“worst of the worst”

Ranked #28 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
irvine, ca
“worst of the worst”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

beautiful hotel...grounds and pools but not too clean...you do expect much better for this kind of hotel...the room was good...no bottle of water for welcome as most these hotels worldwide offer...a resort fee of $20 for internet, and coffee machine which we did not use any of these 2 and also the resort fee is charged if you are using the room safe....wow...look like they charge the room and also the equipment...never heard this in my entire life and anywhere else...i never travel to san diego, my first and last time...but i do travel all over the world in most cases in 4 and 5 stars hotels....
the service from the reservation to the restaurant booking and the service was mistakes after mistakes no apologies whatsoever...really ridiculous...
the service does not exist so be on your own...good luck...
of course i suggest that all of the guests really refuse to go in this kind of property and no wonder they donot belong to the business bureau...it will be too many complaintd to handle...yes the overall property was nice but nothing extraordinary and after all the frustrations we have been through, the average score is a generous 1...even motel 6 might do better on the overall score...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eiffeltravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Korean first
Oceanside, CA
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We have stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn on several occassions and I must say it is one of the best resorts in San Diego. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful. The rooms are warm and relaxing and the decor is updated. But the best part is the bes, pillows, and linens—heavenly!!! My husband loves the golf! And, I love everything else about RBI!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
canada
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I went there for my second time and was very please I went over the weekend of Labor Day , The front desk was very helpfull . Room was very clean and service at the pool was amazing , I ran into the GM there who I think his Name was Mr Gates and he stopped and chatted with me and asked how my stay was going , Very Friendly and personable , Will stay there next time for sure . 2 Thumbs up from this happy camper

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We decided to visit the Rancho Bernardo Inn with our children for our 18th anniversary. We brought along our 15 and 11 year old and wanted it to be family time and couples time. It all turned out great. We had several great meals (breakfasts and great dinner...including Friday night buffet at the Veranda) at both restaurants and quick service location and the food and service was outstanding. We also visited the spa and fitness center on multiple occasions and found them clean, well managed and staffed with courteous associates. We would visit the resort again in a heartbeat and truly got a weekend away of both family and couples time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We have been staying at this hotel for 10 years because we have an elderly relative who lives a few blocks away. It used to be very charming - a historical mission style hotel which in recent years has been "upgraded?" by vanilla-washing many of the walls and ceilings and removing some of the beautiful old antiques. Yes - the rooms are more modern with nice plasma TV's and the spa is quite nice. But what really irks me is that after you book a room at the rate shown online, they tack on extra fees for self-parking, the wet bar, a resort fee (even if you don't golf, swim or use the gym). I hate it when hotels play games like that. We stayed there recently and I was told that I would be allowed to swim in the new spa pool by paying the resort fee, but once there I was told I'd have to pay an additional $10 to the spa and the pool hours were very limited. (The time before, the pool was closed for 2 days for cleaning. ) Boy has this hotel gone downhill!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharon2004
las vegas
Reviewed September 11, 2009

As mentioned in the other reviews the website is very deceiving with their photos. This place is very old and run down on the outside, however the room we were in was nicely remodeled. The pool they show online is not the pool you are allowed to use unless you have booked at the spa for that day but no where do they mention that, as stated in other reviews the pools you are allowed to use are no better than a motel 6 pool. The pools are not conveniently located by the rooms so we only used it 1 time. There is no elevators, where we were located was the 2nd floor in the middle of the hotel so up 2 flights of stairs and down the long hallway was no fun at all with luggage and children, this was everytime we left. I will say that the staff was friendly until check out. At check out we were hit with an unexpected additional 232.00 to out hotel bill. We were there for 7 nights/8 days and were charged a 20.00 a night resort fee (that covered the so called free internet) and an additional 10.00 a night parking fee so the additional 30.00 a night added up. We were not told about this fee upon check in yet the hotel manager was not willing to do anything for us so we were stuck paying that. We also ordered room service breakfast one morning for our family of 4 and an additional 20.00 was added to that bill,18% gratuity and a tip, on top of that they expect another tip when delivered (this is standard in all hotels for room service, so not just this one) but when you are paying that kind of money you would expect the food to be delivered hot, but it was cold so our 80.00 breakfast was no good at all. I hate to see what dinner for 4 would have cost us as everything in the resort was very over priced.
I was so upset at check out that honestly if I were offerd a free week there I would turn it down so fast. I was very unhappy with this place and have no desire to ever step foot on this property again as I have stayed at nicer Holiday Inns. Please do not expect much from this hotel when booking, ask about any additional fees up front and you may have an ok stay but for the nightly rate they charge I would really really recommend another resort. Oh and the resort is full of cobb webs they dont even try to clean up. Our balcony was covered with them, so gross we would not use it and above our door hanging from the light for 2 days was a spider with its dead dragonfly and you would think room service would take a broom or something and try to clean it up.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank christigreg
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The Rancho Bernardo Inn used to be a lovely hotel. I can tell even though I had not been there before this stay. It is now a bit worn, and it needs some tender loving care. But, with the emphasis on service, I think they will do well. I cannot complain at all about the service received at this hotel...it was TOP NOTCH! The staff is well-trained in how diffuse difficult situations, and although we had a few hitches during our stay, I would definitely give them another chance. Due to some flooding issues, we had to change rooms, but they upgraded us to a nice room with a better view (golf course). Too bad the air-conditioning didn't work very well in our room, but thankfully it was cool at night so we could have our balcony doors open to welcome the breeze. To also make amends for our inconvenience, they provided us with a fruit, cracker and cheese basket as well as a bottle of Evian. We also received 2 free breakfasts. And to ensure our giving them another chance, they recently sent me a free night's stay good for a year. My husband and I definitely plan to take them up on this offer as we enjoyed playing golf there. Hopefully the golf course will be in tip top condition when we come back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
The US Grant
#46 of 279 in San Diego
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!