“Relaxing place to stay!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #28 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
La Habra
“Relaxing place to stay!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn on Valentine's weekend. It's on beautiful grounds surrounded by a golf course. It's understated elegance is very charming! We took a walking tour of the fountains that they have on the property. Each one has a story! The restaurants have good food and drinks. The slow service is my only complaint. ( Every time we've been there it's been slow)
Other than that, everything else is great! We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed 4 nights at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for a company meeting - what a treat!
My bedroom was really nice, with a terrace overlooking the swimming pool (one of!), very friendly and helpful staff - during all my stay I ate there and the food was always excellent!
loved it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in Feb. 2014 for a business conference. I arrived after dark, which probably didn't allow for the best first impression. The property is not small, nor is it laid out in any kind of intuitive fashion. The front desk clerk gave me directions to my room and I had her confirm them. However, virtually as soon as I got out of the main lobby and started the journey to my room, signage was virtually non-existent and I found myself backtracking and hunting for room numbers, building names, or any other indicator that I was going the right way. At one point I crossed through the pool area twice, thinking maybe the access to the rooms was from that side of the building. Alas, I found the access to the side of the building that would provide entry to the rooms, but the room numbering was a bit bizzare. Rather than starting the room numbers with "1" for the first floor, "2" for the second floor, and "3" for the third floor, they were all "1". I traversed all 3 floors before I found my room. The room numbers beside the stairs wasn't well lit, and bulbs in the lamps by the exterior stairwells were often unlit, making finding the room that much harder. Anyhow, eventually I found my room, but I was glad that I only had a rollaboard bag and a briefcase and that I wasn't traveling with my family of 5. They'd have all been pretty irritated that it took 10-15 minutes to find the room when it was only 2-3 minutes from the front desk.

The room quality was good, and there was evidence of recent renovation. I really liked the individual balcony and my particular room overlooked the family pool. While that may have created a noise issue if the weather was warmer, the pool didn't get much use while I was at the resort, so I found it quite pleasant. In fact, I slept with the door to the balcony open a couple of nights and the sounds of the water fountains and the pool were very soothing.

The bathroom was also good, with a stand-up shower, a sink and a toilet behind a pocket door and a separate sink between the sleeping quarters and the full bathroom. Being just one guest, I could use either sink, but if I was traveling with my spouse or family, the 2 sinks would have been a plus. The king bed was angled in the room and the sleeping quarters must have comprised about 350 or 400 sq. ft, so it certainly seemed like a spacious room, especially for a 4 night stay.

On the down side, I felt like the resort let a lot of details slip, particularly in the area of lighting and signage. Numerous lights were out along the exterior corridors and stairwells of the building where my room was located. This created some logistical and safety issues. Other exterior lighting was ajar, giving the impression that the maintenance staff wasn't particularly detail-oriented. While the resort provides a map of the property, finding the fitness center, gym, and conference center was not especially easy, especially if you get up before dark to work out like I did. The first morning I tried to find the gym, thank goodness I took the map, as I had to stop several times along the way to get my bearings. At one point I took a wrong turn and found myself along the golf cart path, rather than headed towards the fitness center. Signs were limited and not especially helpful. That said, once you find your way around, it becomes pretty straightforward. But that takes a time or two around the property, and I think the resort could help its guests out in that regard.

Once my conference was over, the spa was my next destination. I found the staff to be great, and the overall facilities were very good. I was less than impressed with the men's locker room, which was generally unattended and was in need of some tidying up, as previous guests' towels and robes were strewn about. The steam room and hot tub were okay, but really nothing to praise. The showers were also just "okay", and the shower products were mislabeled, with one of the containers reading "shave gel" when it was, I assumed, body wash, since the other two dispensers were "shampoo" and "conditioner". The spa "waiting area" was good, but the reading material was pretty limited. The hot and iced tea and water were nice, as was the granola and the fresh fruit. I think the reception staff should probably give each guest a tour of the spa facilities rather than just telling the guest what's available, because the various amenities are kind of spread out. There's a small plunge pool kind of adjacent to the outdoor massage treatment areas and between the locker rooms and the spa pool, but I didn't really see that until I went out for my massage with the therapist. I probably could have enjoyed the overall spa facility more with a bit more of an introductory tour.

All that said, I had a pedicure, facial and massage, and all three staff members were terrific and the services were spectacular. I give the resort very high marks on that front. I just found the locker facilities to be a little underwhelming given the rest of the spa.

I sampled a couple of the dining venues. I had lunch beside the spa pool one afternoon and on the Veranda another afternoon. I grabbed a sandwich, chips and water from the sandwich shop and sat along one of the many outdoor seating/meeting venues on the third afternoon. I ate dinner solo at the Sports Bar two different nights and thought the service and food quality was very good.

Overall, I give the resort high marks, but I felt like the missing details left me wanting just a bit more. The "little things" would be easy to correct and I think they'd make the guest experience, particularly in regards to finding various parts of the resort, much better and less frustrating. Once a guest gets "the lay of the land", I think the visit goes well, but it really could be great right out of the box if they simply pay attention to some details.

Room Tip: My room overlooking the family pool was very nice. I would choose that again.
Woodland Hills, CA
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have purposely waited a couple of weeks to write this review. I wanted to let the time pass from one incident toward the end of my stay so that I could be a little clearer in my judgment. So here goes… We stayed at the Rancho Bernardo inn a couple of weeks ago as part of a youth sports tournament in the area. Our team booked several rooms and I myself had 2. I had long heard about how nice the property was so my wife and I were anxious to see if it lived up to its reputation. The property was really nice. Adjacent to a golf course it felt much bigger than it was. The grounds were great and several paths for walking. There was also an outdoor fireplace area. The rooms themselves were very nice and comfortable. They had nice balcony’s overlooking courtyards and the pool. There was a nice little coffee shop where you could get food and beverages. What really soured me on the place was when I asked for a late check out for one of our rooms (the kids had a late game). I was told that the hotel was booked solid and that they needed to clean the room. They then said however, if I wanted to pay ½ a nights stay I could keep the room until 5pm. I questioned the front desk clerk as that would mean the hotel was not really booked but rather looking to nickel and dime me. The girl just said “I am sorry” ( I passed on the offer and we went to a double feature instead.). As you can see I stay at a lot of hotels and I can honestly say I have never had a late check-out flatly denied (usually they will give you an hour at least). So please note when I rate the service at this hotel a “1” it is reflective of the management not the hotel staff. The property is truly a very tranquil and very nice but I would find it very hard to book there again after being that experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikepoly
JCResortsMarketing, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Mikepoly,
Thank you for choosing Rancho Bernardo Inn. We take great pride in creating experiences for our guests and I truly appreciate the positive comments regarding the hotel and amenities. After review, unfortunately, during your stay the hotel was limited in room availability thus not being able to accommodate a late checkout. As a gesture to alleviate the need for a longer stay, the offer for a ½ day was suggested. Though not ideal, we wanted to make sure we could accommodate your needs while ensuring availability for other guests arriving. I fully understand your concerns and hope this does not keep you from staying with RBI in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to your future visits.

Moya Phimmasane | Director of Front Office Operations
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is very classic and beautiful. I have attended conferences and truly enjoy the rooms, food, lovely environment, and friendly staff. The pools are nice, the hot tubs are very comforting, the flowers are pretty. the art work is wonderful, there are many comfy places to sit and nice places to walk.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have balconies.
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This place is a great place to take the family during the holidays. We have a large family that is always looking for festive things to do in December.

The holiday decorations are adorable and kids get to enjoy story telling time with one of the elf helpers. There are also tables where children and adults can decorate gingerbread cookies to take home and enjoy the next day!

The best part of this seasonal offering is that you do not need to be a guest of the hotel to enjoy it, although it would be nice to spend the night there during the Holiday Season.

Enjoy if you are able to make it there in 2014!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The staff at Rancho Bernardo are wonderful. Thanks to their assistance, expertise and customer service, our conference was seamless and truly enjoyed by all. We have held many conferences, but this one definitely stood out as one of the best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
The US Grant
#46 of 279 in San Diego
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!