“I Would Give it 10 Stars if I Could!!!!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #28 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Miami Beach, Florida
“I Would Give it 10 Stars if I Could!!!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

From the minute we drove up to the property, we were greeted by an incredibly friendly staff, who catered to our every need. Being that it was Christmas time (we stayed Dec 23-26), the hotel was lavishly decorated with lights, festive trees, there were Christmas Carolers, an enormous gingerbread house, warm fires in the fireplaces and fire pits outside and fun activities for the kids. Our room was on the second floor with a balcony. Beautiful and clean! When I happened to mention that my husband's birthday was the 23rd, they congratulated him and later dropped off a complimentary bottle of red wine, a platter of cheese, crackers and grapes with a personalized note! Now that is what I call outstanding customer service. Any time we needed anything, they were there. The hotel had a Starbuck's on property, which made it so easy to grab a coffee, snack, etc...we also enjoyed the bar and it's restaurant which thankfully was open on Christmas night. Delicious butternut squash soup and seared tuna caesar salad! Since we were out most of the day, we did not take advantage of their spa, golf course and other amenities, but they looked amazing. The best part is that I booked this hotel online on Black Friday for $89/night! It included the parking and complimentary drinks upon arrival. We were truly knocked out by the hotel and especially it's staff. They worked as a team, were always helpful and friendly. They even found a laundromat for me to wash my clothes in the nearby area. I would more than highly recommend this hotel to friends, strangers, anyone! It definitely made our Christmas more special, as they made us feel special for staying there! Thanks a million for a great stay!

Room Tip: From what I saw, there was not an elevator from floor 1 to 2, so if you are handicap or have trouble...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014

we have stayed at the inn for the past 3 years for december days and nights and we love being there to celebrate the holidays. the decorations are amazing, the cookie decorating fun, carolers are wonderful, we LOVE the whole experience of dec days and nights. BRAVO RB Inn for a great xmas celebration. the hotel needs some updating however. the room that they put us in (after asking for a toddler friendly room) was on the second floor with no elevator. my senior mother and my son struggled with the stairs. it was also a little far from the festivities so a bit of a walk or had to call a golf cart which was not great. the room service was horrendous. the food was so gross. it was like it had been frozen and it was not cheap. it was $60 for 2 pizzas which we could not eat they were so gross. there was also a hard time communicating with room service--they had to call back several times to go over order and it took almost an hour to get the food. totally unacceptable. there were also a lot of little errors with the bill when i was checking out---i was overcharged about $80 when i went over my bill so be sure to check it. i feel mixed about RB INN--i would probably stay again because dec days and nights is so magical but would not order room service again and would keep my expectations low and be more specific about the room we need.

Room Tip: if you are traveling with a toddler or senior ask for a room that is NOT on the second floor with no...
1 Thank kelli10024
JCResortsMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Kelli,
Thank you for taking the time to review Rancho Bernardo Inn. I'm glad to hear your family enjoyed December Days & Nights, but disappointed to hear about your room placement and room service. The experience you described is not acceptable, and I will be sharing your feedback with the staff involved. We appreciate your patronage and will make sure this experience does not repeat itself.
Oakland, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at RBI over the Christmas holiday for three nights while visiting family nearby. We stayed on the ground floor of the Hilltop building. Overall, it was a nice stay but there were a few things that felt out of character for a resort hotel that boasts luxurious service.

1. After driving five terrible traffic rage inducing hours through LA to get to RBI, the woman who checked us in at the concierge desk was rude and curt. A little disheartening considering how exhausted we were. However, everyone else that we interacted with were friendly and helpful.

2. Once we got to our room, I noticed there was still garbage (M+M candy wrappers and used tissues) tucked on the shelf space behind the bed. For a room that should be completely, clean, this was disappointing. But the grossest part of this was when I woke up the next morning, I noticed I had been sleeping on an M+M the whole night. The room LOOKED clean when we checked in so how does candy garbage get ignored and were the sheets even changed? For a hotel of this caliber, this should not happen.

3. After the garbage and M+M in the bed, little things that I would normal shrug off ended up adding to my checklist of complaints such as: the heater lamp in the bathroom would intermittently shut off while using it (faulty wiring?), only one of the bedside lamps would dim, the outside porch light was broken. For the price, these little problems stood out.

4. The quality of the food was disappointing. Everything tasted as if it was frozen and thawed, lacking flavor and effort. Huevos Rancheros tasted like tomato soup on eggs. The guacamole and chips were bland. The burger was dry. The most enraging part of dining here was the prix fixe Christmas menu. I understand that they might be understaffed on a major holiday but the food they served that day was just terrible. We paid $150 for a lunch that we could have had at Applebee's. Waste of money. Surprisingly, the best meal I had at RBI was the breakfast buffet.

Overall, we had high hopes for this resort hotel but our experience (while being comfortable and pleasant) did not meet our expectations.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vivian C
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed with the kids for a night for the first time and we loved everything in this hotel, the room was great, the outdoor decorations very festive and the event was great as well, the kids loved it, I highly recommend it, we will be back every year for the December nights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JCResortsMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Azucena, we are thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your first stay with us! We look forward to having you back... Happy New Year!
laguna hills
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had a room in the "hilltop" 2nd floor. It was a very cozy, woodsy room. It was nice having a balcony although we didn't use it much. The bathroom is definitely a bit old but it was functional and had two sinks which was great! We did have a little issue getting to the second floor w/ our 3 month old daughter and all her items (Stroller, car seat, bags filled w/ formula and diapers, etc). There was no elevator in that building. I just assumed all hotels have elevators but this was a very unique place. Next time I'll just ask for a handicap accessible room. Other than that, the blow dryer in my room made a crazy, scary, screechy noise which I couldn't use..sounded like it would explode. Told the staff the next day so they can replace it. Wasn't a big deal. Food at the Veranda lounge was good. The best part was they had numerous seating area all throughout..beautiful benches among trees, etc. I'd go back for sure.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs, make sure you request a room that is handicap accessible.
Victorville, California
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I took our Mom here for a celebration girl's night. It was wonderful. The grounds are beautifully kept, the Christmas decorations put us all in the mood of the season. The sprawling facility took us an hour to leisurely stroll through and rest at the many outdoor seating areas. We bought a special deal through travelzoo which brought the regular price way down and included some freebies. The outside of some buildings seem very outdated and we were worried when our room was in one of those buildings... But the room was clean, nicely decorated, updated bathroom, Kurig coffee for free, large flat screen TV, refrigerator with free water bottles too. All of the employees were very friendly and the valet even offered is cold water bottles for our journey. The Veranda restaurant patio was relaxing with beautiful golf course views while we enjoyed (our included) breakfast buffet (regularly $17). The picture you see on their website of the beautiful pool/cabanas is their spa pool which costs another $30pp per day to use. The hotel pools are no where near that amazing and could use some updating. I will definitely look for more special deals to go back to this hotel. The regular price is a bit high for me (which is why I down graded the value regarding the regular hotel price. The overall value with my special was amazing!).

• Stayed December 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

A lovely Resort Hotel. Classically elegant with an old world style and so much to see between lovely gardens and walks, beautiflly lanscaped proerty with swimming pools & 2 wonderful golf courses and practice facilities, A myriad of verand's and small cosy private areas both outside and inside to relax and unwind.

Unlike many resort hotels it has a feel of total peace and quiet and you are not overun with too many other guests, even when a lot of guests are there.

Highly Recommended

Walter Hill, Dublin Ireland

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for an upgraded room with views of Golf Course. It is worth it
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#44 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!