“Frequent Corporate Traveler”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Riverside, California
“Frequent Corporate Traveler”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I travel to San Diego frequently for weeks at a time on business, I have the choice of many hotels including the double tree and the bay front hilton. High caliber hotels typically offer very similar amenities, and dining, It's been in my experience that the employees are the key factor that will set an establishment apart from the rest. On a particular visit I returned from work very much so "under the weather" Kimberly was serving at the Pinzimini restaurant, she could tell that I wasn't feeling well and went the extra mile in trying to accommodate me (Making suggestions on the menu that may have aided in me feeling better) and being very visible with frequent check ins even though between the bar area and the restaurant she was fairly busy. Personable experiences like this from the staff will always make the difference for someone who stays at many hotels. Overall the hotel is in a great location, and is a short ride cab ride to food/entertainment. Since this particular visit I have spent my last 2 trips at this hotel and will definitely refer my fellow co-workers here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and as a frequent corporate traveler, here at the Westin, we understand the importance of being comfortable while away from home. Kimberly is a great asset to our team and specifically our food and beverage operation. I am please she was able to leave a lasting impression on you that will have you returning on future trips. I will ensure she is personally recognized for her efforts.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and story with Trip Advisor and all its reviewers.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Suffield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 26, 2012

A group of us stayed here on a weeklong business trip in San Diego (actually Chula Vista). This was one of the recommended hotels partially because it is in the center of town so I decided to try it. I am glad we stayed here because it turned out to be a great location. The hotel is a short distance to Interstate 5 so easy to get on and down the Chula Vista. Also the hotel is next the Horton mall and the Gaslight district where is a lot of good food choices. It is all within easy walking from the hotel so you don’t have to worry about finding a place to park etc. It is also an easy walk down to the Padre stadium to catch a game (it is pretty easy to buy tickets since they are not usually sold out). Some of the people in my group did that. It is also about 15 minutes to the airport. We checked in and found the staff was very friendly and helpful. I did like the way they come around the counter to give you your room key and any info you need. It is a nice touch. The valet parking attendants were also very friendly and helpful. We asked the where a nice place to eat was a he provided some good suggestions. The rooms themselves are clean and well appointed. the one thing that was little odd to me was a “Green” program they offer where you can get a $5 coupon or 500 points to your Starwood account each day if you decline changing towels and sheets etc., which I accepted. What I did not realize was that they do not come into your room at all. I was at least expecting to have the beds made and some straighten out. Not a big deal, just a little odd. The only nit I had was the bed was not the most comfortable and the walls a little thin. Overall though a good experience and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. We agree that our location is one of our best attributes behind out completely transformed property.
Thank you for participating in the Make a Green Choice program. Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. The $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints® awarded at checkout for each night you declined housekeeping (except day of departure) is our way of rewarding our guests for going green. The details of the program are printed in the room on the door hanger and in the compendium, explaining the program in more details. We do offer items needed upon request but participating in the program is similar to a do not disturb and therefore we do not enter your room at all. I apologize for the confusion and if you are interested in more details - you can visit www.starwoodpromos.com/westingreenchoice.

We appreciate your referral and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived early (0800) and were greeted by very helpful valet parking staff. Our bags were swiftly unloaded and we went to the desk to see if early check-in was possible.

Andrea made us very welcome, and found us a vacant room immediately.

The room was excellent: quiet, a large, comfortable bed, view of the harbour, everything working, good-size and well-lit bathroom.

The quietness was remarkable: no cleaning-cart derby, no cleaners bellowing up and down corridors, and (a clincher) - silent door-locks.

As it was a flying visit, we didn't get a chance to sample any hotel facilities.

The Gaslamp Quarter is rich for foodie explorers; we had an excellent breakfast at Café 222, just minutes away.

Gabe said goodbye; setting the seal on a perfect stay.

1 Thank rcnz
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor regarding your experience here at the Westin Gaslamp Quarter. I am pleased to read we created a great experience for you from arrival to departure. Thank you for personally recognizing both Andrea and Gabe for their outstanding customer service. I will ensure they are both recognized along with the valet team.

We look forward to you return visit to San Diego and the Westin Gaslamp Quarter.

Be Well,
Toronto
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. It is in a perfect location in the Gaslamp quarter. Right in the middle of lots of great restaurants and bars. It is also close to the harbourfront and highway. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff were extremely friendly. There is free wifi in the lobby but you need to pay in the rooms. The one issue we had was that parking was quite expensive. It was $30 a night. The valet service was quick and staff were very friendly. They do have a 'green option' of not cleaning your room everyday and receiving $5 in food vouchers or points. We would stay here again and highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We had a city view room which was still quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
westingaslampSD, Manager at The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with Trip Advisor. We truly value your feedback and appreciate you sharing it with Trip Advisor reviewers. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your overall experience and rated us a perfect 5! As a larger property in a downtown market, valet parking is quite the standard, with few offering self-parking. Our rate is $32/day and your vehicle is parked in a covered, monitored garage. Parking in downtown San Diego can vary from $32 - $45 - valet. We strive to ensure the service exceeds the expectation and the price.
Thank you again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, should your travels allow.

Be Well,
Hitchin
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Just back from this hotel and I am already looking forward to returning. We stayed 3 nights here - rooms great, just what you want/need and in a great location. Just a very short walk away from the Gaslamp Quarter. There is a mall next door and there is also Panera opposite which us excellent for breakfast/lunch/coffee. We got a fantastic rate through Expedia (midweek) was approx £65/night which made this a little gem of a hotel stay. Free wi-fi in the lobby. A nice little pool although the jacuzzi was quite smelly....the gym was fien although really hot int here so I couldn't run for as long as I wished. Overall though - a little gem of a place!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here. Excellent service from the hotel staff. Really nice clean room. Lovely big comfy bed. You can request a free turn down service which was nice but they do come around 7pm! The bar was nice down stairs. Pool area was nice but a little small. I was shocked by the party feel in San Diego in the evening but we were there over a weekend. Hate to say it but it almost has a Vegas feel. However, as I've said the hotel is far enough away to avoid it. We did enjoy our stay and loved the zoo and old town

• Stayed August 2012
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I just checked-out from the hotel and I had a perfect stay!! The hotel has been renovated recently, so they have good facilities and it's a walking distance from the main bars and restaurants from San Diego.

The service was outstanding!!! Julianne and Catherine from the Concierge were amazing, When I arrived, I left my computer in LA and they helped me organizing everything and made my stay be great! It was a 5 star service and I will definetely come back to the property if I go back to San Diego.

Ramda, the clerk at the Front Desk was very helpful also.

Congratulations Westin Team =D

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent 5 out of 5 rating on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and kind words. Thank you for taking the time to personally recognize Catherine and Julianne from our Concierge team and Randa from the Front Office. I will ensure they are recognized within the hotel. We strive to leave lasting impressions with all our guests and create a memorable experiences and I am so happy to read they did just that with you.

Come back and see us again soon.

Kind Regards,