“A hidden gem”

Ranked #5 of 445 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Although this park is located within San Diego's city limits, it remains one of the wildest landscapes along the Southern California coast, with miles of unspoiled beaches, chaparral, elegant Torrey Pine trees and a lagoon vital to many species of migrating birds.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This state park is not well sign posted and is hard to find but is worth visiting. One of the volunteers at the excellent Visitor Centre told us she had lived in San Diego for two years before discovering this place. You can see and learn about the rare Torrey Pines trees and take great walks. The trails are well sign posted with great views and you can often see the Grey Whales during their annual migration south in December - March. You will also see a lot of helicopters and planes from the marine base nearby including fighter jets, Osprey helicopters and Galaxies.

1  Thank Annerly777

Reviewed January 11, 2014

All I can say is that I highly recommend this area for anyone that loves good views! The hike was awesome, and we even got to see some dolphins or whales (we still don't know what they were) out swimming. The Pacific is beautiful from the top of the cliffs.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Mostly desert environment with a drop cliff to the beach and ocean. A different kind of hiking that I'm used to in New York. Gorgeous views of the ocean.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This nature reserve is definitely a place you'd want to spend a lot of time at. Make sure you wear comfy shoes and bring a water bottle! The trails twist all over the reserve and bring you to amazing places that beg to be photographed. We didn't even make it to the beach section of the reserve, but the cliffs and desert fauna were incredible and worth checking out. I had no problem paying 10 dollars for a day pass, it was a highlight of our trip.

1  Thank Alex J
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I love nature and scenery and would far rather hike then shop so this was a great destination for me. I did the hike with a new friend and we had plenty to talk about during the four hours at the park. I am a pretty good hiker, but novices should be aware there are a lot of up and downs. We parked on the street near the park so that probably added on 2 miles that you could shave by paying for parking. We were there on a friday and while there were other people, I never felt it was too crowded. Be aware no dogs and food are allowed, so by the end of the day we were ready to go treat ourselves to a nice meal.

1  Thank filmdreamer