“Consistently great destination resort!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rancho Bernardo Inn

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #31 of 282 Hotels in San Diego
“Consistently great destination resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I have stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn several times over the past 4-5 years, and we're always treated like lifelong friends by the staff. You can't walk across the beautiful grounds without someone smiling and greeting you warmly. The rooms are a good value for the price, and the remodeled Veranda restaurant is awesome! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Korean first
Butler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

The beauty of theentire establishment was very impressive. The service was unbelievably friendly - form the front desk to the coffee girls. Especially the young gentleman "Blake" , the bell hop. What a great first impression.
It was truthfully the first time in over ten years that I slept very comfortably in a 'hotel' bed.
My wife loved that there were many plugs and extra space in the room - and VERY clean.
My kids loved the many pools and fountains throughout the grounds.
The spa was incredible and beautiful.
I thoroughly enjoyed the golf course and the helpful staff there as well.
Our dinner in the "fine dining' restaurant was top notch!! Being a restauranteur myself - I was extremely impressed with the chefs attention to detail and the knowledge of the food by the waitstaff.
Knowing how difficult it is (first hand) to have a staff follow through with an IMAGE that owners and management want to portray - I have to totaly commend the upper management of this facility. I want to know there secret !! The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights as part of a wedding block reservation. While the grounds are beautiful and the Inn was conveniently located for the wedding events, we were disappointed enough with several small things that we would not recommend the Inn to friends.
First, as another reviewer mentioned, the air conditioning in the room is very loud (especially when you are in the sink area outside the bathroom).
Second, the iron in our room was so crusted with hard water deposits and gunk that it left residue on a shirt. We had to call the front desk twice and stop by once over the course of a day to get a new one (and it still had deposits, though not as bad).
Third, the sound insulation between rooms (especially those with doors that allow for adjoining rooms) is poor. We were in a room next to a family with young children, and the sound traveled right through the (closed) adjoining doors. Crying babies are a part of life, but hopefully not part of your hotel stay.
Fourth, the room was not made up when we returned at 3pm to get ready for the wedding after a day of sightseeing. The housekeeper stopped by shortly afterward, but we had to tell her to come back since we were busy showering and changing.
Fifth, we heard from other wedding guests that one of the other buildings at the Inn was completely without water for most of a day. We were lucky to have avoided that, but now I can guess that's why maintenance men were dealing with a walkway near the family pool that was flooded with stinky overflow water. Yuck.
Sixth, the bridal party had arranged for golf cart service to shuttle the guests between the Inn and the wedding site (at a private home half a mile down the residential road leading to the Inn). When we asked both the valet and the front desk about the service, however, they didn't know anything about it, and we ended up driving to the wedding (we had to arrive a bit early to the wedding to help, but I was surprised that no one had even heard of these arrangements). I'm not sure if this was a miscommunication by the hotel or the bridal party, but it was certainly a frustration.
Finally, I think it is ridiculous that the hotel charges $10 a day for self-parking in an open lot. This is an Inn in a residential area 30 minutes from downtown San Diego where all guests are likely to have a car. Charge for valet, sure, but charging for VERY tiny self-parking spots is a ripoff (and was not mentioned to me when I made a reservation, unlike the $20/day resort fee, which was mentioned repeatedly). I doubt that they charge people who merely come as guests at the restaurants or for events at the Inn, so they certainly shouldn't charge hotel guests.
Again, all of these would count as small disappointments and these things may not have bothered me at a downscale hotel, but when you are paying as much as the RB Inn charges (even at the discounted block rate) I expect more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Good afternoon, I would like to apologize for your recent experience at our resort. I understand little things do add up and I'm very sorry this impacted your stay. Be assured those items you noted are being addressed with the appropriate Department Managers.

We are a Preferred resort, luxury resort and receive high scores from AAA on a continual basis and I'm sorry this was not evident during your visit.

I ask that you contact me directly at jgates@jcresorts.com so I can address your comments and restore your faith in us in us.
John Gates
healthysusan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I managed an event for my company at the Rancho Bernardo Inn that was attended by 200 people. The entire staff went out of their way to make the week go smoothly. The staff truly felt like an extension of our own people. Literally, from the top down, this property is totally customer focused. Our event requires very specific banquet menus and the culinary team totally exceeded our expectations. The quality of the food and the presentation of the food was outstanding. The property is beautifully maintained with lovely spots to relax and enjoy the grounds. The spa facility is one of the finest I have experienced. You can not go wrong at the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Front desk not very friendly - I negotiated a no resort fee but couldnt get rid of the lame $10 parking fee in an uncovered lot by the way. Check out was un friendly as well - bill was in-correct first time and I got attitude when I circled the charges that needed to come off. Kids Rule package attractive - all meals for kids free. Premium room was good - the hotel needs newer plush toels - the pool towels were better than the room towels. I wasn't treated by the hotel staff as well as I would have like for the $269 a night - before taxes and all. Veranda restaurant is good - good view - almost all waiters were good except for one. BEWARE - The pool on Rancho Bernardo Inn's website is the SPA pool with cabana's - no kids allowed - the family pool is nothing special at all....plus there was next to nobody staying at the hotel - I think I was being lied to over the reservation phone when I was haggling over room prices - wasn't a WOW experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Thank you for your feedback on our Resort and our Kids Rule, Parents Drool program. I’m sorry that your Front Desk and Resort experience did not meet your expectations. I personally guarantee that the Rancho Bernardo Inn will meet and exceed your expectations on your next visit with us. I would like to invite you to contact me so that we may discuss how I can restore your faith in the Rancho Bernardo Inn. Please e-mail me at Jgates@jcresorts.com

John Gates, General Manager
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Be well aware that this hotel will charge an additional $22.50 a day for (Resort Fees)and $10 parking fees. This is charged even if you never use any service of the hotel. The hotel had a negative vibe at the front desk. Every dealing with them, they referenced that this was a Priceline reservation. I have never had this experience before. Maybe I have become chain hotel oriented, Always the same and knowing what to expect. Over all condition of the hotel is ok. There is no wow factor here. Air conditon is very loud in room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Anotherknight
Thank you for staying at the Rancho Bernardo Inn and for your feedback on our Resort fees. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced and want to assure you this is not characteristic of the service we provide at the Inn. Please contact me directly so I can address your comments and restore your faith in us. Jgates@jcresorts.com
John Gates
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Went there fora meeting but it felt like vacation! Excellent food even for the whole group, very friendly efficient service, terrific large room with very comfortable bed.

• Stayed July 2010