“Wonderful local fish”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 3, 2013

LOVED that they had local fish to choose from and the menu was so well laid out. You chose your fish and then how you wanted to eat it - the treatments were fried (fish & chips), as a taco, grilled alone & ______ (sorry can't remember). I had sea bass as a taco - fantastic! My husband yellow fin tuna as fish and chips. Both excellent. The fries with curry ketchup were nice. Waitress was a little hairried but the manager was very good and seemed to try to help her. It wasn't super busy and even on a Saturday night of Labor Day weekend, we were able to walk right in and get a table. Nice wine list. Limited beer selection.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Family of 5. Good portions and very delicious. Very limited sidewalk seating. Bill was $130.
Great staff.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Was wandering around Gaslamp, felt a little hungry, and my girlfriend suggested fish tacos. Escape actually offers Tacones, with a fantastic selection of fish. We opted for the swordfish, which was spectacular. The margaritas were great on a summer afternoon, and the staff was incredible. Just a small joint, but it fits the bill. Zach, our server was up-beat, relaxed and really made us feel welcome. I highly recommend Escape to anyone in the mood for seafood.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We had the salmon and swordfish tacones and both were really good. Service was also great. Great 1st impression of San Diego cuisine.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

In the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, an unexpected find in many ways. Creative flavors on their menu served with a little humor too. My hubby ordered crab cakes and Fanny Bay Oysters (from Vancouver) to share. Crab cakes were slightly breaded and good. Oysters were perfect and I am not an oyster girl!

For dinner I ordered the Sea Bass Tacones (without the flour tortillas). Tacones are their version of fish tacos. I know, it wasn’t a taco without the tortilla but I wanted all the creative flavors offered with that dish with grilled fish. Hubby ordered the salad with Jumbo Shrimp and Spicy Caesar Salad dressing. By the way you can have any fish on the menu four different ways. Thought that was a great way to have your customers get exactly what they wanted.

The salad was definitely meal worthy. The Spicy Caesar Salad dressing was more like a spicy Thousand Island but was really really good. My plate arrived and looked fabulous. However when I tried to cut it, the Sea Bass was tough. My first bite was not so good. I actually kept chewing thinking it would get better. Not! I had my husband smell another piece and he agreed it was not good. I just couldn’t swallow it so I spit it out in my napkin and we called the waitress over. I had her smell it and she immediately agreed and was concerned because she knew they got fish delivered everyday.

Within minutes, (maybe 2 max), Scott the owner showed up at our table and apologized since they got fresh fish today. My husband asked if he had smelled my fish. He said no. Which really he should have done before he came to the table. However he did offer to make something else. I said I was a little leery. He offered to bring fish out for me to smell and choose from. That was definitely a first. I decided to come to the kitchen instead. Scott was so kind and brought out the fish boxes with delivery dates and let me smell as many as I wanted, including the Sea Bass. Which actually did smell ok. Don’t know exactly how my filet was bad but that is something he will have to address with his fishmonger. Because there was no question it was bad. While owner Scott brought out boxes, Chef Scott talked to me. While the 3 boxes I smelled were fresh, I decided on the Halibut.

What was funny was that the table next to us was watching the whole thing go down. So when I came back to the table from the kitchen, they asked me which fish I had chosen! Because they saw me smell all the fish, they decided to choose the Halibut too. Too funny. By the way, theirs was great.

I got my dinner right away and it was AWESOME. Really. Every element was so good. Looking back, I can say that from the moment the water was brought to the table with a slice of fresh cucumber every element took thought and planning. Obviously owner Scott and Chef Scott have taken the time to create a great casual fresh and creative dining experience.

If I lived in San Diego I would definitely go again.