We booked this hotel about 2 weeks prior to the vacation. Being in our early 30s, we wanted a fun, active spring break getaway with zero chance of drunk college kids. And we succeeded!
The hotel is about a $15+ tip taxi ride from the airport. Or you can take the local bus for $2.25. We arrived late on a Saturday night from the east coast and had no problem checking in. It was seamless and our room on the 15th floor was clean and waiting for us. The bar/restaurant in the hotel is overpriced. $15 for an everyday caesar salad will only fly when you're starving and delirious from a long flight. Skip this place- there is much better food to be found.
The room was clean, had no odor whatsoever, and the climate was perfect. Oh, and the beds are just as good as my $$ memory foam mattress at home. I slept AS GOOD for 5 nights at the Westin as I do in my own house. That was really important as we were extremely active during the day. The staff and concierge were friendly and helpful. The valet is $36 a night and that, while pricey, is what it is. The showers were clean, the housekeeping was done daily (if you requested) and I heard little to no noise on our floor the entire 5 nights we were there. There is construction going on at neighboring Horton Plaza. Yes, you will hear some machinery during the day and see some unsightly demo work, but hey- once it's finished it looks like it's going to be really nice.
- If there are 1 or 2 people traveling, take the bus from the airport. So much cheaper than a taxi
- Skip the hotel breakfast and venture a few blocks to the Gaslamp area to find more unique fare
-If you go on a morning walk/run in the downtown area, you WILL constantly run into homeless/vagrant people. They're pretty harmless, and don't vocalize or follow like the bums in NYC, but there are there and (for a moment) spoil the mood.
-Go to the Tourism Office near Broadway Pier to buy discount tickets! We saved $5 per ticket for the zoo and $1 off the USS Midway ship tour. They have really nice pedestrian maps and the people inside are really helpful.
- Make sure to take the ferry to Coronado! The price is $4.25 each way, and tickets are bought at a stand near the docks. We spent the day in Coronado riding bikes for 4hrs ($20 for 4hrs per bike). We had lunch and wandered around. Beautiful houses and golf course to see on your ride. **Bring sunscreen**
- We booked a sailing trip. It's was $100 per person for a 3hr cruise. Look up Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11 on TrpiAdvisor and read the reviews. Every word is true and it is $100 well spent. Perhaps a little pricey for a family, but if you feel like splurging, this would be a good one.
- If you go, be prepared to walk A LOT at the zoo. I'm a regular runner, and 5 hours of hills and sun at the zoo had me wiped out at the end of the day. I know everyone wants to look cute on vacation, but for this excursion, dress for comfort. It's also not the best for someone who's elderly or had trouble walking up steep hills or for extended periods of time. The zoo is definitely worth it. A beautiful expansive area with lots to see and do.
-Weekday happy hour!! Make sure to browse the Gaslamp for happy hour specials! We loved Spike Africa's. The ceviche and garlic bread were amazing! Great prices for food and drinks during HH.
Those are the highlights of our trip. It was sunny and 65 every day!!! Some mornings have the fog that dissapates around 11am, but we couldn't have asked for better weather. Great time in San Diego!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarteris ideally located in the heart of downtown San Diego's historic and vibrant Gaslamp Quarter. Your unparalleled San Diego Accommodations include every imaginable amenity as well as proximity to all a Gaslamp Quarter Hotel offers: the very best of San Diego shopping, dining, entertainment and cultural activities. With striking bay and cityscape views, The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter Hotel features 450 guestrooms and suites, all tastefully remodeled to create a sense of calm and balance—a sanctuary of soothing color palettes, natural wood and stone accents and stylish décor. It’s a Downtown San Diego hotel without compare. Here you will enjoy incomparable San Diego accommodations like a Heavenly Bed®, flat-screen TV and spa-inspired bath amenities. You will leave feeling rested, energized and renewed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego Hotel San Diego