“I don't get the hype.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had lunch here. Ordered the chowder and then a lunch special. I had a hard time eating the chowder. It lacked seafood and only had a large piece of fried greasy battered fish on the top. The chowder had no seafood and was so sour I couldn't it all. Then, salmon tacones, rice, marinated carrots and marinated cukes. Everything pretty much had the same flavor profile. I arrived at 1130 am and there were 6 specials on the board on the sidewalk. They were just bait to lure you in since only 2 items were really available when it came time to order. The service was very good and attentive. Probably would not eat here again given then many choices in town and the avg food

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went early and got the last table inside which gave some respite from the hustle and bustle of the Gaslamp Quarter. We chose fish tacos and fish with fries and shared the two meals. At the time we hadn't read the previous reviewer's comment about the size of one portion of fries but were glad we shared as one portion was plenty for two. The fries were probably the best we had on our trip to the USA. The fish was also excellent. Service was good. The restaurant doesn't serve dessert although we overheard a waitress suggesting somewhere that does to other customers. After a meal that was more than adequate we just saw it as being saved from ourselves!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had made reservations and was glad I did because the restaurant is small. We sat outside in front of the restaurant so we could watch the people walking by in the gaslamp quarter. Happy hour is from 11:00am to 6:00pm. We were impressed that the owner Scott Quan came out to greet us personally. The $25 halibut fish plate with butter lemon dill and the pickled cucumbers and carrots were delicious. My husband enjoyed the $20 yellowtail tacones, and the green beans were cooked to perfection. We felt they were a little overpriced but we loved every dish and we definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place is right in the gas lamp district. It is a hole in the wall. The food is quite tasty. But, I think they would pack'em in at all hours in the food was about $5 less for each entree. I had the fish tacos. The fish was very fresh and tasty. The fish and chips were excellent. The fried calamari was a little undercooked but still good.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were pleased with the Escape and it lived up to the reviews we had read. The service was friendly and attentive. The choice of varieties of fish was sufficient and the quality was very good. The only issue I had was the massive amount of French fries served...this was huge and two in our party had lots left. One idea is for half the members of your party order fish with fries and the other to order salad and then share the more than sufficient order of fries!