“Far Below 4 or 5 star”

Ranked #27 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Laguna Niguel
“Far Below 4 or 5 star”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I came in expecting 5 star and was very disappointed. This may have once been top notch, as the grounds are quite beautiful, but this hotel has major issues that need to be addressed:
*service was far below standard at the Veranda restaurant and at Spa poolside
*false advertising...screaming, unruly kids at the adult pool
*not conducive for elderly...no elevators, too many stairs, dark, shower very dangerous to enter and get out of (nothing to hold on to)
*smells like they need to rip out carpeting and get rid of mold, smells musty
*room 271 had bleached out stains all over carpet, TV reception was terrible
*way to expensive for what you get

• Liked — Service from Manage, Leo when I complained
  • Disliked — not what was expected, all the way around
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jpusz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We have just spent a week of our vacation at Rancho Bernardo Inn and we think it was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. I have read some other reviews which are less complimentary about the decor, and yet we still loved it. This is not a place for people who want marble bathrooms with gold taps - this is a place with a relaxed clubby atmosphere, with comfortable, rather than glitzy rooms. The food in the verandah restaurant was consistently of high quality, but for our last night we ate in the El Bizcocho fine dining restaurant and it was nothing less than superb. The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful (the front of house manager went to a great deal of trouble to help us with route planning to local attractions) and we loved every minute of our stay. We had a couple of minor housekeeping issues (we asked for an early turndown for our kids, and it took a few days for this to work) but overall we loved it.

• Liked — Huge flat panel TV
  • Disliked — Rather small bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I cannot comprehend how this facility was rated the number one spa in America by Conde Nast readers. They must have had an extremely small sample set or something.

I"m not saying I didn't enjoy my stay - I had a very pleasant weekend here. The service was friendly and helpful. They dry cleaned my sweater after a bird pooped on me. Ha!

I enjoyed a manicure and pedicure at the spa, which were... well which were as good as any other mani/pedi I've ever gotten. Nothing special. The workout facility? Nothing special. No yoga classes, no aerobics. The pools? Nothing special.

The hotel itself is very dated. I felt like I was staying at Kellerman's, except that Johnny Castle wasn't there to teach me the mambo. The bed and tv were nice but the bathrooms are just very old.

I dunno. I wouldn't tell people NOT to stay here, but I can't say I'd recommend it enthusiastically either. What I do know is that I will take any future Conde Nast ratings issues with a big grain of salt.

• Liked — Location, spa pool
  • Disliked — Dated rooms, tiny and blah hotel pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Two words...false advertising. This is not a luxury or sophisticated property as the hotel claims. The pictures on the inn's website are highly misleading. The property and its accommodations are rustic, not elegant. The outdoor walkways to the rooms are disgusting. Dirty, carpet full of stains, and also some graffiti on the walls. The room had a nice view of the gulf course but was the quality of a Holiday Inn. Plain and simple, if you're looking for an elegant hotel experience (such as The Four Seasons, Ritz, etc.), do not stay here. My husband and I were so turned off and disappointed in the Rancho Bernardo Inn, we checked out immediately after seeing the room. The only positive thing about this brief "stay" was the customer service. The front desk and bell staff were extremely friendly, accommodating, and professional. In fact, they referred us to The Grand Del Mar. We ended up staying there and it exceeded our expectations.

• Liked — Customer service
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mica_Puppy
san diego
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Charming. You feel away from it all, yet still close to all San Diego attractions. Service was some of the best I ever had. Food was fantastic and the Spa even better. Ya gotta go.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
LA
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I was really looking forward to this one night getaway from LA we were going to have and I just got back tonight. I have to say from the moment we arrived my experience began to go downhill. When we pulled up at 8PM on a saturday night there was no valet or bellman to greet us. I simply opened my car door and my girlfriends and opened up the trunk and got my luggage out and waited for a few minutes and finally saw someone and I said, "Excuse me we are checking in." No one opened the door for us or anything. We finally got to our room and I have tosay the room besides the very nice TV looked like the room PRIOR to the multi-million dollar rennovations. The outside and inside decor of the whole hotel resembled a motel. HONESTLY!! The pools were outdated and had no real ambiance at all. The sheets and pillows were the worst I have slept on in so many years. The massage today was pretty good but I can tell you one thing, the spa that is supposed to be #1 in America is definetly not #1 in America! The food was actually pretty good and this morning we sat outside and had breakfast in the Veranda and the nest thing we all knew, a golf ball came flying at our heads. No warning or nothing so be careful. I am a golfer but did not golf this trip and the greens were nothing of a private country club that it is said to be. Very inconsistent with color and a mix of brown and dried grass every few feet. Overall, I have been to some pretty amazing hotels and this was suposed to be a great one, however I have truly no desire to go back here again and would be truthful to say I wouldn't feel comfortable reccomending it to people who wanted an incredible experience. Decent at best.

• Liked — Food, 42 inch quality plasma tv and massage quality but not spa facilities
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derektravels
San Francisco
Reviewed June 13, 2008

The RBI was recently rennovated since our last stay 5 years ago on our wedding night. We had a premium resort king which was nicey furnished and had a golf course view. The resort is very beautiful. The grounds are well maintained. My wife and I enjoyed a couples massage in an outside cabanna. The treatment was ok but the facalities were great. They have a salt water pool only open to spa guests. The pool is very big and we were the only ones in it. The spa lockers are also great.

El Bizcocho, the main resturant, is one of the best places to eat in the world. It was as good as we remembered it. The food, wine and service were top notch. While dinner will cost a few hundred dollars, it was well worth the splurge for us.

Lunch at the Veranda, the other resturant, was very disappointing. The service was not attentive and the food quality of my steak was poor. My wife's pizza was the better selection.

One major complaint: In addition to the "resort fee" now common everyone, the RBI also charges another $12 or so for self-parking. These fees add another $25 onto an already expensive stay.

• Stayed April 2008
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#44 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!