“Rancho Bernardo Inn December nights”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #27 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Chula Vista, California
“Rancho Bernardo Inn December nights”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed with the kids for a night for the first time and we loved everything in this hotel, the room was great, the outdoor decorations very festive and the event was great as well, the kids loved it, I highly recommend it, we will be back every year for the December nights.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JCResortsMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Azucena, we are thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your first stay with us! We look forward to having you back... Happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
laguna hills
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had a room in the "hilltop" 2nd floor. It was a very cozy, woodsy room. It was nice having a balcony although we didn't use it much. The bathroom is definitely a bit old but it was functional and had two sinks which was great! We did have a little issue getting to the second floor w/ our 3 month old daughter and all her items (Stroller, car seat, bags filled w/ formula and diapers, etc). There was no elevator in that building. I just assumed all hotels have elevators but this was a very unique place. Next time I'll just ask for a handicap accessible room. Other than that, the blow dryer in my room made a crazy, scary, screechy noise which I couldn't use..sounded like it would explode. Told the staff the next day so they can replace it. Wasn't a big deal. Food at the Veranda lounge was good. The best part was they had numerous seating area all throughout..beautiful benches among trees, etc. I'd go back for sure.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs, make sure you request a room that is handicap accessible.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Victorville, California
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I took our Mom here for a celebration girl's night. It was wonderful. The grounds are beautifully kept, the Christmas decorations put us all in the mood of the season. The sprawling facility took us an hour to leisurely stroll through and rest at the many outdoor seating areas. We bought a special deal through travelzoo which brought the regular price way down and included some freebies. The outside of some buildings seem very outdated and we were worried when our room was in one of those buildings... But the room was clean, nicely decorated, updated bathroom, Kurig coffee for free, large flat screen TV, refrigerator with free water bottles too. All of the employees were very friendly and the valet even offered is cold water bottles for our journey. The Veranda restaurant patio was relaxing with beautiful golf course views while we enjoyed (our included) breakfast buffet (regularly $17). The picture you see on their website of the beautiful pool/cabanas is their spa pool which costs another $30pp per day to use. The hotel pools are no where near that amazing and could use some updating. I will definitely look for more special deals to go back to this hotel. The regular price is a bit high for me (which is why I down graded the value regarding the regular hotel price. The overall value with my special was amazing!).

• Stayed December 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

A lovely Resort Hotel. Classically elegant with an old world style and so much to see between lovely gardens and walks, beautiflly lanscaped proerty with swimming pools & 2 wonderful golf courses and practice facilities, A myriad of verand's and small cosy private areas both outside and inside to relax and unwind.

Unlike many resort hotels it has a feel of total peace and quiet and you are not overun with too many other guests, even when a lot of guests are there.

Highly Recommended

Walter Hill, Dublin Ireland

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for an upgraded room with views of Golf Course. It is worth it
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
artbcpa
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Having stayed at the Rancho Bernando Inn several times before, I was eager to show my special someone this lovely place during the holiday season...and yes it was decorated to the hilt for the Holidays. But this was not the hotel I remembered.

The Rancho Bernardo Inn needs a MAJOR overhaul. Our room was attrocious. The 5-star restaurant - El Biz - had been converted to an avant garde sports bar of mediocre quality. The public areas have lost their lustre.

Here are some examples:

The water backed up in the shower. A fan in the bathroom continued running throughout the night. The duvet crackled anytime you moved. The automatic check-out system would not work. Kids ran through the hallways. When we called the front desk, they were clueless.

A total disappointment . I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artbcpa
JCResortsMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hi artbcpa,

I’m sorry to hear that your most recent stay with us was disappointing. Many of the rooms are currently undergoing renovation to assure that this kind of experience never happens again. I will be addressing the issues you brought with the staff.

Thank you.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 20, 2013

...stays I've ever had, in any location, in any place. Period. This quiet unassuming spa/hotel is tucked away in a neighborhood that grew around it, about 30 minutes north of San Diego, and until recently I had no idea it existed in spite of many trips to San Diego. Without being pretentious, this hotel exudes a sense of style and elegance that is sincere, humble, and gracious. Every staff member we met went above and beyond our expectations. There was a genuine sense of camaraderie and a real concern for our well being. Being greeting (we were expected) upon arrival with a minimal checkin process, and introduction to our accommodations, we settled in to our suite before a trip to the spa for an after-flight massage. The spa staff were simply amazing. Arlene made our introduction to the property and amenities fun and comfortable. I am now addicted to Fluffy Bunny (thanks!).

The first night’s stay, post massage, led us to give the new property restaurant Avant a try. Do not miss this opportunity. In fact, even if you stay in San Diego, drive north and experience this. Chef Nic Bour, whom we later met and befriended at the bar just prior to closing, has created a modern, crisp, pallet of food that is unusual, lush, clean, and vibrant. We had quail (2 ways), New Caledonia Blue Prawns, and other mouth-orgasm inducing items. Seriously, Nic, brother, please come to Seattle – visit, stay…

On another day, a visit to the Veranda restaurant (did I mention the entire food program is managed by Chef Nic?), led us to a couple of dishes that exceeded our expectations. Shoestring potatoes that are to die for. One of the best prime rib dip sandwiches I’ve had on the west coast (oven roasted tomatoes? Seriously?) and a simple chicken sandwich executed perfectly.

The staff made us feel welcome with every interaction. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The grounds are elegant, quiet, and comfortable. DO NOT miss an opportunity to stay here. You will relax, restore, and refresh. I cannot wait to come back. Inga, Greg, Nic, Arlene... Thank You Thank YOU!

Room Tip: We were in one of the Presidential suites on the north end of the property. But from our experience...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We were all really excited to stay here for my cousins wedding (they had the rehearsal dinner one of the restaurants). Let me just say, Conde Nast, you let me down again....

I'm sure at one point or another this hotel was nice. However right now, it's tired and just plain dirty. As we were walking to our room, we noticed that there were spider webs all over the corners in the hallways. It was the middle of summer, and our AC didnt work. When we complained to the front desk, they said that it was because it was so unusually hot? isn't that the point of AC???

Staff seemed like they didn't care at all. We held the door open for one of the bellhop guys...who was texting someone on his phone...didn't say thank you or anything, and actually looked pissed off....

I can honestly say that I would have rather stayed at a Hampton Inn or something over this "charming little hotel"

We'll never go back :)

Room Tip: Don't do breakfast outside...it's a beautiful setting over looking the golf course, but ther...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#44 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!