“Excellent Resort”

Ranked #31 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Millsboro, Delaware
“Excellent Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed at this resort for a business conference. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. They always went above and beyond. Also, the resort was fully booked the night before I arrived, so the rooms weren't immediately ready. However, the staff did an excellent job of managing the situation. The spa was excellent as well!!! I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Korean first
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just returned from a business conference at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. Having been to
Torrey Pines and "The Del" on several occasions, I presumed this property would be similar.

Not so much ... but lots to like:
1. The two golf courses are perfectly manicured and quite challenging.
2. The food in the restaurants is very good.
3. The staff is extremely friendly.
4. The landscaping -- for the most part -- is simply beautiful.

Some things you may not like:
1. This place is a looonngg way from the airport. To be exact, it is a
$100 taxi ride from the airport. Definately consider a rent car.
2. The rooms are a little tired. My patio area had not been mowed in weeks.
The A/C was completely unpredictable, although you may not need it.
3. My biggest disappointment was their room service. The menu is limited and
the food is borderline bad. If you order the crabcake, carefully inspect it before
you partake ... uh, the term "road kill" comes to mind ... sorry.
4. This property is a sprawling maze of walkways, up and down hills. If you are
not a triathlete, be prepared to pant alot ... or, request a room close to the lobby.

Overall, I don't think I would go back on my own nickle. The place is actually reasonably
priced but I would much rather spend a little more and return to Torrey Pines or "The Del."

I hope you find this review to be fair and helpful. Safe travels & God bless!

Room Tip: Depending on what you like, you probably want to be close to the lobby. That's where the resta...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank RosieTexas
Hidden Hills, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I just returned from four nights at this resort and we were happy with the accommodations.

I was disappointed with the pool situation as I wanted to lounge and do some quiet reading. One pool was reserved for a group of families there for the Passover holiday, the other pool was designated as a family pool and the pool at the spa could only be used if you had a treatment that day or paid a $30. daily use fee. It would have been very nice to have had the daily spa fee waived for adults wanting a quiet time by the pool since the adult pool was off limits.

Our only complaint about this place was the food service. We ate most of our meals in the Vernanda and found the service to be lacking. For example, on Easter morning at 9:50 a.m., we arrived at the restaurant and was told by Leah that she could only seat us in the inside portion of the restaurant. There were only 3 or 4 tables on the patio occupied at that time with at least 9 empty tables. She said all of the tables outside were reserved. After we finished our breakfast at 10:45 a.m., I went back outside and there were still 6 or 7 empty tables. I spoke with Leah who exhibited an attitude that she couldn't have cared less.

At the extreme opposite range of service was a server by the name of Vicki. She was outstanding! She was attentive, pleasant and couldn't have done more for us. We left one evening with dessert to eat later in our room and she slipped in an extra coffee for my husband saying she didn't want him to run out before dessert was finished. Her attitude, service and overall customer service skills were so excellent that I am writing a separate letter to the management of the resort so that she might be recognized in some way.

While the food was good, the service (except for Vicki) was very slow. The waiters were all pleasant so it might have been a problem in the kitchen but the service was slow throughout our stay. The only time our meals arrived in a timely manner was when Vicki was our server. On Wednesday morning (our last day), we stopped there for breakfast before leaving. There was no one else seated outside but we waited at least 15 minutes before anyone came over to take our order. We were just getting up to leave when he (I won't mention his name) approached to take our order so we ended up staying as it was more convenient than finding another place on the drive home.

One pleasant surprise was the jigsaw puzzle in the lobby which was great fun to work on throughout our stay.

I would definitely recommend visiting this resort. It was a lovely place and we enjoyed our stay. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because of the restaurant service. If you do visit, be sure to ask to be seated at one of Vicki's tables. Also, we were apparently given 2 free drinks cards at check-in which we didn't know we had and didn't find in the cardkey holder until after we'd checked out. Be sure to look for them so you can use them during your stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the spa area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Really great property, stunningly beautiful. Went above and beyond with anything we wanted. THe family package was awesome, they set up a tent in our back patio for our young son and making so'mores around the fire pit is something he won't forget. THe family pool was the only pool we used, the adult pool was closed for a private group and even though I had a spa treatment, I did not know about the spa pool until I arrived, however, I probably would not have used it, as once again, adults only. You don't have to golf to enjoy this resort, beautiful surroundings and the veranda restaurant is lovely in the evening with the view, the fireplace and the live music. We will return definitely. We were going to go to Ojai Valley Inn, this one is nicer and much more affordable. Rooms could use a little refreshing.

Room Tip: get a room facing the spa.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JCResortsMarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thanks so much for your review, Kimm! We're thrilled the hear your family enjoyed our Family Fun Package, and we appreciate your feedback. Looking forward to your next stay!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our family went to Rancho Bernardo Inn for a weekend stay and had a fabulous time. There is so much for a family to do that we never left the property. The food at all of the restaurants was delicious.

Room Tip: We had a view looking at the golf course and it was beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I used their room/spa package as an excuse to come here for a weekend "staycation." I couldn't be more impressed. The grounds are beautiful and serene, the Veranda restaurant had a great menu and ambiance and the spa area was the icing on the cake. After a wonderful massage in an outdoor casita, I enjoyed the spa-guest-exclusive saline pool and jacuzzi. I was able to relax all day thanks to lounge chair food and beverage service. I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014
JCResortsMarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
So glad to hear you enjoyed your staycation, Huffy! Looking forward to your next stay. Thank you!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We needed a break from our routine and started looking for a place less than two hours away that would have some sun.

Turns out we found a great spot. RBI I has been tucked away east of San Diego forever, but doesn't feel old, it is in great condition with comfortable updated rooms with flat screen tv, Kuerig coffee makers, the resort fee (I am a proponent) was all inclusive. Valet or self parking,wifi, pool towels, free local and long distance phone usage, business center, etc. Having been a road warrior for 20+ year! nothing irked me more than nickel dime charges at a hotel or resort for the above services. Most recently at a major chain hotel I was asked to pay a $10 wifi charge per day for each device (we had six, with four people)

The ambience is so nice, lots of little areas to just sit and visit, staff was friendly, but here's our only negative. Service in he food service area was slow and apparently not well trained. There were exceptions, but we mostly appeared to be invisible until we spoke up and asked for help. Food was mostly good, and our dinner in Avant was awesome in quality and very good service, talked to our server and he had real skills learned over the years which are lacking in so many fine dining restaurants all over now. Did I mention training with expectations and follow up?

Having over 40 years in the Foodservice and hospitality business I feel qualified to comment and would gladly share specifics if asked.

My wife used the spa and said five star all the way, I didn't play golf this trip but will next trip.

Overall we had a great time and with a tweak or two, this is a five star resort with value.

Room Tip: Go for a golf course view,
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JPG1944
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Rancho Bernardo Inn. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed all our amenities and the ambiance of the Inn. I would love to hear any specifics you would like to share about your dining experiences at the Inn. You can contact me at cbuchhauser@jcresorts.com. Looking forward to your next stay; hopefully you’ll have a chance to hit the links and join your wife for a spa treatment!

All the best,