“Rancho Bernardo Inn disappointing”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #27 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Jose, CA
“Rancho Bernardo Inn disappointing”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We arrived at the Rancho Bernardo Inn Saturday evening with a pre paid reservation. We were told by the girl on duty at the front desk "sorry we can't accomodate you, we are full"
I then explained we had a fully paid reservation and phoned the prior evening to confirm our reservation of a room with 2 beds and the time of our arrival. I was then told "sorry, it's first come, first served." I will skip many details but the bottom line was I had to get the manager and argue for something I already paid for. We were finally given a room, which was very nice and I must say the grounds are beautiful, although the spa was going through renovations. We only ate breakfast at the Veranda which was very good. I believe this hotel is lovely, it just needs better trained staff and clairification on hotel policies. It is a bit out of the way being situated in a residential area but close enough to the freeway so you can get many places quickly. Oh, as for the hotel being full, we only saw one other person in our building the entire time we were there so i'm not sure what that was about.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank caligirl111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2006

I have stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn numerous times for business. Although this hotel is near our client's office, my colleagues rarely stay here, opting instead for a nearby 2-star hotel at the same (corporate) rate.

The grounds are beautiful, the rooms nice, but the service is erratic at best. Certainly not what you would expect of a self-proclaimed luxury hotel. Many of the employees are young and inexperienced - they seem to be students who are never there long enough to get to know the hotel or its policies well. Many times, I have asked a simple question that had to be referred to a supervisor.

In addition, the rooms are not well maintained. On different occasions, I have had a stopped-up bathtub, a non-working internet connection, a broken alarm clock, and quite a few mis-programmed keys. The food is delicious, but the bar is the only place to get good service with it. Individually, these are not big issues. But together, they really detract from the serene, relaxing atmosphere that this hotel could so easily support.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nyc
Reviewed April 24, 2006

i have family in the area and have tried the other local hotels. this is by far the best in the area. we love the convienent location. near the city and near the mountains. they try to charge extra parking but always take it away when asked. people pleasant great grounds and pools. gym so so but on the whole we always go back

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank anovick
seattle
Reviewed March 30, 2006

Some aspects of this place are fine. Food service is a strength.
In four stays, my final bill was never correct once. And I stopped billing items to my room tab after my 2nd stay.
Hospitality is uneven with some highs and some disappointing lows.
The plumbing is challenged; getting attention for plumbing problems was easy one time, problematic another time.
Lighting is consistently dim.
I stayed at this place multiple times before moving to something more modern, more hotelish.

Stayed August 2004
Downtown
Kimpton Solamar Hotel
Kimpton Solamar Hotel
#41 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!