“spa day with overnight stay”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #31 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Beaverton, Oregon
“spa day with overnight stay”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a wonderful place. We checked in for spa appts at 11;30, not expecting to get our room until after but, it was ready and we got an upgrade! Lovely people everywhere that we went. Kind and attentive, very sincere and helpful. It seemed that they were happy working here. The whole resort was spotlessly clean. The spa was very nice and my massage was great. We ate at the Veranda and enjoyed it very much. Again, nice staff, good food and a great relaxing atmosphere. Our room was lovely and had everything we could have wanted including a Kerig coffee maker and fridge. I would recommend this for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Korean first
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I recently stayed here on an overnight business trip to Rancho Bernardo. This is a difficult hotel for me to review because it is not a cookie cutter, "looks like every other hotel in the chain" type of place. It is a very unique property, full of charm and quirks.

First, it is located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, complete with 25 mph speed limits. I was anxious to get to the hotel, check in, and relax after a long flight and lots of traffic, but I quickly realized I had to slow down before I even arrived and slowly and carefully navigate neighborhood side streets before arriving at the property.

When you do arrive, you will be stunned because it really is a remarkable property. There are several buildings with a wide range of accommodation types. It is very easy to make a wrong turn in the grounds and find yourself in an unfamiliar building. As it was, I had a room facing the family pool. ( It was a quiet week, so there was no noise from the pool.)

Check in was quick and my trip to my room was brief. The room was comfortable and stylish. The exterior entrance is normally a red flag for me, but this was very charming. There's not much to say about the room, so be sure to check out my photos.

The restaurant was expensive with slow service for dinner, but was delightful for breakfast. We also enjoyed the cafe off to the side of reception.

Overall, I would certainly stay here with my family, and off season, it is great for business trips. I'm not sure I would tolerate it if I was there for business and everyone else was having a pool party until the wee hours. Call ahead and see how busy things are before booking.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a great experience with our conference at RBI. Everything went smoothlyand accurately from the start of the sales process to the event management to the receipt of the final bill. It's a beautiful facility and the service and food were top notch.

2 Thank Russ E
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of a conference and the property is nicely maintained. The meeting facilities were very nice and the staff did a great job of making sure that things went smoothly.
In general it was a great place but very expensive for what you get. The rooms were large but very dated and in much need of updating. Other things were kept in good condition including the pool which we used regularly.
The one big disappointment was the cost of drinks in the bar. They charged us almost $50.00 for two glasses of wine and two mixed drinks. Normally we would be at the bar each night of the conference but after the sticker shock we did not go back. For the money I think you can find a better place.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Impromptu getaway for wife's birthday. Reservationist at hotel was helpful in describing room options, spa facilities, dining, etc., and was super accommodating when placing the reservation. Staff on arrival was welcoming and helpful. The common areas are fantastic classic California Spanish and even the newer upgrades of the restaurant and spa are first rate. The one slight drag was the room. While clean and large (and possibly recently redone) it could use the touch of a first rate designer (shameless plug - hire my wife!). Grounds while beautiful had a few rough patches that are in need of a bit of landscaping. Oh and the hotel is an event destination so expect to see a few weddings and hear celebrating going on into the late night hours - but that's life so get over it.

But these are minor nits. The pluses far outweigh the minuses and their real strength, like all top rate organizations, their people (at least the folks we came in contact with). Reservationist asked if we were coming in for a special occasion and I mentioned it was my wife's birthday. At check in they confirmed this and we thought nothing of it. Around 5pm an unexpected knock at the door and low and behold a bottle of bubbly and some strawberries. Well played RBI! Took the edge off the room issues. Then dinner. Book early if coming on a Saturday night as the Avant is hopping. We had 8;15 reservations but ended up dining earlier at the bar, ordered small plates and had the best time and better food - outstanding. Staff was just fantastic, gracious and accommodating.

So I never bother to write reviews but was so touched by the little things and extra effort - especially the bar staff at Avant - management has done a good job in setting the tone and expectations. Kudos!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Escondido, California
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beautiful resort. Great size room, big tub. I had the room with balcony, with fountain view. Very quiet and private. There are several pools, and hot tubs throughout the property. Between the bldg near my room, there was a small hot tub and I could enjoy all by myself. It was great. I also received the complementaly drinks. I walked around the resort and the view was specutacular.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kudoku_11
Studio City, CA
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I accompanied my husband to a conference he had to attend at Rancho Bernardo. It was a lovely reminder of how resorts may have appeared long ago. While the amenities were very modern, the decor and the peaceful quality was truly amazing. The staff were wonderful and gracious. The grounds were simply stunning. Trees lined the walkways, and beautiful fountains adorned several areas. Great golf, nice pool and well suited for the conference my husband attended. We will definitely be back for some R&R next time!