“A fun way to experience La Jolla dining venues”
Review of Bite San Diego

Bite San Diego
Ranked #10 of 106 Food & Drink in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're Bite San Diego, America's Finest City's food tour company. Join us on our adventures inside the restaurants that have impacted San Diego's culinary scene. We will lead you on an exploration of the history, roots and reasons San Diego is becoming a food mecca for locals and world travelers alike.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I recently did this tour in La Jolla. Our tour guide David was accommodating, friendly and knowledgable. We were running late as our flight had just arrived but we had David's phone number and he assured us he'd keep us informed if the group moved to the next location before we arrived. We had a somewhat uncomfortable experience at our first restaurant stop. The restaurant prepared only several small plates of food that were to be shared by the group rather than having individual samples of food available. There were some folks on the group who complained about how little food there was to share among us and my husband and I weren't sure if they planned to leave any food for us. David did a great job of explaining how the tour was intended to work that it was a "bite" not a meal. These complainers were probably the worst part of the tour- who goes on vacation and then whines that there isn't enough food and booze? They also complained about our tour guide sharing info about the area, its history and landmarks. We did our best to stay away from them the rest of the tour!

We got to visit an olive oil and wine shop, New York style deli, creperie, and Hawaiian BBQ restaurant. Unfortunately one of the restaurants on our tour was not currently open for business- the tour promises at least 5 stops. I would have appreciated being informed of this in advance, for the tour to find another venue or to be refunded the difference for the restaurant we weren't able to go to. To make up for this, the company did offer a free tour of any of the other neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the tours are only offered on the weekends and our tour was on a Saturday afternoon so most members of our group would not have been able to take advantage of this offer.

Overall, I thought this was a fun way to try out some different restaurants and I enjoyed getting to learn more about the area- David was knowledgable and gave us info on some of the history of the area as well as noteworthy landmarks.

All reviews
"liberty station"
in 16 reviews
"an excellent guide"
in 10 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This one was great! I recently took visiting family on the Old Town tour and couldn't believe how much better the Gaslamp Little Italy tour was. No comparison! Food was great and the choices of places to stop was perfect us who are native San Diegans as well as my out of town guests. The tour guide Philip was more then accommodating, personable and very knowledgeable. This was a perfect activity for all of us! Loved it.....

By the way.... Can't remember the name of Old Town tour guide but he did a great job even though the tour plan was not good.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Took a great tour of eateries in Coronado with Bite San Diego this past weekend with my best friend. Had a great experience at the restaurants we visited. However, I would have liked to have a little bit more of a variety regarding the food. We had two back to back stops with ice cream. Also, it would have been nice for the restaurants that we did visit to have some vegetarian options for the non-meat foodies. Other than that, the tour was great with a fun and knowledgeable tour guide and interesting group of people. Nice experience in a gorgeous location!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I recently took the guided food tour through Downtown/Little Italy with Eddie and let me just say that was a BLAST! I wasn't sure what to expect as I have never been on a "food tour" before but I quickly realized I was in for a treat as we embarked on the culinary adventure. My favorite stop was probably the Berkeley pizza joint. They have a great NY/Chicago style pizza with tons of topping choices all with fresh ingredients and enormous flavor. Their wide selection of beers on tap pays great tribute to the growing San Diego beer culture. I also really enjoyed their latest addition to the tour, Spike Africa. They serve fresh seafood and even have a gluten-free menu for those who are looking for a healthier taste of the sea. Aside from the delicious food we tried Eddie was one heck of a tour guide providing us with great historical information and facts about the area. If you get a chance to try one of these tours I would highly recommend trying this one. You WON'T be disappointed!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This past weekend I went on Bite San Diego's Food tour in Coronado, and I have to say I was completely blown away. The food was delicious and our guide Noel was completely personable. He really knew a lot about the history of San Diego and seemed excited to be there with us. Along the way, we stopped at a plethora of restaurants and indulged in small portions of different foods. But by the end of the day I was definitely full. My personal favorite was the shrimp from Peohe's dipped in a plum sauce. Yum! The weather was absolutely beautiful and made walking around the island very fun! It was a great experience that I will be sharing with everyone. I fully intend to go on another tour with Bite in the near future.

1  Thank Tiffany V