“Well-manicured grounds but pretty average stay”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #23 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Stayed at RBI over July 4th weekend for a wedding that was held there. It's a nice resort and the grounds are beautiful, but to me, nothing was overwhelmingly impressive.

The AC unit in our room was awful – it blew out damp, humid air and even turning it down to the low 60s didn’t seem to cool things. We heard the same from several other guests, too, one of whom had to switch rooms altogether in order to have properly-functioning AC.

The room itself was fine - generally comfortable but as far as decor, it was slightly dated. The bed in our room was positioned at an angle which made the room feel smaller than it probably was. Our room had a patio, but unfortunately we never used it because there was a heavily-trafficked path in front of it so there wasn't much privacy.

Free wi-fi is available--a big plus in my book. And I loved the Aveda toiletries in the bathroom, which was kept well-stocked!

Room service was tasty and reasonably priced, as were poolside drinks. Don't attempt to bring your own drinks into the pool area, though. We saw someone try to but they're big sticklers about that (understandably so).

The staff was very friendly, and did an excellent job in terms of the wedding, cocktail hour and reception. It was really well-orchestrated and the meal was great.

One other thing to note - the resort isn't in San Diego proper. It's about 30 min. or so north. The hotel doesn't offer a shuttle to/from the airport, but they did recommend Cloud 9 Super Shuttle. Had I known it would take me 1.5 hours to get to the resort via the shuttle, I would've just sucked it up and paid the $75 for a cab.

I wouldn't be opposed to staying here again, but it also wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2009

I took advantage of a special that included a massage at the spa. I had a relaxing time and took advantage of the amenities. The spa is located on the opposite side of the resort from our hotel room. My massage was great and did not feel rushed. I enjoyed the peaceful stroll through the resort and layed out at the adult pool most of the day. We left the resort for a wonderful dinner at Carver's. Breakfast at the resort was okay, but enjoyed the view from the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I just got back from the hotel and I stayed for business but brought my husband and 2 1/2 year old daughter too. The meeting facilities were nice but spread across the campus so it was a hike depending on where the meeting was. The rooms were spacious and nice but not fancy or modern. The hotel had a ranchy-type feel to it and service was always prompt and excellent! The food was also excellent! The beds and pillows were comfortable. A couple colleagues did have A/C problems as one reviewer also commented on. The kids program was not that great, at least as far as I could tell. The web site lead me to believe it was a very kid-friendly hotel, but I think its not really good for younger kids - the hotel was overall very quiet and had an adult feel. No other kids were there the 2 nights we stayed. Also - the location is 35 min from Sea World and Legoland... if you plan to go there, pick another hotel or you'll spend your vacation commuting in the car!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2009

My husband had a business trip to Rancho Bernardo so we tagged along with him. He has stayed here before and told us how beatuiful it was. He was right. We traveled with our two teenagers and though the hotel median age was much older, they relaxed and enjoyed themselves in the pools and hot tubs and just enjoying the lovely gardens and grounds. Our room was comfortable and clean, we were able to sleep with the sliding glass doors open and enjoy the cool breezes at night. Breakfast at the Veranda was nice, the outdoor fireplaces are all lit at night and it is relaxing to sit and unwind in front of one of the roaring fires. They smells of rosemary, lavender and magnolia are all around, the gardeners do a fine job here. It is also a twenty to thirty minute drive to all San Diego attractions as well as the beaches of SoCal.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank grazipat
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We wanted to find a nice place to stay for the holiday weekend with our two kids and boy did we luck out. The property is beautiful, with fragrant jasmine blooming everywhere. Our package included dinner at the Veranda restaurant and it was delicious. There was a Wii room for the kids with popcorn and ice cream bars. We were lounging around a bonfire by the pool one night and the staff brought out everything we needed to make s'mores. The pool was clean, large and refreshing. It was just a fantastic weekend for adults and kids alike!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I don't expect perfect, but when something is amiss, I expect responsive service for it to be corrected, pronto. At the Rancho Bernardo Inn this was my exact experience.

The rooms are lovely, nicely appointed with comfortable beds, fluffy cozy comforters, crisp linens. All this with free internet service, either Wi-Fi or plug in. Nice touch. Our room had a large Hi-Def TV. It also had a non-functioning air conditioner. We got in late, and didn't notice it at first, but in the middle of the night, we knew something was amiss, as the cozy comforter was tossed off to the floor and we lay under the sheet...still hot.

"I think it's just blowing air" I said. My husband agreed. Next morning we reported it, along with a broken hairdryer (you know people, if you don't let them know things are broken, it can't be fixed - so be sure to report those things); and within an hour all was once again right with the world. Our next night we were able to comfortably cuddle under that cozy comforter.

Heads up: there are no elevators. So if you have a second floor room ask for help getting your bags up there, you will be gladly accommodated. If yo have problems with stairs, be sure to ask for a ground floor room.

My husband and son played 9 holes of "twilight" golf the next day. The course was beautiful, well kept, manicured greens. The play was slow due to one group playing; it would have been nice to have a Marshall on the course to ask them to "step aside" and let others play through, I don't know where he was but my son played his best 9 holes ever anyway.

One caveat: While playing, they bought a hot dog (well, how can you play golf without a hot dog and beer?). My husband set his dog down to play and when he came back he found nothing. HUH? He searched around, found the foil, the bun and the relish scattered all over and then saw the squirrel running up a tree, hot dog in mouth.

LindySez: It's a beautiful place to stay, comfort, classy, responsive to your needs. Look for the "GMgonemad" deals on Twitter and watch out for the hot dog stealing squirrels.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank LindySez
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Just returned from a four day conference and RBI. Check in was smooth and efficient. Beware of the $20 resort fee that is in addition to the nightly rate, I do not believe this is negotiable and I consider this sort of fee a hidden charge. Room was spacious. Bathroom is in need of a serious remodel but clean. Sheets and pillows were clean and very comfortable. I found the room itself to be a bit dirty and untidy, but only if you looked closely. Example, a small stain on the chair and the bed lamps were crooked. At a high end hotel I expect nothing to go unnoticed by the cleaning staff. But it was. The staff on property were excellent. The meeting facilities were sufficient and the meals were above average, especially breakfast. If you get a spa, ask for Brianne, she is great.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business