“Property is Spectacular But...”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #21 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We recently stayed in a standard room at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for a weekend getaway and I must say the property is spectacular except we were disappointed with a few things: 1) bathroom in our room was small and disappointing. It appears to be in need of an update. 2) we ate breakfast at Veranda and paid $40 - it was disappointing for the price we paid. However, that said, the room was nice…a bit small and oddly shaped - there was an area in our room that looked like it needed a piece of furniture but was empty. Avant was fabulous and the grounds were beautiful.

1  Thank cali_traveler2b
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Cali Traveler, thank you for your feedback on our resort and AVANT restaurant. I wanted to address your comments on our guest bathrooms. The Inn is in progress of having each guest bathroom fully renovated and as well as new paint, carpet, upgraded linens and duvets in each bedroom. We have completed approximately 75 bathrooms and anticipate renovation completion by September.

I hope that you will return to see how our guest rooms have been transformed.

Best regards,
John Gates

Write a ReviewReviews (2,072)

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We recently had our dealer meeting at this resort. With about 300 people attending a 2 day event the staff at Rancho Bernardo delivered. Excellent food and super friendly staff that were very helpful accommodating us.
Rooms were clean and comfortable. My room was in the building called "The Greens" and it had a decent sized balcony overlooking the golf course, 2 double beds, fridge, coffee maker, separate shower and bath and large closet. The 'Greens' is a bit farther away than some of the other accommodations and has 3 levels. The 2nd level is only accessible without having to use stairs so good to keep in mind if your mobility is limited. Accommodations closer to the front desk are on the same level.
There are 2 restaurants (one more upscale) and 1 bar. The hotel catered our meals (which were great) so never had a chance to try the restaurants.
Everything is quite spread out and being on a hill there is a fair bit of walking up/down. On whole the resort is not as wheelchair friendly as other places but it does have several ramps to most outdoor areas or going thru the resort is another option to access some of the conference rooms.
It is located on average 20 mins from the airport and ocean (La Yolla) and has an 18 hole golf course that is kept in great shape.
Overall helpful staff, great food and close enough to the ocean but in a quieter setting (surrounded by residential).

Room Tip: rooms in "The Greens" are somewhat away from the main resort area but close enough to rest...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We love the outdoor patio restaurant. The view is lovely, there is a fireplace and open seating. A great place for a glass of wine.
We had dinner with our family on Tuesday Taco night, a party of 9, with 5 kids. It was lovely and relaxed, except they forgot the 2 kids meals and we had to remind them after we had been waiting for a half an hour.
The room was a little shabby - in the Fountain complex. Run down fixtures in the bathroom. Cleaning service was very late in the day - after 3, which was late for us with children.
My biggest barrier to not giving them higher marks was the general overall cleanliness. We left a pizza box outside our room and it stayed there overnight. The kids pool had wet towels and cups/ leftover food around all afternoons.
There were a few business groups there and in the morning on my way to the gym the path there was covered with wine glasses, cigarette stubs and room service trays.

• Stayed: February 2014
JCResortsMarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for reviewing Rancho Bernardo Inn. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the property as well as your feedback on the speed of service you received, your bathroom fixtures and leftovers. We take your feedback seriously, and I have shared your review with the related departments. We appreciate you choosing us, and we hope to see you back again. Thank you!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was my second time staying at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. The hotel property is gorgeous, no doubt about it. The public spaces are cozy inside, with that special brand of California upscale luxury that doesn't seem to be trying too hard. The exterior spaces are manicured within an inch of their lives and look beautiful. Upon entering your room, however, it all falls apart. My room in the "Gardens" building was small, dark and depressing. I was there on business, and as a single guy, it was fine. If my wife had been with me, I would have needed to change rooms. The whole building needs a renovation. The paint outside was peeling and there was a large piece of wood trim that was rotted away (see photo). The A/C unit was barely able to keep up (and it was cool outside). When it did work, it was loud and seemed to turn on and off inconsistently. The thermostat didn't work right, so it was a bit of a hit and miss experience. The carpet in my room was stained and faded. If you go to Rancho Bernardo, pay up for a better room and avoid the "Gardens" building!

Room Tip: Avoid the "Gardens" building at all costs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LPavarotti
JCResortsMarketing, Online Specialist at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Rancho Bernardo Inn. We appreciate your positive comments about the property as well as your concerns regarding the building you stayed in. I apologize that your room did not meet the expectations that the rest of our resort has set. Please let me assure you that the Gardens building rooms are currently undergoing renovations and are all receiving new carpet. I've shown your image to our maintenance staff and they will be addressing those exterior touch-ups as well. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Rancho Bernardo Inn was a beautiful hotel and our room was perfectly sized. I would highly recommend it to our family and friends.

The next time we visit, my husband and I will certainly take advantage of the Golf.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weekend at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but had heard wonderful things. I was not disappointed. In fact, I can't wait to go back! The resort has a very charming older feel. It doesn't feel old like it's in need of updating, but more like they've worked to maintain its classic character over the years. The grounds are pretty and throughout you'll find fountains, beautiful gardens and wood burning fireplaces. There are so many quiet seating areas scattered across the resort which invite you to sit and read, relax, have a conversation or enjoy a drink. The resort is decidedly away from it all - about 30 minutes minimum (with no traffic) from downtown San Diego, the Airport, or the beach.

On Saturday evening we enjoyed live music on the patio, and had dinner at the bar on Sunday evening. We ate breakfast on the Veranda both mornings and really enjoyed it. Our waitress even remembered what we liked to drink the second morning - a very nice touch. All the food and drinks we had were delicious.

The bed was very comfortable and the linens were soft. The room is nicely appointed; we appreciated the Keurig machine for coffee or tea in the mornings. The bathrooms are fine, but certainly could be updated to reflect the character of the resort. All in all, it's a great resort with a classic and charming character. We hope to return!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Talk about bang-for-your-buck!
This is a multi acre, 50 year old property with trees aplenty. It has a high desert feel with clear fresh air. It is close to the best of SanDiego yet far from the traffic and noise.
From start to finish,every staff was bright good natured and ready to help.
Brandon is the front desk manager and was our gracious host. His father and mine were hotel managers. When I say this place was great I know what I'm talking about.
When we made our reservations we were told we could request a room upgrade when we registered . We did and got a very fresh,large room.it had a large flat panel tv,free wifi,jacuzzi tub and two queen sized beds that could challenge Westin Hotels "heavenly beds" for comfort. The sheets must be 800 count material.
We enjoyed our lunch at the Veranda restaurant. We both ordered fish and chips. They came in newspaper which is what you expect in London.
The fish was piping hot,moist,in a crispy light batter. My wife is from Oxford and she said the fish and chips were the best she has eaten except for a trip on the QE2. And they had the proper vinegar.
Their attention to detail is exhibited by their food preparation,the manicured landscapes, the well maintained buildings and their consistently gracious staff.
Our room rate was inexpensive but it was really so when you factor in FREE BREAKFAST in our room.....not just cute rolls but bacon and eggs,bagel and lox.... And my wife loved the cute rolls.
Oh,and the golf course looked great. We don't play. We just eat!
We will go back. Vic and Barbara Pine.

Stayed: February 2014