“Flunks on cleanliness, great on everything else.”

Holiday Inn San Diego North Miramar
Ranked #154 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Our hotel room and bathroom were among the filthiest I've ever experienced. There were crumbs and a chocolate stain on our sheets, revealing they hadn't changed the sheets after the previous occupant! Yuck. Given that we didn't discover this until late at night after we were all settled in, we asked for new sheets and pillow cases, and made the bed ourselves. In addition, the bathroom floor had dirt caked on it and was in serious need of mopping.

Normally, I would never even consider staying in such a place again, however, this hotel excelled in many other areas, listed below. Thus I would pull up again and examine a room prior to checking in. I'm hoping the filthy room was the aberration of one neglectful housekeeper and not refective of the hotel.

Here's what we liked:
* Very reasonable cost for a major metropolitan area: $119 special price, which included free parking.
* Very helpful, friendly staff.
* New, very comfortable pillowtop bed.
* Very quiet room, even though the hotel is right off the freeway.
* Refrigerator (next size up from the smallest) and microwave in every room.
* Thermostat where you can set the temperature, as opposed to just cool or warm.
* Shower temperature easy to regulate + massaging showerhead.
* Nice, unclutter layout where my partner had room to practice his tai chi.
* Elliptical trainer in fitness room.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 1, 2007

hotel stay was mar,24-27 2007 let us check in early.here for nascar race in fontana,,.suite was nice for the days that we were here but the fridge was not as cold as it should be. called downstairs and was told that i could bring my drinks downstairs [pop,water,juice] and put in their fridge.i declined and said thank you for the offer.came back from the race late on sunday 10pm,and the front door was not completely shut [locked].i went downstairs and told them and they said they would send security with me and check the room out.my wife and myself checked it out before i went down to the front desk.they said that they were very sorry and it would not happen again,she said she would notify housekeeping of what had happened.she called my room about an hour later and said how sorry she was about what had happened. i thought that that was very awesome of her too call back at a later time a say she was sorry for what had happened.i told her that i will be back in sept. and said thank you. thumbs up too her

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank adultrunaways
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I checked in on Sept. 29, 2006. The room was sparten, the refriderator did not work, and the tv was old with a poor quality picture. If that wasn't bad enough, while trying to open the Heat/AC vent in the bathroom, the grill pulled out of the wall and the inside of the ventalation shaft was completely covered with Black Mold!, some of which fell onto the floor(I have pictures). Almost an inch thick! Needless to say my wife and I got out of there rather quickly. I have contacted their corporate customer care via e-mail(the Only way to contact them) and have still not heard back from them(10/4/06)

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bickyd
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My husband, myself, and 13 y.o. daughter stayed here over a busy weekend in July '06. The hotel was filled to capacity (as were just about every other hotel in the area) because of several large athletic competitions that were going on that weekend. The hotel really took advantage of this fact and jacked the price up to $209/ night (not the "average" price of $139 listed on this site). Although I had made the reservation just the night before, they managed to get it wrong - and sent us to a room with only one bed - not the two we had been promised. However, the young woman at the desk (Russian, I believe) was very helpful & apologetic, and even offered to take $50 off the bill for our trouble...and quickly gave us a different room.
The room itself was all right, as was the bathroom - what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn - not super fancy, but clean and adequate. However, the overall feel of the hotel and breakfast room is a bit dated. Also, the location is kind of drab - wih a view of the parking lot & freeway. The pool area was small and not very attractive, and so crowded that night with screaming kids, that our idea of sitting there peacefully was immediately vetoed. The included breakfat wasn't too bad - my husband liked the oatmeal - but again, the room felt small & a bit shabby.
The most distressing aspect of our stay was the steady stream of ants crawling over the desk in our room. We didn't complain because at that point I knew there were no other rooms available - but I mentioned it in the comment card I left at the desk when we checked out - but never heard from anyone (card is probably sitting in the trash somewhere!)
In short, an okay place - but nothing special - and definitely overpriced at $209 (for $139 I would say it would be acceptable).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nankie
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, Ca
Reviewed May 17, 2006

My husband and I often visit San Diego and took a chance by staying at this hotel which is farther away from the tourist trap in San Diego....but we will not make that mistake again. In my opnion, this hotel is perfect for the business traveler but not if you have a family or plan to experience San Diego. It is located far from attractions, restaurants, and shopping. The Holiday Inn located on Hotel Circle is a much better choice.

As for quality, if you like Holiday Inn, you will like this hotel. But be warned that there are no good views, its located off of the busy freeway and worse, right in line with the flight path of the nearby small airport. Not very peaceful!

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2006

From the shuttle drivers (who will take you anywhere within 5 miles for free) to the front desk to the breakfast buffet staff, there couldn't have been a more friendly and welcoming atmosphere. I appreciated the elaborate as possible continental breakfast with the hostess so happy to accomodate. The pool and hot tub were great. My room was clean and well equipped and the bathroom was very large. Internet access down in the lobby is free. The Chinese restaurant attached was delicious. An all around great choice for the area. They understand the concept of customer service.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Lizinindy
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I traveled to San Diego with three kids, one spouse and my parents. We stayed in a suite for $119 a night. I am a cheap traveler so it sounded too good to be true, and I was very pleased to find out that it was all true. It was an excellent hotel, very clean, nice staff and a good continental breakfast. The bathroom was the best part of all with the curved shower curtain and an awesome shower head. It was too cold for swimming but we spent a little time in the hot tub, which was lukewarm, but the sauna made up for it.

• Stayed: March 2006