“Fabulous Service, Exemplary Hotel...we can't wait to return!!”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I want to compliment your staff at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter and specifically Kevin (Bell Man) for his exemplary service. We were in San Diego to get married this week and we also attended Gay Pride. When we were at the Pride celebration, your hotel had a booth at the event and we decided to change hotels and move over to your hotel because we wanted to spend our money at a place that supported us. We told Kevin when we checked in that we were getting married the next day. He had chocolates and fruit and champagne sent to our room that very evening. So sweet, but he didn't stop there! The next day (our wedding day) when we arrived at the hotel after our ceremony, we found that he had sent a HUGE bouquet of flowers, a $60 gift certificate for room service and a card that was signed by EVERY member of the Westin staff at the hotel!!! We cried and cried at the lovely welcome that your hotel staff extended to us. Kevin greeted us with a huge smile every time he saw us and was so congratulatory and kind. Same sex marriage is not well-recieved everywhere and we were touched and delighted that this young man made such a big fuss over our wedding. I have been an SPG member for several years and have stayed at many different hotels in your company, including the St. Regis Monarch Beach (which was amazing!), but this Westin made us feel so special and at home and ACCEPTED (not just tolerated)...that we will return again and again!!! We go to San Diego about once a year and will never forget the love we received. So, a heartfelt thank you to Kevin and your entire staff for making our day so special!!! My wife is a radio talk show host in Taos, NM and you can be certain that she will be talking at length about the fantastic treatment that we received! Also, for review purposes...the Westin Heavenly Bed is the most comfortable bed!!! The room was well-appointed and gorgeous, everything in the room down to the smallest detail of the soap is HEAVENLY!! You will love this hotel, we did!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Casita_Bonita_Taos
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Casita_Bonita_Taos

Congratulations on your marriage! When I returned from a meeting yesterday, my assistant told me she had spoken to you and I was delighted, to say the least!, to hear all about your experience. In reading this review, I am thrilled to know that the staff, and specifically Kevin, played a role in helping to make this very personal and special time in your lives even that much more memorable. We so look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Diego. Perhaps start a tradition and spend every anniversary with us!

Once again, thank you for your kind words and best wishes!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend getaway before a wedding in Temecula. This is a great property with even better location. All the restaurants, bars, and shopping you could want. Brians 24 is a great spot for breakfast. Bell staff is excellent. I also really enjoyed the workout facility. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kevin k
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

kevin k

I’m glad to know you and your wife enjoyed your weekend getaway! Sounds like you took full advantage of not only our location but the hotel’s amenities too. With guests being able to access our fitness studio 24 hours a day, there’s always time to fit in a workout and it’s nice to know you enjoyed it.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stay at the Westin Gaslamp for a 6 days last week and had an amazing experience. From check-in to check-out, I received nothing but exceptional and welcoming service. The pool was amazing, the rooms we're beyond what I expected and again, the staff was extremely hospitable. Notable mentions to Kevin, the bellhop, and another gentleman bellhop, who's name I forgot who explained his "passion for love"! I opted out of my room service for the majority of the trip to be more "green", however, when I did need my room refreshed, Amelia was very kind and did a superb job. There are plenty of things to do in the area, it's a great location, central to everything. Great restos/bar for night life.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Sakeena N

I couldn’t have said it better myself! We do have a beautiful location and San Diego is definitely a beautiful city. It was wonderful to read that your weeklong stay with us was an amazing experience and the service you received throughout was exceptional – especially from Kevin and the other bellmen.

I want to also thank you for participating in our Make a Green Choice Program. Sustainability is extremely important to us and I will let Amelia know that you appreciated her assistance and the superb job she did.

Be well,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter last Thursday night. Checking in and out was seamless. I appreciate the e-receipt, very green. Hats off to Paul, the Bell Person, who gave excellent walking directions around the vicinity and driving directions when we departed. The Westin is ideally located. We walked to Petco Park and enjoyed a great Giants/Padres game. Giants won, yay. The next day we meandered around Sea Port Village, also a comfortable walk from the Westin. There is an abundance of food choices nearby. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Not really a room tip, more of a driving tip. Depending on your GPS device, the Westin is a little...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

ergamergirl

I love the “Gaslamp Gem” description! And I was delighted to read that Paul helped you make the most of your time here. There is definitely an abundance of restaurants nearby and I hope you also had a chance to experience Pinzimini, our Italian inspired restaurant featuring creative Tuscan style entrees that are just delicious!

I was also happy to see that you appreciated receiving an e-receipt. We are very committed to doing more to consume less and have numerous programs and products in place to ensure we do our part to care for the planet.

Be well,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I recently traveled to San Diego with some girlfriends to attend a San Francisco Giant's game. We stayed at the Westin in the Gaslamp district and had a wonderful time! Everyone was so kind and helpful, especially Paul, the Bellman! It was obvious by his exuberant personality, that he loves his job and working with people. He singlehandedly made our stay 100 percent better! Kudos to you for having someone like that on your staff!

Gail Shem

Gail S

It sure sounds like you had a terrific time and a lot of fun on your girls getaway! And I was extremely pleased to read how Paul helped make your stay so memorable. Wonderful! He is one of our many superstars and I will be sure to pass along your appreciation.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and for choosing Westin. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights recently & had a great experience. The bed was very comfortable, the room was very clean, the shower had a rain head & handheld wand - nice. All the staff were very helpful & when we had a problem with our credit card at check-in, the desk clerk was very helpful. We had a great room looking over the bay. My only complaint would be the lighted mirror in the bathroom which was the only light in the room so it was a bit dark.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel between June 27 and July 1st. All of the employees I encountered were very friendly and efficient. The rooms were nice and the pool was amazing although small.
The are a lot of homeless people in the area as you go towards 5th street. This is a very busy area full of nightlife but really a young crowd.
Our rates were conference rates so less expensive than regular rates. We normally stay at the Ritz when we attend conferences so this wasn't that but a nice hotel to stay at and very clean. The food and drinks were expensive but seem so in all cities that we have stayed in. We were able to walk to the waterfront which had a number of restaurants. Nice weekend stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business