“Very Pleased with Holiday Inn Bayside”

Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside
Ranked #112 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Never being to San Diego before, we knew nothing about where to stay. After looking at several sites, I narrowed it down to a few places. Then I went to Trip Advisor to read the reviews. We decided on the Holiday Inn Bayside. Of course, we would be there 6 nights so I knew we could move if we were not happy. We decided to use public transportation since we didn't know our way around. The bus stop is only 2 blocks from the hotel. Also within walking distance is a Winchell's Donuts, Denny's, McDonald's, Der Wienerschnitzel, and Pizza Nova. There is also a KFC - but I would not recommend it (it was dirty and they seemed to not know what they were doing). There is also a nice restaurant at the hotel, Point Loma Cafe. The hotel offers complimentary airport transportation and wi-fi as well as a pool and hot tub. The room itself was comfortable and the pillows were great. The room was clean and there were plenty of towels and our room had a huge window with a nice view. The kids enjoyed the 9 hole put-put course and the ping-pong table (free to guests). There is also a business center with 2 computers with printers available for guest use. The staff were all very friendly. All in all, I would certainly recommend this hotel. We were only 4-5 miles from Mission Beach, Sea World, Liberty Station and Old Town. If we go back to San Diego, I will stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank NittanyLee
cpoissot, manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2010

Thank you for your great review! It sounds like you certainly made your way around the city quite nicely and took advantage of everything our hotel has to offer. A very experienced traveler!

I'm glad you had the time to walk around the area and find all of the nearby restaurants and took advantage of the public transportation.

I hope you'll stay with us again if your travels bring you and your family back to San Diego!

Reviewed December 1, 2009

Arriving at the hotel after over 20 hours travelling I was exhausted, missing a suitcase and just wanted to hide in a corner. I was checking in at the front desk and was told I'd been allocated a non-smoking room as my preference hadn't been passed on by my travel agent at which point I thought karma was biting back. The man on the desk was extremely helpful and switched me to a smoking room with no trouble at all and when I explained that my suitcase would possibly be delivered to the hotel that night again there was no problem and he said they would call if this happened. I got to my room which was good sized, very clean, and the bed was heavenly, fantastic memory foam mattress and they do indeed give you a range of pillows to choose from - for the sleep deprived this was a gift from the gods. Fell into such a deep sleep that when I woke in the morning I realised I had missed a call - woohoo my suitcase was here. Went to the front desk to collect the case and to put my passport and what not in the safe, couldn't have asked for more friendly and helpful assistance. The Point Loma Cafe was my next stop for breakfast - All the people there are fantastic, everyone is quick with a smile and extremely efficient. The French Toast is to die for and ended up being my only brekkie choice, portions are large and things are extremely well priced. Used it a couple of times for dinner both for sitting in and room service - for a picky eater like me this is indeed high praise. A huge thank you to everyone in the Point Loma Cafe for their contribution to my fantastic mornings.

I used the free internet access regularly and didn't experience any problems accessing or lagging when I was online and I was using it from my room, the cafe, car park, etc. There were several sections of the car park, all of which were spacious and well lit so although female and travelling alone I wasn't wary of parking and walking to my room, I even got a call one night from security to let me know I had left on my interior light, I can only imagine my face if they hadn't contacted me and I had a flat battery the next morning. I booked this hotel due to its proximity to the Zoo and Sea World and I wasn't disappointed, it took less than ten minutes to drive to either from the hotel. I was delighted that I could opt into the good housekeeping scheme and leave a card on the bed to say that I didn't need my bedding or towels changed every night, this is a great scheme but I was happy that it was optional and there was no pressure to participate. If you are staying here and have the chance I would also recommend Seaport Village which is just along the beautiful harbor drive, less than a ten minute drive, and the Seal Tour on their Amphibious Bus is great fun.

Would I go back here? In a heartbeat. I think people sometimes underestimate the value of fantastic staff and here I didn't meet anyone who wouldn't merit the full 5 stars. I have to say though that Carlos in the Cafe gets an extra special star because he was so pleasant and remembered what I had the day before which amazed me.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank fozzibearr
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I was on a one-night business trip and fell in love with this hotel. The view of the bay was great!

I recommend this location highly!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We spent a weekend in San Diego making arrangements for my son's wedding next April. We chose the Holiday Inn - Bayside because it is the closest ICH Facility to Shelter Island and the wedding hotel. I am a Priority Club member with ICH and prefer to use their hotels when possible. This is a large and spreadout facility. We were given what I assumed to be a premium room on the fourth floor of the tower building although being on the other side of the hallway and having a bay view instead of seeing the parking lot would have been nice. We only ate breadfast in the hotel as our days were busy and found it to be better than most Holiday Inn Restaurants.
Overall we had a pleasant experience with the hotel. The housekeeping staff seemed to be very limited in their ability to converse in English, about equal to my command of Spanish but we managed to make ourselves understood. The only concern and aggrevation I had was our neighbors across the hall. There were people in and out of the room continuously all night long each of the three nights we stayed there and they did not seem to care how many times the door slammed. Daytimes a Do Not Disturb sign hung on the door. (Yes I was tempted) Nocturnal activity of this type in a hotel normally leads me to believe that there may be some sort of illegal activities occuring. This is not what I expect of the upper floors of a Holiday Inn in a seemingly upscale neighborhood. Perhaps they have higher class criminals than we have in New York.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JDL12424
Reviewed November 7, 2009

The hotel was fine. The rates were reasonable. However, I was here two different times in the past month with each stay being for multiple nights. My colleagues and I all had the same complaint; the wireless internet was horribly slow. It was so slow; it was painful waiting for pages to refresh. The results were the same no mater what computer was used or whether we were on the first or second floor. The signal was strong, but obviously not enough bandwidth to handle the load. We were only trying to use it to access email and the internet. When you're traveling for business, access to the internet is somewhat required. If you're comparing hotels and need internet access, you might want to try somewhere else. If you don't need internet, then this location is fine.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We pick this hotel on expedia, we really enjoyed our very, very confortable stay; nice clean room. We had read the reviews of fwy noise but not so since we would get there late and go straight to bed. Our weekend in SD was for our son's 4th bdy, we did the who Sea Wrold, SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Trolley Tour(highly recomend the trolley takes you all over and you get to stop at all the interesting points and board off & on all day, very well worth what you pay for this tour), Coronado Island, I almost forgot my son's favorite Seal Tour, SeaPort Village, Maritime Museum & other museums at Balboa Park. Overall lots to do in small SD. We were exhausted but relaxed an extra day before starting our week back to work. We will be going back to SeaWorld before Dec 31, 2009 since we had the 2day pass and only used 1 day. We will be staying at the same SD Holiday Inn again. Very please with our weekend, never thought it would turn out with so much to do...good thing I had kind of an agenda.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for business with a number of colleagues from the UK. The staff were all very polite and a quick and efficient checking in process followed. The rooms are all big and mine had 2 queen size beds! I was overlooking the pool and small putting green. You might end up in a room there or one in the main 5 storey block.
The facilities are all ok, pool, bar, restaurant, shop etc. Breakfast is ok, and i use that lightly. I felt service at breakfast wasn't great and i was there a week. The bar staff were good and I was shocked to find they had stella on tap, a priceless commodity for brits travelling! Oh and the barmaid was lovely!
The rooms were a good size, massive tv, good bathroom and all was cleaned daily. There is free wireless which helped on an evening whilst doing work.
Across the road was the harbour and a few restaurants so choice a plenty. Taxi ride to central San diego, the gas lamp qtr, is about $18. This is where you will find all the nightlife you need!
In summary a pleasant hotel with nice staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business