“A bit cramped”

Ranked #119 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Anaheim, California
“A bit cramped”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at one of the "kids suites" where they have bunk bed for the kids. It's a great idea yet it looks more like an after thought.
In our room it has a king size bed and the petitioned "kid's room" where the bunk bed is. The petition makes the room cramp because the petition wall is about 2 feet to the King bed. If we knew the layout was like this, we'd prefer 2 king beds.
We expected more for the price we paid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OctaneGal
Rhinna M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear OctaneGal:
Thank you for taking the time to write your comment about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you felt that the kid's room was not what you expected as it is the just the size of a regular room with a wall partition to separate thequeen size bed and the bunk bed. I apologize if you were told it is a kid's suite and not a kid's room. With regards to the price, as indicative of the hospitality industry, rates vary depending on season and availability;therefore, rates can be very competitive or deemed high in comparison to other properties. We always do our very best to achieve the best possible rates for our guests. I truly appreciate your feedback and I hope you give us another opportunity as I would love to welcome you back. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer - Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with a wedding, so didn't do any research on other hotels in the area. There is a new lobby with new rooms above it, but we stayed in an older part of the hotel. We had requested 2 non smoking rooms with king beds near each other. I had checked trip advisory a few weeks ago and read reviews of people not getting their requests, so we called a second time and remade the same requests. First of all, our 2 rooms were on different floors on opposite sides of hotel. This was a problem because my sister was traveling alone and would have felt safer near us. Both rooms were non smoking, but smelled like smoke. Only one of our rooms had a king, even though they told us at check in that both were king rooms. We were told that both our rooms were large, nice rooms. After staying here for 4 days I can see there are a lot of rooms worse than ours and smaller. And we weren't able to stay in the nicer newer part of the hotel because we wouldn't get the wedding rate. My sisters room was oversized, but very dark, only one small window. Her room was clean though. My room was a one bedroom suite (we had been upgraded to this before our arrival). It had tons of windows and a view of the bay. Bathroom and beds very clean, but furniture and carpets dirty. Bathrooms in both rooms nice. We were able to entertain other family members in our suite since it was so big. Not sure the upgrade was worth it though since my husband and I had to sleep in separate double sized beds. Have to say this place grew on me after while, but there has to be some better options in San Diego.

3 Thank FiveHawaiiLovers
Dear FiveHawaiiLovers:
Thank you for your comments. Please allow me to apologize for not being able to accomodate you in the guestroom type that you requested when you made the reservation. Due to large number of requests for king-bedded rooms during your stay, we were only able to accomodate what our inventory would allow. I was also disappointed that we were not able to provide you with adjoining rooms as requested. We do our very best to accomodate all of our guests' requests and it is always our intention to provide the best guest satisfaction possible. With the recent renovations of all the bathrooms, I am happy to announce that we will be undergoing renovation this fall to include all new case goods and anticipate the completion by next year. I hope you will visit us again in the near future. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer - Director of Guest Services
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We came to this hotel after we had to leave our previous hotel due to cleanliness. Since walking into the lobby it was a refreshing experience. The front desk was very helpful and even allowed us to view the room prior to booking. The rooms were clean and of good size. The location was great. Across the street is the fishermans wharf. The hotel is a short drive from Ocean Beach and minutes away from Seaworld. This is a very affordable hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to San Diego.

1 Thank mash314
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has everything, new clean spacious modern and comfortable rooms. A terrific view convenient laundry services and very close to everything. Great restaurants and it's quiet enough.

The front desk staff could be a bit friendlier but they made up for being helpful. We'd stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Rhinna M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Snowmad4: Thank you so much for your comments. We strive to provide the best amenities and service to our guests. We hope to serve you again in the future. Sincerely, Rhinna Meyer-Director of Guest Services
Thomasville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Booked through Priceline (equally as TERRIBLE). Against our request for Non-smoking, we were charged and un-notified of being assigned to Smoking Rooms (3). Manager then admitted to me he saw our preference against the smoking room assignment that morning prior to our arrival, but did not fix the problem. (had this been done I would have never even knew the error). But he openly admitted this to me. Then proceeded to only blame Priceline, and agreed to just cancel my reservation, mentioning to his co-worker, "it doesn't matter, we'll sale the rooms anyways. its comicon" Little did he know, this was business trip for 3 rooms, and we will be returning to town regularly with more rooms required. simple, he could have fixed the problem in his side, called that morning, and Holiday inn would have been heros. instead I will never stay at a HI again. also waited 45 minutes just to speak to a "manager" when requested.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Matt G
Dear Matt G: Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to accomodate you in the guestroom type that you requested when you made your reservation. Due to number of requests for non-smoking rooms for that day, we were only able to accomodate what our inventory would allow and found ourselves in an unfortunate situation of not having the proper number of non-smoking rooms available. We do our very best to accomodate all of our guests' request, however we sometimes fall short of this accomplishment. This is offered only as an explanation, not an excuse. I am concerned that you felt our staff made you feel unwelcome at our hotel. Failure to deliver our usual high standards which we promise to each and every one of our guests, is unacceptable at any time. We would sincerely like another opportunity to win back your good faith in our hotel during a future visit to San Diego. Sincerely:Rhinna Meyer-Director of Guest Services
Iowa
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the HDI Bayside during our vacation of the southwest. We usually try to stay at an HI Express anytime we can but for our plans and what we needed, we stayed at the HDI. Although our room was clean and the kids loved it because we had the kids suite with the bunk beds, the tower we stayed in was the "older" tower. So it was rough around the edges (furniture dinged, tiles worn, etc..) but again the place was spotless. I love it when I walk into a room and I smell CLEANER. So even though it was a little less than what I expected (and one has to check into the new building so you can be tricked into believing you are going to get a room as nice as the lobby) my kids were happy with our room and the accommodations.
We did run into a few hitches with our stay which made me almost regret our stay, but the staff are so nice and genuine, I can barely recall feeling frustrated. First off, the dryers in the guest laundry were not the best and one continued to fail me and then another guest who attempted to use it shortly after me. The engineer onsite was responsive and kind. As far as I could tell, he seemed eager to remedy the issue. Also, it is a BIG inconvenience that the main lobby is two buildings away and if you need anything, traveling that far for assistance was a real pain. "Well, why don't you just call, you ask?" Well honestly for the issue with the dryer even the engineer had difficulty getting a hold of the front desk. There was also a LOT of construction and upgrades going on at the time (which generally I won't complain about a property attempting to upgrade its facility) but it the construction prevented easy access from one building to the other. So sometimes getting to the pool was a challenge as was getting to the front desk. Also, our room air conditioner seemed to need constant reminding to stay below 80 degrees. We finally called for help with that and I'm still not clear if that ever really got addressed. Aside, from those hitches, we had a great stay. Staff are nice. Rooms are clean. Folks were responsive and the kids room was a big hit. I would actually stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room, lest you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank klmalcolm
Rhinna M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I am pleased to learn of the outstanding service you received during your stay. Our staff understand our philosophy of customer service and we are fotunate to have them on our team. I am happy to let you know that we will be undergoing renovation starting this fall to include changing of all case goods. And hopefully when you get back to San Diego it would be completely done. Looking forward to seeing you and your family again here at the Holiday Inn Bayside. Sincerely, Rhinna B Meyer - Director of Guest Services
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here as a staff member of a school trip recently. There were 50 of us all together and we were very impressed. Hotel rooms were clean and spacious and bethroom facilities were good.
Pool area was nice and jacuzzi was lovely. Hotel has a small gym and table tennis and pool facilities. We needed to transport all 50 of us to sea port illage which was proving difficult so the hotel took us all in their mini vins at a minimal cost. The staff were very helpful. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends