“Great hotel in a great location.”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #39 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Gaslamp in early April for 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is very well located downtown (near the heart of the Gaslamp District which hosts a lot of restaurants, nightlife and shopping). It's also close to Balboa Park.

The hotel itself has recently been renovated and is very clean and contemporary. The room was large and the bed comfortable. They are also making an attempt to "go green"; they allow the option to decline housekeeping each day during your stay for a $5 credit back. We declined and received $20 back off of our room. You can still ask for clean towels/toiletries and receive this kickback.

My husband and I both used the fitness room during our stay and it's very spacious and updated. Most hotels we visit have a really cramped and sweaty fitness room so this was a pleasant surprise.

My only negative comment is that parking is really expensive ($36/night). It's valet and basically your only option. We can be frugal (epecially with parking - we hate paying for parking!) so it was tough for us to shell out this kind of cash. Since the parking was so steep we ended up paying more than we would have liked. We were aware of the parking situation before we arrived so it wasn't a surprise, but I wanted to point it out in case others weren't.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tenmylove
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

tenmylove

Very nice to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I was pleased to read that you chose to participate in our Make a Green Choice sustainability program. Westin is very committed to reducing water and energy consumption and I thank you for helping us in our efforts. The program incorporates the use of high efficiency lighting throughout the entire hotel, VOC finishes on furniture, Eco-friendly cleaning products and a recycling program for guest room amenities through our partnership with Clean the World - just to mention a few of the many initiatives we have in place!

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

Keri Robinson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,749)

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel definately lives up to its reputation, from the friendly staff at the front desk to the valet. This particular hotel is close to everything from a post office next door to a three story westfield mall within walking distance. The gaslamp strip famous for its bars, clubs and restaurants are just footsteps from the hotel as well; so close there is no need for a cab. I wanted to go to the beach, being my first time in San Deigo and was glad to see the buses, rail systems were not only very close by but reasonably priced and easy to follow. I think this is one of the best hotels not only because it is a four star but because of its location... its perfectly placed.

Con..
As with all big named hotels the wifi isnt free. I do not understand why, especially for how much it cost to stay a night, but its still worth the stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Saint e

I absolutely loved reading that we are on the top of your list! Being that it was your first trip to San Diego, I’m glad you found our location to be perfect for everything you wanted to do and that getting around was easy. I was also very pleased to know that you felt the hotel lived up to its reputation and found the staff friendly and helpful. For your next trip, I do want to let you know that we provide our guests with unlimited free internet throughout the lobby area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great service and experience at this hotel in 2012. The experience was so good that we returned in 2013. Tina in the lobby lounge went out of her way last year to make our stay special for our son's 5th birthday. Every time we came and left the hotel Tina made a point of talking to our son. Great job!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

CP
I was extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter so much that you returned again this year! Nothing could be higher praise and I assure you I will pass along your kind comments to Tina. She is definitely a superstar - and just one of our many exceptional staff members.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We can’t wait to welcome you back on your next trip!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Came into San Diego to visit some friends over the weekend. First person I ran into was Jeremy, who was excellent in providing me with some information and local places to eat and drink. He directed me to La Puerta, a tequila bar with half price tequilas during happy hour as well as told me about some of the concerts in the area at 4th and B and the Hard Rock. I was very pleasantly surprised with the ease of getting in and out of the hotel in the busy downtown area of San Diego. Everything is within walking distance from here. I came down on my second night to ask Jeremy about the Padres and try to catch a game there vs the Mariners. He was able to tell me about another cool spot, Tavern and Bowl, which is right across the street from Petco Park. Nightlife in and around the hotel was fun. I always enjoy watching twenty-somethings stumble in to a hotel after a late night of partying, and San Diego did not disappoint. After a night at Voyeur with a couple of friends, we made our way back to grab some late night pizza and hang out at the hotel. Comfortable beds and a peaceful room provided me with all the rest I needed to go out to Coronado on my last day there to see the Hotel Del. Thank you to everyone who helped make my stay an enjoyable trip that I will remember for quite some time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

PrestonMLeffler

Describing your stay at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter as an “Excellent experience” was a great way to start my day! I am so happy you were able to enjoy everything our prime location has to offer. And it sounds like Jeremy certainly had a hand in helping you make the most of your trip. Having so many things to do, all within walking distance, definitely makes for a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Be well,

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Hotel centrally located, next to Horton Plaza and Gaslamp Quarter. Ideal if interested in shopping and dinners/drinks out.
We stayed 4 night (incl our baby boy) and had an extra crib. The room was clean, personnel friendly, service good, breakfast buffet tasty.
Personally, I was not very happy about the bathroom door (sliding, didnt close well). Also, we had 2 queen size beds although ordered and desired 1 king size, but it worked ok.
You could also hear toilet flushes and room neighbours laughing and talking - again, worked ok but worried me a bit when being there, as I was concerned this could wake up our boy.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank apricot24
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Apricot24

How nice to read that you were able to spend 4 days with us and that our location made it easy for your family to explore the many nearby venues. It is also rewarding to know that the staff made you feel welcomed and provided you with great service. I’d have to agree, the breakfast buffet in Pinzimini is very tasty and definitely worth a try!

We thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter and hope to welcome you back on your next trip.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't have had a better check in experience. Everyone was friendly and smiling. And if you are a loyal Starwood customer you will be happy to know that the proper credit is given for being a gold member. I have nothing but the great things to say about this hotel. The location is perfect. Walk to the best restaurants the Gaslamp has to offer in less than 10 minutes and the mall is right across the street. If you have kids or staying by yourself you will be pleased. The only thing we couldn't understand is why the pool wasn't heated. We couldn't enjoy it for even one day with the kids. With overnight lows in the 60's the pool needs to be heated.

• Stayed: May 2013
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Rgcamma

What a delight it was to read your review! I am so pleased that you found your stay, and everything about the hotel, to be perfect. Starwood's Preferred Guest Program is extremely popular and has won several travel awards based on votes from frequent travelers worldwide so I am glad to know you’re enjoying the many benefits of membership.

I did want to let you know that our pool is heated. However, we are currently experiencing a problem with one of the heat pumps that we expect to have remedied within a week.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was able to get a great room rate for my wife and me to go to San Diego for a couple of nights, Saturday and Sunday. I had asked for a higher quieter room with the possibility of an early check in. We arrived in San Diego after our drive from Westlake Village pretty early so we parked and strolled around the farmers market in Little Italy which was fun. Then we did our usual and walked down to the bay front and then walked up to the gas lamp district, by now it was around noon so we thought why not pop in and just ask if there was a chance of checking in early and sure enough the helpful staff was able to accommodate us, room being on the 9th floor away from the elevators and ice machines as requested, so we were pretty happy with that and so we walked back to Little Italy picked up the car and drove back to the hotel. We then were able to unload and relax for a while.

The room was very comfortable, nice big king bed, not sure why they put one robe out on the bed with one free bottle of water, perhaps they thought only one person was going to be staying in the room, would have been nice to see two, one each. It did have a small refrigerator which was nice to put our drinks etc. in. It looks like the room had been though a recent make over which was very nice. The bathroom was very nice and clean, towels nice and bright, there was also an in room safe which was a nice surprise and very handy. One other nice feature they offer is the loan of work out gear for the gym, I believe it is $5 for the stay and you get a whole kit which is good if you forget your stuff and want to work out in their gym.

Our stay at the hotel was very comfortable, it is in a great central location, although Horton plaza is going through a big refurbishment project at the moment and there is a lot of building going on, thankfully nothing was happening though Saturday or Sunday but come Monday morning as our room over looked the development it started to get busy with construction noise just after 7am but we were already up by then. Obviously not the hotels fault but just be aware of this if your room faces that direction. Overall our stay was very nice and for the right price I would return.

My only grip, is like most people the cost of $36 per day for parking and the in room internet connection fee of $10.50 or so which I didn’t use. I guess this is nothing new for hotel charges as most seem to charge these types of fees but it would be nice to see a hotel start a new trend and not charge them as it would certainly make for a more positive note.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and quieter room away from elevators etc.