“Four 1/2 stars”

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #40 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I go to an annual conference that meets in a different city each year. Often, the conference is at a Westin Hotel, which it was this year. I have to say, the hotel is excellently situated, although you pay more for staying in the "tourist" area (Gaslamp Quarter). In addition to a modestly (about $10-$20 higher) per night rate, you are assessed an additional $4 (approx) by the city. Still, in my opinion, the money was worth it, and the hotel gave us a conference rate that placed the cost on par with other, non-Gaslamp-Quarter San Diego hotels.

Enough about money. The rooms are large, and I had a water view. The beds are exceptionally plush and comfortable, and there are ample pillows. You definitely get that luxury feel. The shower has a "rain" head along with an attachment if you prefer to direct the spray yourself. It's a nice addition. I also took advantage of the jacuzzi tub in the gym area. (At first I thought each room had one. Not so, although I think you can pay for a room that does.) The jacuzzi is adjacent to the outdoor pool and is open to the air on one wall (covered overhead). It made for nice early-morning and late-night relaxation.

I spent a fair amount of time at the bar at the hotel, both for "happy hour" appetizers between 5 and 7 pm as well as for hard libations later. The bar provides ample room for socializing, and it offers a range of bar stools, tables, and couches for relaxation. I did a lot of networking there.

I don't recommend choosing the hotel restaurant when there are so many other, specialized restaurants in the area. The hotel seems to anticipate this, and so their Pinzimini restaurant is just ordinary. Still, the $6 happy hour appetizers can't be beat.

In spirit, I appreciate the environmentally-conscious hotel philosophy, which encourages you to forego housekeeping and earn $5 per night (in the form of a voucher). I also LOVED the concept of renting workout clothes and shoes for a nominal $5 PER STAY. I could do without the policy of not replacing each flimsy bar of soap every day, though. In fact, in five nights I only got one replacement bar, and that was only after I flushed the small, soggy piece I had left over.

In fact, I found the housekeeping staff to be fairly inattentive. They routinely forgot to replace small items (e.g., a second creamer in the coffee bar), or to remove other small pieces of trash (e.g. a bottle cap on the floor). Trivial though that seems, it left a bad impression. I should add that I left a generous tip at the START of my stay, which usually leads to better service. Not in this case! Wish I had not bothered.

I deducted 1/2 star for the housekeeping, and for the lack of mini-bars in the room or vending machines in the hotel. Sure, they will cheerfully bring you sodas and other snacks, but it comes at a hefty cost!

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, General Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Cleorio -

Thank you for your time and the detailed review of your recent stay at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego. We appreciate all your feedback and I enjoyed reading about your experience.
I am happy to hear you found the Westin Gear Lending program to be so beneficial. It allows you to pack lighter and keep up with your workout routine while traveling. As an SPG member, you are able to use your points to borrow the gear for 375 points or if paying $5 is easier - that is an option for everyone.
We appreciate your support in "going green" while staying with us. This "Make a Green Choice" option is also available in our Sheraton brand hotels. We find our guests enjoy the small perk and even though Housekeeping does not enter your room when you participate, we offer all items on request and can refresh those items through Service Express (ie. need extra towels, more coffee, more shampoo and soap, etc.)
It is disappointing to hear your Housekeeping service was below standard. I have taken the opportunity to share your feedback with our team, as this is not the norm and appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for the rating and review and we look forward to your return, should your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Remain Well
Keri Robinson,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Westin Gaslamp hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of downtown San Diego. My partner and I stayed at the hotel during St Patrick's Day weekend; a time when things were in full swing in the gas lamp district. We had a terrific extended weekend, beginning with the Westin Staff who were both professional and efficient. They provided us with a warm welcome, a lovely room and helpful recommendations on local attractions. Everyone we encountered working at the hotel were all seemingly polite and helpful. A special 'thank you' to Randa Allen who went out of her way to make sure that we were comfortable, cared for, and enjoyed our experience at the Westin. Suffice it to say that had it not been for Randa appearing to go our of her way to make us feel special and valued, I would not have taken the time to write this review. The hotel is modern, comfortable, clean, in a great location, with a friendly and well managed staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and now consider this our hotel of choice in San Diego.

Thank to Randa and the rest of the Westin Gaslamp Staff we encountered for making our hotel stay feel so effortless. I would most definitely recommend this hotel to the traveler who values comfort, cleanliness, and a professionalism in his/her hotel stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Pryett -

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you taking the time to personally recognize Randa Allen, Front Desk Manager and our team for their customer service and going above and beyond to leave you with a memorable lasting impression. I have shared your feedback with our team and personally recognized Randa for her efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you again.

Be Well,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here recently and wondered why I hadn't tried it before. The check-in was fast and personable. the rooms very comfortable, and the staff falls over itself to be sure your needs are met and stay if as perfect as possible.

The location is phenomenal-- I valet parked the car (there is no self park option) and never got in it again. You are perfectly placed to walk to some of the better restaurants in the city and a short cab ride from others.

Clearly I am a fan of this property and would stay here again given it proximity to shopping, dining, and phenomenal service.

Room Tip: Go with even number rooms for a better view
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We booked this hotel about 2 weeks prior to the vacation. Being in our early 30s, we wanted a fun, active spring break getaway with zero chance of drunk college kids. And we succeeded!

The hotel is about a $15+ tip taxi ride from the airport. Or you can take the local bus for $2.25. We arrived late on a Saturday night from the east coast and had no problem checking in. It was seamless and our room on the 15th floor was clean and waiting for us. The bar/restaurant in the hotel is overpriced. $15 for an everyday caesar salad will only fly when you're starving and delirious from a long flight. Skip this place- there is much better food to be found.

The room was clean, had no odor whatsoever, and the climate was perfect. Oh, and the beds are just as good as my $$ memory foam mattress at home. I slept AS GOOD for 5 nights at the Westin as I do in my own house. That was really important as we were extremely active during the day. The staff and concierge were friendly and helpful. The valet is $36 a night and that, while pricey, is what it is. The showers were clean, the housekeeping was done daily (if you requested) and I heard little to no noise on our floor the entire 5 nights we were there. There is construction going on at neighboring Horton Plaza. Yes, you will hear some machinery during the day and see some unsightly demo work, but hey- once it's finished it looks like it's going to be really nice.

Some tips/hints/suggestions:

- If there are 1 or 2 people traveling, take the bus from the airport. So much cheaper than a taxi

- Skip the hotel breakfast and venture a few blocks to the Gaslamp area to find more unique fare

-If you go on a morning walk/run in the downtown area, you WILL constantly run into homeless/vagrant people. They're pretty harmless, and don't vocalize or follow like the bums in NYC, but there are there and (for a moment) spoil the mood.

-Go to the Tourism Office near Broadway Pier to buy discount tickets! We saved $5 per ticket for the zoo and $1 off the USS Midway ship tour. They have really nice pedestrian maps and the people inside are really helpful.

- Make sure to take the ferry to Coronado! The price is $4.25 each way, and tickets are bought at a stand near the docks. We spent the day in Coronado riding bikes for 4hrs ($20 for 4hrs per bike). We had lunch and wandered around. Beautiful houses and golf course to see on your ride. **Bring sunscreen**

- We booked a sailing trip. It's was $100 per person for a 3hr cruise. Look up Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11 on TrpiAdvisor and read the reviews. Every word is true and it is $100 well spent. Perhaps a little pricey for a family, but if you feel like splurging, this would be a good one.

- If you go, be prepared to walk A LOT at the zoo. I'm a regular runner, and 5 hours of hills and sun at the zoo had me wiped out at the end of the day. I know everyone wants to look cute on vacation, but for this excursion, dress for comfort. It's also not the best for someone who's elderly or had trouble walking up steep hills or for extended periods of time. The zoo is definitely worth it. A beautiful expansive area with lots to see and do.

-Weekday happy hour!! Make sure to browse the Gaslamp for happy hour specials! We loved Spike Africa's. The ceviche and garlic bread were amazing! Great prices for food and drinks during HH.

Those are the highlights of our trip. It was sunny and 65 every day!!! Some mornings have the fog that dissapates around 11am, but we couldn't have asked for better weather. Great time in San Diego!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeepGirl19
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I had 48 hours to cram in a weekend getaway, and the staff was so polite and above and beyond helpful! When we couldn't get the hotel room key to work Erik in security personally brought us up 2 new working keys! Other staff even fetched my jacket from my car parked in valet! On another occasion that same Erik gave us detailed directions on where to go eat by the water and where to get our groove on downtown! All staff was very professional and spike to me like i was VIP!!! Thanks to the amazing staff at the Westin and the Royal treatment all around we had one of the best weekends of our lives!!!! Be back again soon:0)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My daughter and I did a Spring Break trip to San Diego and picked hotels by nearby location to what we were visiting, in this case the Zoo and downtown. I really can't find anything bad to say about our stay here. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, and the workout room was nice. The total bill for a nights stay with parking was roughly 230. It was a great place to stay while we toured the zoo and walked around the Gaslamp Quarter.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Shad2s -

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent experience and found our location to be so accommodating.

I am happy to see you had an opportunity to visit our WestinWORKOUT Fitness Studio. It is open 24 hours a day and was recently renovated. We have all new equipment and also feature the Westin Gear Lending program that offers you the option to borrow clothing and shoes to workout for $5 or 375 SPG points. Pack lighter when you travel and know we will have the necessary items to ensure you keep up with your workout routine while away from home.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Be Well,

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Excellent! We spent four days at the Westin Gaslamp for a professional meeting, and were well pleased with the setting and the service. The location was perfect—a short cab ride from the airport, and right in the middle of an enormous variety of restaurants, theaters, shops, etc. The area was very walkable, but cabs were plentiful. Check-in was smooth and friendly. Our room was spacious, quiet, clean and well-appointed, with a lovely view of the waterfront. Staff members were helpful and accommodating, and quick to offer suggestions, as needed. The lobby offered comfortable seating/meeting spots, and featured a snack bar that sold coffee, pastries, sandwiches, etc. There were also numerous quick bite options right nearby. Meeting and ballrooms were clean and appropriately climate-controlled. A great conference site--would gladly return!

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably quieter.