“It should have been a lot better”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #27 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Woodland Hills, CA
“It should have been a lot better”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have purposely waited a couple of weeks to write this review. I wanted to let the time pass from one incident toward the end of my stay so that I could be a little clearer in my judgment. So here goes… We stayed at the Rancho Bernardo inn a couple of weeks ago as part of a youth sports tournament in the area. Our team booked several rooms and I myself had 2. I had long heard about how nice the property was so my wife and I were anxious to see if it lived up to its reputation. The property was really nice. Adjacent to a golf course it felt much bigger than it was. The grounds were great and several paths for walking. There was also an outdoor fireplace area. The rooms themselves were very nice and comfortable. They had nice balcony’s overlooking courtyards and the pool. There was a nice little coffee shop where you could get food and beverages. What really soured me on the place was when I asked for a late check out for one of our rooms (the kids had a late game). I was told that the hotel was booked solid and that they needed to clean the room. They then said however, if I wanted to pay ½ a nights stay I could keep the room until 5pm. I questioned the front desk clerk as that would mean the hotel was not really booked but rather looking to nickel and dime me. The girl just said “I am sorry” ( I passed on the offer and we went to a double feature instead.). As you can see I stay at a lot of hotels and I can honestly say I have never had a late check-out flatly denied (usually they will give you an hour at least). So please note when I rate the service at this hotel a “1” it is reflective of the management not the hotel staff. The property is truly a very tranquil and very nice but I would find it very hard to book there again after being that experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikepoly
JCResortsMarketing, Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Mikepoly,
Thank you for choosing Rancho Bernardo Inn. We take great pride in creating experiences for our guests and I truly appreciate the positive comments regarding the hotel and amenities. After review, unfortunately, during your stay the hotel was limited in room availability thus not being able to accommodate a late checkout. As a gesture to alleviate the need for a longer stay, the offer for a ½ day was suggested. Though not ideal, we wanted to make sure we could accommodate your needs while ensuring availability for other guests arriving. I fully understand your concerns and hope this does not keep you from staying with RBI in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to your future visits.

Moya Phimmasane | Director of Front Office Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is very classic and beautiful. I have attended conferences and truly enjoy the rooms, food, lovely environment, and friendly staff. The pools are nice, the hot tubs are very comforting, the flowers are pretty. the art work is wonderful, there are many comfy places to sit and nice places to walk.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have balconies.
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This place is a great place to take the family during the holidays. We have a large family that is always looking for festive things to do in December.

The holiday decorations are adorable and kids get to enjoy story telling time with one of the elf helpers. There are also tables where children and adults can decorate gingerbread cookies to take home and enjoy the next day!

The best part of this seasonal offering is that you do not need to be a guest of the hotel to enjoy it, although it would be nice to spend the night there during the Holiday Season.

Enjoy if you are able to make it there in 2014!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The staff at Rancho Bernardo are wonderful. Thanks to their assistance, expertise and customer service, our conference was seamless and truly enjoyed by all. We have held many conferences, but this one definitely stood out as one of the best.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We decided to stay here over presidents day/valentines day weekend for a last minute "babymoon" at 37 weeks pregnant, so we were only looking at staying places within an hour and a half or so of home. We were very pleased with our choice. The decor and feel of the grounds was amazing. Very charming.

The grounds are beautiful and we spent a bunch of time walking around and enjoying them, and even did a little maternity photo shoot on the grounds. We sat on the balcony (ours overlooked the pool) and enjoyed the (very quiet) adults only pool. We visited the bar (you get complimentary drinks with the resort fee - $19 per day, includes wifi and parking) but did not visit the restaurants on site as they were quite busy (we heard they were great but we never made reservations). Within 10-15 minutes drive there were endless restaurant and small activity options, so we ventured off the resort for most food. We used self park and it was very easy.

The setting of this resort is great, the rooms are huge (ours was 2nd floor Santiago and had huge vaulted ceilings), the bathroom had a very nice tiled shower stall with great water pressure, and every experience we had was positive. A great weekend!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

RBI hosted our international model launch in February 2014. The service levels were exceptional with all staff contributing towards a fantastic experience for our guests. Every interaction with RBI Pre, during and post event has been handled superbly. Location of the property was perfect for our requirements, although entrance through neighbourhood felt a little strange on first visit. The team at RBI put together the best and most enthusasitic site visit 'show' I have experienced in this industry and carried that through to the event close. If you are looking for a responsive, customer focussed partner to host a large event in San Diego - look no further. Highly recommended.

Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We recently stayed in a standard room at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for a weekend getaway and I must say the property is spectacular except we were disappointed with a few things: 1) bathroom in our room was small and disappointing. It appears to be in need of an update. 2) we ate breakfast at Veranda and paid $40 - it was disappointing for the price we paid. However, that said, the room was nice…a bit small and oddly shaped - there was an area in our room that looked like it needed a piece of furniture but was empty. Avant was fabulous and the grounds were beautiful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cali_traveler2b
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Cali Traveler, thank you for your feedback on our resort and AVANT restaurant. I wanted to address your comments on our guest bathrooms. The Inn is in progress of having each guest bathroom fully renovated and as well as new paint, carpet, upgraded linens and duvets in each bedroom. We have completed approximately 75 bathrooms and anticipate renovation completion by September.

I hope that you will return to see how our guest rooms have been transformed.

Best regards,
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#45 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!