“Site Visit for Business”

Rancho Bernardo Inn
Ranked #31 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I went to look at this hotel as a potential property for one of the conferences my company runs. After seeing 4 other properties in San Diego that day from the Downtown Gaslamp area to Carlsbad this was by far the most impressive. The grounds are beautifully kept, very green. The golf course is just lovely. It's a nice size property with a cozy, friendly feel. The staff was outstanding (even those who didn't know I was there to inspect the property) and they really made me feel that this was a very uniqie place. The spa is one of the best I've seen. The outdoor bungalows for the massages are very pretty and the Saline Spa pool is gorgeous, surrounded by lovely little cabanas. The food was delicious and fresh. The guestrooms were large, gorgeous and clean. And even though the area where the hotel is located looks secluded, there is apparently dining, wine/beer tastings and shopping just down the road.I'm hoping to return for a vacation!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Rancho Bernardo Inn

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Recently spent a long weekend at Rancho Bernardo and was so impressed by everything - decor of common areas, landscaping, room decor, Aveda products and wonderful staff. Hotel has two restaurants and a cafe. We dined in the more casual restaurant which has an indoor section,indoor bar and an outdoor setting with fire place, bar and overlooks the property. Food was reasonably priced for hotel restaurant - giving option of either off the menu or buffet. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and constantly replenished. The dinner buffet can be a great deal depending on the night. I would recommend checking out the buffet before deciding whether or not to order off the menu. Overall - wonderful place.

Room Tip: Rooms are spread out off main lobby - some can be quite the distance from the main building and sho...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Rancho Bernardo Inn is a beautiful place that feels warm and welcoming. The staff is very friendly, helpful and accomondating. The golf course was in great shape. The room had everything I needed and more. It was absolutely immaculate. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for business related event.
The place has an old charm wiith beautiful garden and nice land scaping.
After the check in, we were escorted to our room all the way at the end of one wing by the driving range. The room was kind of far from the main area and it was extremely dark. The room was fairly big and comfortable, but bedding and docor looked old and seems like it needs to be upgraded. The outdoor dinning by the golf couse was very beatutiful and food was decent. The price was resonable for a resort hotel. The cobb salad seemed popular, but I think it needed more flavor, but their hambuger was pretty good.
They have nice adult swimming pool area by the spa, but you have to pay extra to use the area or you have to do spa treatment in order to enjoy this part of the resort. It is beautiful there but it can be costly. The other swimming pool was also pretty nice and quiet with a jacuzzi tub.
The resort is nice to relax and enjoy the nature, but it certainly can use some upgrade in their guest rooms and bathrooms.
I think you'll be satisfied if you are looking for quiet getway to relax.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if you don't want to be in the dark room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family was in San Diego for a wedding the RB Inn was the perfect place to stay. Quite, beautiful grounds, friendly staff.... it was great! The Veranda proovided a prefect outdoor place over looking the golf course to have a delicious breakfast. The landscaping is unbelievable, the fountains around the property provided tranquil settings to contemplate.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jyccnwy
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Last Thursday and Friday, we stayed at the Rancho Bernardo Inn while attending a family wedding in the area, Our initial delight faded fast however. We were placed on the side where the valet parking takes all the spaces which meant we had to park in the public lot. I have bad knees and the distance was a fair bit away from the room. After we entered the room, we could not ice. The nearest ice machine was in a separate building behind us that required a long walk.
Then, we started to look around the room and the bath was so tiny that it was a one person bath at a time. The rooms were recently updated but not upgraded. The bedding was relatively new but it look rumpled, not changed recently. When i attempted to locate an outlet for my computer to do some work, it was six feet or more from the opposite end of the desk, The wi-fi connection was pathetically slow and difficult for me to get on my network. Since I could not work, I decided to watch the flat screen TV but kept getting a red raster that popped in and out and was very annoying. I called the Front Desk to get assistance but alas, nothing was ever done about it. We slept the first night comfortably but kept hearing cars doors being opened and slammed until late in the evening. In the morning, we looked forward to having our free breakfast in the Veranda but again, we were disappointed. Coffee that tasted like dishwater and very cold was replaced with warmer but no more tasty liquid. The buffet had cast iron pans with food to keep warm but it burned the bland tasteless offering. The charge for this breakfast was an amazing $36 but then removed from our folio. We decided not to eat there again. Unfortunately, the only place in the hotel that had decent food and coffee was the coffee shop serving Starbucks coffee. When I checked out, I discovered we were put on a plan that was higher than what I booked at. The new desk clerk told me the charge were for three nights but we were only there for two. Then she reversed herself when i told her we were only there for two and argued that she never inferred three. She never offered to get a manager to discuss it, so we just simply left feeling disappointment.
We will likely not go back there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the valet parking lot. Do not let them talk you into the cocktail and free breakfast...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicknAZ49
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I were in San Diego for a soccer tournament, and enjoyed relaxing at RBI before, during and after the tournament. The hotel architecture reminded us of a wedding we attended in Antigua Guatemala. The beauty of the hotel grounds and the laid back atmosphere, made for a very relaxing vacation. Everytime we turned a corner we discovered something new. Glad I discovered the quaint coffee shop. We began the trip with soccer and golf and ended our vacation poolside with every convenient accomodation. My only regret was not having any kids with us - they would have loved the pool and kids activities. Oh, and the Pina Colada's served by the pool were fantastic - thanks to the staff. Cheers!

Room Tip: Family pool area had comfortable seating and convenient outdoor bar to order food and drinks, as wel...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Downtown
The US Grant
The US Grant
#43 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Rancho Bernardo Inn? Share your experiences!