“Short and Sweet”

Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside
Ranked #112 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I booked one night at this hotel so I could catch a 6.5am flight hoe the next day. The room was
very chic(in the new building) and I loved the spa like shower
Had to pay $10 for parking but everything else was great !

Room Tip: Choose new building
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I attended a seminar (not even a guest at the hotel), it's 10 pm and my car breaks down and my phone is out of juice. I walk into the lobby and I ask to use their phone, the gal who helped me Rachel was awesome, she's was like no problem happy to help. I give road side assistance the hotel's number because my phone is dead and Dallas ( the other staff member) is also very helpful. I ask to use the internet while I wait, no problem, I get a guest code while I wait.

We've all been here and not many places have this level of customer service with non-guests. Most places would give you the 100 question thing "oh are you a guest...blah blah blah". Oh, this is only for guest stuff. Not Dallas and Rachel. Very helpful and made what could have been a bad night an actually very pleasant one. Beautiful lobby, internet, warm, nice music.

As a business owner I travel a lot. I already liked Holiday Inn, but now I really like them thanks to Dallas and Rachel's amazing customer service!!

If you come to San Diego, stay at this hotel, the customer service is top notch.

E Rodriguez

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Good basic hotel in a very good location. We stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013. It was great to be able to walk across the street to eat with views of the harbor. Great base for a stay in San Diego. The hotel was fine - no complaints, but nothing outstanding about it either. Nice pool and onsite restaurant for breakfast or a quick meal.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ebusby
Reviewed December 30, 2013

When I checked in, it was in a brand new large and open lobby after struggling to find the right way to enter the parking lot. I was assigned a room in the 'back' building that I needed to drive to. Trying to find the correct entrance was a challenge that others had as well, driving in the exit to park. The building I was in was 5 stories and there were a few 2 story buildings as well. That brand new tower was 4 or 5 stories. My building was pretty old and likely had not been updated in some time. My room had a nice harbor and downtown view because I was on the top floor. The room was OK, nothing special. There was a very noisy fridge bit no microwave. The heater was difficult to use and kept going from hot to cold. The bathroom was clean but was feeling a bit dated. There is a restaurant onsite and a small store as well. The waterfront is just across the street. Overall an OK hotel but I think I would go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the new building.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
cpoissot, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear travelbertCalifornia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us. While I'm happy that your stay with us was 'okay', we'd like you to return and have a fanatastic stay with us. I'm happy to report that all new case goods, artwork and lamp fixtures are on the way and will be placed in all of our original guest rooms. We are continuously updating our hallways, guest rooms, and landscaping to keep it current and fresh, so if you do return to stay with us, I know you will be pleased with the changes taking place. Our parking structure is very new and we are working out the kinks and really appreciate our guests feedback, so that we can make the changes to make things easier for entry/exit. Would you please email me at cpoissot@holinnbayside.com so that I can hve our engineering staff check out the refrigerator and heater, once I can determine what room you were in.

Charleene Poissot / Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We reserved a harbor view room and were given a room on the 5th floor of the old building. If you leaned out over the railing on the balcony you could see some boats. Not a true view room, not even a partial view. The noise in the room from the A/C, even when turned off, caused us to call the front desk. The engineer they sent said that "everyone complains about the noise" and said we should change rooms. Goodbye to the "partial view" and hello hillside view.

The 4th floor room was just "renovated" which turned out to mean a fresh coat of paint on old furniture. The refrigerator had leaked so often that the particle board was swollen and burst. Plus the coffee pot leaked water. We tried to tell the maid it needed to be replaced but "no hablan Inglés" We just gave up.

Then the reason for never staying in the older buildings kicked in. There aren't enough parking spaces. If you arrive after 6 PM you have to park in front next to the new building and drag your luggage to the back. This is a big property and the walk to the back is long when you are dragging your luggage. Plus they charge you $10 per night for the privilege of parking no where near your room. So if they won't give you a room in the front building just keep looking.

Room Tip: Only stay in the new building where the lobby is located. Skip it otherwise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear FrequentTraveler5,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm disappointed that we did not earn a higher rating from you and apologize for the issues you encountered during your visit. I'm excited to tell you that we have all new furntiture, artwork and lamp fixtures coming to all of our original guest rooms which will mirror those of our brand new guest rooms. It appears you came during a time when we had very high occupancy, which sometimes can make parking near your room difficult, especially if you arrive late to the hotel. I would like to make sure that we pull the coffee pot from the room you stayed in and replace it with a brand new one, so would you mind emailing me at cpoissot@holinnbayside.com, so I can figure out which room you stayed in? The issue with the particle board will be resolved very soon as soon as the new furniture arrives. I hope you will consider staying with us again, and please do ask about availability in the new Bayside Building.

Charleene Poissot / Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Stayed here Christmas Eve 2013 and really enjoyed it. Had a 5th floor tower room with a harbor view. The room was recently updated and very nice and clean. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on and wonderful pillows! I had planned to go out and eat but was tired and decided to try the hotel restaurant. I had the fish n' chips, which I'd been craving for a while, and they were very good. Took a slice of cheesecake back to the room to snack on later - also a good choice. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and the service was prompt and very friendly. I had a drink from the bar which was also very good.
We used to stay at the Holiday Inn by the Bay, closer in to town, but it's a Wyndam now. So I decided to give this property a try. I will definitely return. Nice pool area, which I didn't use, and the property is very well kept. Everyone I encountered was friendly and helpful. Great view too. Really can't go wrong here for what I like in a hotel and I will definitely stay again (and am looking forward to it!)

Room Tip: Get a 5th floor east facing room in the tower buildings.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Koda
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Spend one night here after being rerouted by our airline due to weather. The room was clean, the bed comfy. We were put in the "other" building (I'm sure there's a name for it, I just don't know it) which meant a bit of hike from the lobby. We were offered a ride in the golf cart, but welcomed the opportunity to move around. I was on the first floor, with wide plantation shutters that opened to a private patio overlooking the pool area. I was sorry we weren't staying longer to enjoy the pool and hot tub. As with a lot of hotels, it was a little difficult to find available outlets to plug in device chargers. The bathroom is divided, with a small sink/vanity separate from the toilet/shower area. Nice if you're sharing the room. My only concern was being unable to get hot water. I decided against a shower...! I reported it to the front desk, they were apologetic. If my stay would have been longer, I have no doubt the issue would have been quickly resolved. I also like that the shuttle to the airport was "on demand" so no need to work around a set schedule or get the airport unnecessarily early. The restaurant was closed when we arrived, but the staff was able to provide us the name of a pizza place that would deliver.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business