“Charming, friendly bistro”

BO beau kitchen + bar
Ranked #343 of 4,989 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A casual, neighborhood bistro in the heart of bohemian (BO) Ocean Beach. The beautiful(Beau) design transports you to a cottage in a small village in the south of France.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Unique little find. Great energy and very friendly waitstaff,bartenders and manager. No reservations so go early or late if on a weekend. Our wait wasn't as long as expected. Love the menu and our dinners were great. Had the night's special which was a filet and scallops with lobster Mac and cheese. And because I didn't want the steak, the waiter suggested to do scallops only. Generous servings and bold flavors.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We had an awesome dinner at Bo Beau!
Started with the yummy Brussels sprouts I had heard so much about - didn't disappoint! Crispy, salty and yummy goodness.
Steak frites, Beef Bourgione, and Salmon were great! Perfectly prepared food with great presentation.
Staff was very friendly and attentive.
Very wam and inviting atmosphere.
Highly recommended!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

When I think of a neighborhood restaurant with a bit of class and big flavors I think of this place. After reading a review on trip advisor we went to this place. We had the Brussels sprouts, mussels, and a pizza. All amazing especially the Brussels sprouts. This place is why I love SD so much. Small neighborhoods with great restaurants. This place is rather unassuming from the outside but when you walk in there is so much charm and character. I ordered a beer at the bar as we waited for a table. They serve a selection of great local beers. SD has numerous breweries and I've noticed that the restaurants like to focus on serving the beers from the area. All around I would highly recommend this place

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had heard that the wait can be a long one at BO Beau since they don't take reservations. Well, we went for dinner right after the Super Bowl and we were seated immediately. Thank God for the Super Bowl! I loved the warm welcoming ambience, the dim lighting, and the beautiful décor.

Our waitress, who was very friendly, got our drinks while the 6 of us decided what to order. Having read rave reviews about the brussel sprouts here, we ordered both kinds: brussel sprouts with dried cranberries, goat cheese, toasted hazelnuts & apple cider, as well as brussel sprouts with pancetta, parmesan, balsamic. I have tried brussel sprouts for years - cooked a variety of ways - and have never liked them. This time though, I absolutely LOVED them. I would say these are a must-order item for everyone who eats here. They were incredible.

I'll admit I really struggled reading the menu. I'm not an expert on French cuisine by any means, and I'm thankful the selection wasn't overwhelming. I ordered something I didn't have to point to on the menu for fear of mispronouncing it to the waitress: Braised Short Rib Flat Bread with Horseradish Smashed Potatoes and Chives. It was SO GOOD. The meat was perfectly cooked, and although we all shared our various flat breads, I did so begrudgingly. We also sampled the chorizo, and goat cheese flat breads. I liked the short rib one the best.

We stayed and visited for a couple hours, and ended up being the last customers there. In fact, as we left, we had the feeling they were closing for the night, but no one ever made us feel rushed. The staff was incredibly friendly.

The next time I'm in San Diego, I'm bringing my kids to try the brussel sprouts. Maybe then, they'll finally like them, too.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This restaurant had been recommended by friends who couldn't say enough about the authentic French bistro that they had discovered. On the night that we visited, however, the entire experience was less than enjoyable. Since reservations are not accepted, we had to wait quite a while for a table. The bar was filled so the only available spot was standing in the reception area that was constantly filled with entering patrons and the waitstaff that had to pass through to reach tables on the other side. Once seated, the din was deafening. The server had to actually yell to be heard above the noise. Lights from passing cars routinely filled the small dining area with flashes of bright and disorienting light. The food arrived after what seemed like a long wait. Portions were generous, however the quality was just OK. Perhaps we expected too much from what is part of a large local chain of mass market restaurants. There are better French bistros in San Diego. Bo beau has the potential to join them, but needs to work on the basics before it can compete.