“Great price and food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mint Downtown Thai

Mint Downtown Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Mint Downtown Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #635 of 4,545 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: G St.
Potsdam, New York
“Great price and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We saw previous reviews on Tripadvisor about this restaurant, so my wife and I thought we would try it. We learned that there are half-priced appetizers during happy hour, and since Thai food is sadly lacking in our cuisine dictionary we thought we would try it.

House chardonay was unoaked like we like it, so that was a good start. We ordered Calamari with their signature sweet but with a hint of spicy sauce. The rings were crisp with Panko crumbs, not over done which is easy to do, and delicious. We then ordered the Satay. We decided on tofu instead of chicken because we wanted to deviate from the familiar. Boy, am I glad that we did! Tofu was brown and crisp ... just right! The peanut sauce was super, and added a great taste to our selection. Finally we ordered another glass of wine to accompany our next dish which was the fresh (not fried) spring rolls. Well, talk about a winner! If you decide to go to this restaurant you have to order this dish. The fresh veggies were wrapped with the thin noodle and the dish was plentiful! The sauce was hard to describe but had hints of peanuts, ginger and soy ... well, you just have to try it.

I would have given this place an excellent rating, but I am not that well versed in Thai food, so it will be up to you to decide. I wish we were in town longer to try out dinner, but alas, we will just have to wait. I don't think you can go wrong if you do the happy hour. As they say ... try it ... you'll like it!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

• Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very nice Thai food - very authentic.
We had soups, dumplings, a massaman curry and orange chicken. All very good, full of flavour.
The service was impeccable. Prices were very reasonable.
Great!!
If I lived in San Diego, this would be my new favourite Thai!

• Visited April 2013
Italy
“Excellent Thai Food in Gaslamp District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had dinner with a friend at Mint Downtown. We shared the chicken dumpling appetizer, which was served hot and fresh with dipping sauce. We also shared two entrees - green curry chicken and panang beef. Both came with a choice of rice and we went with the whole grain, which was very good. The curries were fantastic and the portions were appropriate for the price. All were spiced to our request and extra spice was brought to the table if we needed it. (We didn't)

I had a Thai iced tea with boba in it, the boba being a new twist for me. They were little gummy balls in the drink. It was very good as well. We wrapped it up with the mango banana fried dessert served on homemade coconut ice cream.

All of it was very good and I would highly recommend this place.

The whole meal with a glass of wine and tax was about $50 total.

• Visited February 2013
Sedona, Arizona
“Refreshing and nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were trying to agree on a place for lunch, and we had found Mint to be just the thing we were looking for. We've ordered Pad Thai in several places, in several states, but never have had one quite as good as this. Everything was fresh, and had that actual mint flare on the dishes. The mini spring roll on the side was so good, I almost wanted a whole order! The lettuce wraps are also fresh, and have a refreshing flavor because of the mint. Service was good overall. The only thing I did not like was that the door is "open air", and being December, there was a bit of drafty chill once in a while. I would definately recommend and return.

• Visited December 2012
Lake Forest, Illinois
“Great for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I needed to find a lunch place open at 11 AM due to a conference schedule, and ended up here as a number of places open at 11:30. I found the service friendly and of an average speed. The pad thai with shrimp was solid and freshly prepared. The soup was excellent. The lunch also came with a small spring roll and a small salad. The Thai Iced Coffee was not too sweet, which was nice. The best part was the price: only $8, which makes this the cheapest lunch in San Diego I have had so far (I'm sure there are cheaper places but for a sit down place the $8 is good). The food came out fast and was a good lunch portion size--not too much for a change. I'm not sure how this place would be for dinner, and I have had better Thai, but I found it very adequate for my needs and would recommend it for lunch. The booths were very comfortable.

• Visited August 2012