“Great Menu Tasty Dishes”
Review of Cafe 21

Cafe 21
Ranked #275 of 4,853 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Idaho
Description: Cafe21 is a full service eatery - try our always savory, homemade dishes created with fresh, organic produce from local farms. Or cool down after a long day with our farm-to-bar, refreshing infused drinks made with organic vodka. We provide our home made bread sandwiches, fresh organic salads, hearty breakfasts, and wide selection of organic coffees, teas, and much more. Our heart and soul is invested into creating the most satisfying dishes from the finest ingredients straight from the earth. Stop by and taste what Mother Nature is stirring in our kitchen.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a wonderful summer evening dinner here with friends. We totally enjoyed the front patio table under the grape vines! Best table for a summer night. We had unique appetizers, Cauliflower au gratin and Eggplant Fries. Both were excellent. For entrées we had the Beef Short ribs, Scallops and Spaghetti Squash Shrimp. Every dish was wonderful, tasty and fresh. The service was friendly, Tiffany, our waitress was full of personality and smiles. Overall Cafe 21 is a great little restaurant, we will be back.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband had the San Diego Sunrise and I had the pomegranate Bellini. Both were very nicely balanced. We enjoyed them while we waited for his sautéed pear salad with a chicken skewer and my sautéed scallops on potato and leek purée with aioli sauce. Even without an appetizer or dessert, this was an ample dinner. We both had coffee. My cup of decaf was the best coffee I've had in awhile. The atmosphere is very casual. We sat outside and enjoyed watching a couple of well behaved pets that were at a nearby table. Service was good. We'll go again.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

It was such a welcome relief to discover Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp District of San Diego. After 2 weeks travelling in the US where buffet breakfasts reign supreme it was so refreshing to discover that serves drinkable coffee (as reviewed by an Aussie as opposed to an Americano coffee) & really delicious, well presented, a-la-carte menu with healthy options. Ironically enough, after finding somewhere with healthy options I went for the Strawberry & Rhubarb Stuffed Toast because it sounded so delicious & it's something I don't think I've eaten in about 10 years. Well worth the calories! Go to the zoo afterwards & burn them off wandering around. Sure the portions are still massive but it was so delicious I didn't care & ate it all. I spent 3 days in San Diego & went back for lunch one day I enjoyed it so much.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I often choose farm to table restaurants which is one of the reasons I picked Cafe 21 for a company dinner. There was a nice selection of entrees, with some unique flavor combinations. We ordered a couple of the flatbreads as appetizers that were excellent. They also had some specialty cocktails that were great. Our server was quite attentive and I believe our whole group enjoyed the dinner.

The only negative was that the A/C was apparently not working and our table was near the back where we didn't get air from the outside. The server did bring over a small fan for us which was greatly appreciated.

Overall, the dining experience was positive and I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great staff and the food preparation is superb. Tapas style, small and intimate, super friendly staff make this a great find. Even though I am a local, do not regularly frequent the area.