“A GREAT PLACE TO STAY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
Barcelona, Spain
“A GREAT PLACE TO STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We only stayed for two nights but had a great time in Rancho Bernardo Inn.
Highly recommended. Rooms are clean, staff is nice, restaurant is extremely good.
!! It is a bit far from San Diego but it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank judith m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Korean first
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Another couple along with myself and my husband spent last weekend at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. We arrived to find a personal invitation from the manager to attend the Friday evening cocktail reception. We had delicious hors d'oeuvres along with premium wines and spirits by the pool.

We spoke with several of the friendly staff who were catering to our need. This lovely inn is set amoung beautiful trees, lush landscape and a championship golf course. We got a terrific deal on the room rates through Skyauction.com. We were lucky as we found out that the hotel was totally sold out. All in all, it is a fabulous, warm, historic California hotel with 2011 amenities.

Room Tip: Look on Skyauction.com or Luxury Link. com
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

My wife and I came and stayed here for business meetings (not held onsite). The property seems charming enough, some might consider the 50's/60's California Ranch style "dated" but I consider it classic, but truthfully we didn't have time to explore beyond our room, main lobby, and veranda (restaurant & bar space), and we didn't play golf, use the spa or enjoy any of the property's amenities, including what appears to be a nice kid's program.

So why are we disappointed? By the weak service of waitstaff and lack of service by front desk/security/valet staff handling (or lack thereof) of our complaints over two nights. Our first night was marred by a car alarm that went off ALL NIGHT LONG, a beep-beep-beep that cycled on for a couple minutes, off for maybe 10-30 minutes, then on again. First call to front desk was they'd send security. My second call was answered by someone who had just come on and didn't know anything about it but would send security. I slept through the alarms until the one that woke me at 5:30 am but my wife had not slept. So I walked to the front desk and the gal there said she didn't know anything about it but then jumped on the radio to someone saying "what do you know about that black Honda Civic in Valet with the alarm that's been going off?" Nice.

Second night, and unbelievably, another car alarm was going off into the night, this one being one of those with six different alarm sounds. Thank God it ended sometime after midnight, maybe that's when the offender who had self-parked his pickup truck in the valet lot and left, returned. First call, they'll send security. Second call was met with hostility, "there's nothing we can do, valet doesn't have a key, we've looked in the bar and asked everyone if it's their truck. Sorry, let's just hope the owner comes back." Third was an in-person visit to the front desk who says I'm the only one complaining about it. He radios the valet who says sorry, he didn't find keys or the owner and he's off in 5 minutes so he can't help" but they'll send security, give them a little more time, and they'll call me and tell me what they're going to do. No call...

...no apologies, no offer to move us to another room, or comp us, or offer SOMETHING.

We (including coworkers) had cocktails on the veranda 3 times and 3 times waitstaff was inattentive, one time disappearing with my wife's credit card and had to be located after we waited 30 minutes.for her return.

We stayed at a corporate-discounted room rate. I guess that's why we ended up in the "Terraces", the rooms that are outward-facing, towards the parking lots, on the perimeter of the resort (and why we were not offered a relocation?). Nice rooms, well-appointed, with attractive casework for dresser, desk and 42" plasma with digital LodgeNet, and another nice piece which set the king bed at a 45-degree angle, and with integrated night lighting. If the rest of the resort has this level of appointment then you'll be fine. But rooms 801-831, with their single-pane windows, should be avoided, due to poor proximity to parking areas.

Room Tip: Don't accept "Terraces" rooms (rooms 801-831)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank vita_bene
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The Spa at the Rancho Bernardo Inn is a wonderful place to visit. The have a salt water pool, a beautiful garden, a jacuzzi and much more. While waiting for our treatments we sat at the pool and enjoyed a gourmet lunch and adult beverages, which was served to us under the Cabanas. Heidi who did our treatments was absolutely the best.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

the stay was ok, the staff was very friendly but we came across extra charges that we did not expect. the 20.00 resort fee did not include parking, and since we opted for valet, it was even more. we were supposed to get a golf "experience" with the extra add-on charge, but it was never discussed with us, and we never got details on how to redeem it.

we had a living social voucher, which we had to prompt the front desk staff to give us all that we paid for, (kind of a pain). e.g. picnic basket, resort fee waived, etc.

dinner was overpriced for cold food (we did the outdoor bbq buffet) and most of it was dried out and overcooked.

brunch was very misleading, i was quoted a different price over the phone when we pre-booked reservations. it ended up being double what i was quoted. owch. 100 dollars for breakfast..

upon coming home i realized i had forgotten an article of clothing in my room. i called... 3 times? each time leaving a message for someone to call me back. on the 3rd day i got through to the department and they were able to assist me. which was great, i appreciated that. (squeaky wheel gets the grease).

and now, a few days after i get home I noticed 2 different charges from the hotel on my credit card, both over 100.00 that i have been trying to rectify with their almost useless operators, and the subsequent voicemail i keep getting from their billing department. this is the 3rd day i have been trying to reach S. Petersen, but she never seems to be at her desk, or she doesn't feel the need to return voicemail messages.

what was supposed to be a nice staycation has turned into one headache after another. very disappointing and i'm upset that they even have my credit card information at this point, who knows what they're charging.. :/

Room Tip: get a secluded area, the walls are paper thin
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelchickie25
RBINN, General Manager at Rancho Bernardo Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Good afternoon - I have read your review and and apologize that your stay was an unpleasant one and you feel we lack the proper follow through and communication for your lost item and your room bill. It appears that we dropped the ball in providing the excellent customer service we are known for. Please contact me at 858-605-2663 or at my e-mail address Mcarew@jcresorts.com, so that I can discuss your stay with you.

Thank you.
Maureen Carew
Assistant General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I didn't see the Rancho Bernardo inn before I reserved my stay. And did I ever get a pleasant surprise. My wife and I literally felt like royalty our entire stay. There is no reason for you to leave during your entire stay. To be honest I'm not sure you will want to.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

VERY GOOD STAFF , HAD GROUP FUNCTION, FOOD seemed to be .one notch down each night. but it still was not bad .the place is solid.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business