“Amazing Place!”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #32 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I were there recently for our anniversary. The grounds are amazing, the staff is exceptional. I did a day in the spa with massage and then hanging out at the kid free pool. The husband did a round of golf. He was in heaven. Everything about this place is perfect. Quiet and beautiful. We will definitely be returning. Loved it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rancho Bernardo Inn

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our trip was to visit family in the local area and we wanted to treat ourselves to a nice hotel stay.
We had asked for a quiet room. Ours was in the Veranda and overlooked the gardens. I opted for a balcony rather than the patio, which was a good choice. More privacy. The room was spacious and comfortable. Despite two weddings and another function, there was no noise to be heard.
We are not golfers but found some wonderful hiking areas (Blue Sky Preserve and Lake Poway)
It was a relaxing place to be and the grounds are pretty and spacious.
We had breakfast at the little cafe rather than the main restaurant, which suited us completely. In warm weather you can sit outside and eat and gaze at the gardens and fountains.
My only regret is that they do not have an airport shuttle.
Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Veranda side with balcony that faces the garden (middle rooms) were quiet. Only two floors but no e...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Judi S
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This resort was built in the 1960's and still has that feel of enough land to build low buildings and beautiful landscaping. The decor everywhere was charming and varied, the lobbies almost seemed under used because they were so welcoming but fairly empty. The rooms were very nice, large and we really liked our little patio that looked over many large trees.

If we had any grumble it was the food in the bar, not quite up to the standard one would expect and since the main restaurant was under construction there were no other choices. The breakfast buffet was very good. We thought the evening entertainment was very good and we liked the outdoor patio setting and fireplace.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here on business. While the hotel suited our purpose it is mainly a hotel for business and for golfers. Breakfast buffet was good and a nice assortment. I felt the room were a bit dated, and new mattress are in order.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Shortly after booking my hotel I called to set up chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to be set up I'm the room to surprise. I was assured that they would be placed in our room after check in as we were going to drop off our bags and head out with the plan of returning to the surprise. When we got back to our room later in the night the strawberries and champagne were missing, I called the front, I was told that my request was noted in my account but nobody ever called the order into room service to set up the room delivery. Beautiful hotel, grounds, restaurant, golfing, but overall an unsatisfactory experience. It's the small things sometimes.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelindaJ897
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Melinda J, I sincerely apologize for the missteps that occurred during your stay regarding the room service pre-order. It is not characteristic of the our guest service at the Inn and I will address what happened with the appropriate Department Managers.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further if needed. I can be reached at 858 605 2660 or jgates@jcresorts.com

Reviewed May 5, 2013

It's really interesting how so many people gave this place top reviews. We just got back from our trip there and what a disappointment! Here's my review: First of all, we weren't informed at booking that the place is going under construction. So the first impression is a bad one, as you have to enter the hotel through the back into what it looks a service entrance. Our bell guy was very nice and attentive, so we didn't mind this too much. The rooms clearly need renovation, and a huge no-no for us was to find hair in the bath tub. Called the front desk about it but the cleaning person didn't show up until an hour later, so we had to skip showers.
The spa pool was highly recommended by the staff because we wanted drinks at the pool and apparently there's no service at the main pool, so we went there, but here's an interesting catch: it doesn't have a hot tub in the same spot, you have to go through a couple of other gates to get to it. It was 3 of us, and another group of people (about 5) sharing the only hot tub, and we had the staff come and tell us twice we were too loud and to keep it quiet because there was a session in place (really? we are not teenagers or loud women but any means and this felt intrusive).
Next, dinner at Veranda: young, un experienced staff, spilled our waters twice, oil on our table that got on my friends dress, my salad was delivered with no dressing on it, and I had to wait another 10 minutes to get it. Food was just average, but felt that if we were going to pay upscale restaurant prices, the service had to go accordingly which it didn't.
The buffet breakfast was good (much better than dinner for sure).
Overall, I give this place 3 stars out of 5, and I highly recommend the management to pay a little more attention to detail. Just felt old and in need of love.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Silvieincali

Dear Silvieincali, it is clear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I would like to offer you my apologies and state there is no excuse for not providing you with the service and quality which has defined the Rancho Bernardo Inn for many years. We will take the necessary steps to addresss every one of your concerns. We take your feedback very seriously and use this information as an invaluable tool for measuring ourselves and our service.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your stay in further detail. I am confident we can exceed your expectations on your next visit. I can be reached directly at 858 605 2660 or jgates@jcresorts.com

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here for a stay-cation after finding a great deal on TravelZoo. We were disappointed, especially after hearing great things and won't be back and definitely don't recommend this place. I will say the property is gorgeous and ambiance is nice. But lots of little things went wrong and they just added up. We found an old buffalo chicken wing in our room when we checked. Room service wasn't that great and they didn't bring everything we asked so we had to wait even longer. Parking was a nightmare because they had so many events. The walls are thin and every time someone else in the hall closes their door, you hear it. And everything culminated when we went down to breakfast Sunday (included with out voucher) to be told that since we didn't have a reservation (who needs a reservation for breakfast? we didn't the day before), the wait was over an hour (and the patio was almost empty). We were informed that by the time we would be seated, breakfast would be over and it would Sunday brunch. We were pretty upset that we were never told at check in we should make a reservation or get there early. And like I said, it wasn't a problem on Saturday morning at all. So we checked out. I sent a complaint via email since we just wanted out of there at that point. Never got a response so I'm guessing they don't care. Well there was a survey in the room that asked guests to go to Trip Advisor. Here's your review, Rancho Bernardo Inn.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jesi J

Dear Jesi J, I am very sorry your e-mail was not replied to in a timely fashion. I want to thank you for taking the time to share some of your experience with us. Unfortunately, it appears that there were some challenges and missed steps that did not measure up to your expectations nor ours. Receiving letters such as yours is essential to helping us identify areas that need improvement, as well as rewarding the efforts of specific individuals. I have looked into the details mentioned and have taken steps to correct these issues. This does not change the fact that we did not meet your expectations and you were left with a negative impression that is not typical of the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay further, so that I may restore your faith in the Rancho Bernardo Inn. My direct number is 858 605 2660 or I can be reached at jgates@jcresorts.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#43 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!