not yet cleaned. Obviously they only look in the morning and after that...well....I guess as a guest you just have to figure out yourself. After I got angry the fron office manager called me. I told her that I wasn't planning on paying the full amount for the first night since it hadn't been cleaned. She told me that we already got a discount rate (what has that got to do with cleaning the room or not?) but that she could only offer me a 25 dollar credit to spend during my stay, for the fact that today the room wasn't cleaned after I asked. And what about the first day it wasn't cleaned? No solution at all..the manager said that the room would be cleaned within 30 minutes. We waited for the attendand for 45 minutes and dint show up. Pissed as we were we went out and came back at 915pm to find out is was finally cleaned.

Today we went out early at 10 and removed the DND sign. We came back in the room at 2pm and what do you know? ofcourse the room WASN'T made yet. And guess what they told us when we called again: ofcourse they mentioned that the DND sign was on (BEFORE 10!!!)

The housekeeping just keeps using the DND sign as an excuse, the front office doesn't coem up with a solution and guess what: when I tried to find out if I could book a room online through my SPG(gold) account, there were still bigger rooms available.

Conclusion: stay away from this hotel! only the hotel exterior and lobby are nice and the bell staff is very correct and friendly. No heavenly bed that they are using even though they claim it to be.

Rooms should be renovated but still look very outdated, only soms LED lights next to the bed.
Front office and management don't come up with correct solutions if things are done incorrectly.Don't mind if you are a loyal gold SPG customer or not. Housekeeping seems very lazy and not eager to show some initiative.
This hotel isn't worth the starwood or westin badge and certainly would not rate it higher than 2 or 3 starts. Better stay at a different westin. I have never experienced any westin as bad as this one before and will never come here again if my stay will end like this.

Stay away from this hotel! I am curious if they will even take the tie and trouble to read my review.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel! this is certainly not worth your money!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RKGT777
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear RKGT777,

Thank you very much for your time this morning. I am glad that our Director of Front Office was able to connect with you and follow up on these items. Please reach out to her directly should you have any further questions or concerns and we hope that you enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Can't say much for the property itself, as I checked-in around 9pm, left early for sightseeing and came back for shower and bags. Upgraded to a nice city view room on the 16th floor and I was granted a late check-out at 4pm as a Platinum. Only complain: ethernet cable not working during my stay, contacted tech stuff and they were unable to help me. I would come back to this property.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've never gone wrong with Westin before, but at the same time it's hard to be excited since with every hotel chain, you pretty much know what you can expect. Westin is good, what can I say. Rooms were beautiful and the location for this property is very good. It's two minutes walking from 4th Avenue (where Fluxx and the other action is).

I forgot some shaving stuff and the concierge was nice enough to drop some off in my room.

Staff was super helpful and made sure I got up at 3 o'clock to catch my flight.

There are lots of great hotels in SD, but I will probably stay here again when I go back to SD.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor so you get a beautiful view over downtown SD and if you're lucky a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WytzeNL
Dear WytzeNL,

I’m delighted you feel that you can never go wrong with Westin! I’m also glad you enjoyed our new modern room design and prime location in the heart of downtown. What pleases me most however, is how helpful you found the staff to be - especially in ensuring you didn’t miss your flight!

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to San Diego.

Bad Schonborn, Germany
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let me start with the only bad part of my stay, at check-in time the rooms were not ready and at the end I was more or less 60 minutes waiting for a room, but this got solved and for sure a little area for improvement. Anyway, the room was one of the newly renovated rooms and was technically and from the bed really great. The room has a large LED TV, a panel where you can connect your PC / iPad to the TV, some green features like automatic turnoff of lights if there are no movements in the room, very nice amenities, etc. so really great. The location is also great, with dozens of restaurants nearby (less than 2-4 minute’s walk) in the gaslamp district, and for sure the connection to the Horton Shopping Mall, so eat and shop and sightseeing all together. The restaurant was great, very nice service, the eggs were made to order and the selection of fresh fruits was excellent. Maybe some variety of Yoghurts could be added .... All in all, an excellent stay, very friendly service, a Concierge who loves her job and really helps not just shows something on the map, but call if tables are available, or if a store has specific thing you are looking for!

Room Tip: The three upper floors are for SPG (Rewards Member) and have a nice view over the city.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Adpalme1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I cant say enough how nice our experience was. We checked in and it went very smooth. staff was friendly and courteous. I have stayed at other places but this made me feel like it was a home away from home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Ms_Merchant

Nothing could sum up our commitment better, or be more uplifting! than to know we made you feel at home. Mission accomplished!