“Steak House Boite in Mission Hills”
Review of The Wellington - CLOSED

The Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Falcon
Description: Step into the eternal darkness that is the mysterious Wellington and you may wonder if that grand mahogany door is really a portal to another time and place. The look suggests 2 a.m. at a private club of the 1920s where high rollers and powerful politicians rendezvoused and luxurious vices were celebrated. A flock of assorted chandeliers flies at various heights from the peaked ceiling and behind the five seat bar, glass shelves filled with fine liquors gleam in front of sparkling mirrors. The Wellington's epicurean joys are rooted in executive chef Brian Johnston's respectful, savvy reworkings of classic dishes. Perfectly charred steaks and crispy duck confit are the kinds of dishes that grace the menu. The house specialty, beef Wellington, perfectly cooked medium filet mignon, Cremini mushroom duxelle with flakey, golden brown puff pasry. The Wellington offers a martini list awash in creativity and perfect wine pairings with over 40 choices, both domestic and international.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Wellington is an intimate and dark restaurant off busy Washington St. in Mission Hills. There is a small bar and a few tables and all is decorated in black. You can feel you are in a film noir from the 1940s. The menu is very brief with a few meat and seafood selections and appetizers. Service is friendly and professional. We dined on a three course special menu ($40) which they serve on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and is a good deal. The starter salad was mesclun greens with some fruit and little dressing. Really not much to it. The main course of the Beef Wellington was nothing short of perfection and cooked to a tenderness within the puff pastry. Even Gordon Ramsay would be pleased. This was accompanied by sauteed squash which was a bit under cooked. A Chatman guitar played soothing music while dining adding to the ambiance of the moment. Cocktails are also nicely made. I have eaten here on several occasions and will continue to return.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband came here for the first time and we were pleasantly surprised. This place is VERY small (10 tables) but the dark atmosphere and smooth music made it intimate. I got a glass of wine and my husband got a purity cucumber followed by a prom night, their signature drinks. I got the cesar salad to start and my husband got the wellington salad, both very tasty. My entree was their signature beef wellington, the first i ever had, and my husband got the basic filet mignon. To end our night out we got the banana cream pie and peach cobbler. Our waiter was Vasilios and he was excellent! i hope when we return we get him as our server!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I really like this place, and LOVE it when it is a good night. Small (very small) with great Wellingtons. The biggest problem is the service. I have turned several friends on to this place... and they have all had the same experience. The staff is really hit or miss, and food can be too. I have never had a rude waiter, but sometimes just VERY VERY green for the price they are charging. Most of the time, it has been great. I hope they can figure out how to maintain their best employees and weed out the less desirables.

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Four of us visited here mid week. We are from uk but travel lots. This restaurant is a little bit random. We walked in and apart from an older guy with a much younger woman (odd) in the far corner we were the only people in there. Oh and the guy playing random tunes on his guitar. Usually any one with a musical instrument in a culinary situation is rather grinding but in all fairness he probably was responsible for breaking what would have been a deathly silence.

The service was fine but the guy only had us to take care of anyway. But nevertheless the service was faultless.

We had no starters and no deserts. We literally had a main course each (x4) and a bottle of wine. Two of our party had 4 screwdrivers. The bill came to $300 with a tip.

So in general the food was good but expensive. The atmosphere was pretty non existent. The restaurant is dark.

Taking in to consideration we eat in places all over the world that have candles, history and a cause for conservation this place is a little sole less. Basically 8 out of 10 for effort. 7 out of 10 for food. 3 out of 10 for venue. 9 out of 10 for service and seriously 3 out if 10 for value.

Can't imagine the locals eating here on a regular basis.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

On a recent trip to San Diego accidentally found this wonderful restaurant. The Wellington lives up to it's name and then some. A small, intimate restaurant that serves the best Wellington I've had since a trip to London. The individual wellington was served in a rustic crust and was perfectly done - the mushroom topping was delicious. Great service and ambiance - worth a visit.