“Downtown/Little Italy”

Bite San Diego
Ranked #5 of 105 Food & Drink in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're Bite San Diego, America's Finest City's food tour company. Join us on our adventures inside the restaurants that have impacted San Diego's culinary scene. We will lead you on an exploration of the history, roots and reasons San Diego is becoming a food mecca for locals and world travelers alike.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was my fourth Bite San Diego tour and won't be my last. However, I was somewhat disappointed in this one. Royal India and venissimo cheese were great. I felt we spent way too much time at Berkeley pizza (pizza was just OK). I would have preferred to skip Berkeley pizza and visit another place in Little Italy. As it was we only stopped at one place there, Caffe Italia, (which had a yummy dessert pizza). There were so many other places in Little Italy to pick from for better pizza. Eddie is a fantastic tour guide, so knowledgeable about the area. Had him on the Old Town tour also. Learned so much from him.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Dani our tour guide lead us through Hillcrest on an awesome tour of 6 restaurants. They were all great, and we enjoyed hearing from the owners of several of them. The portions at the first restaurant were huge, they don't stay that way. In the remainder of the restuarants you'll get a sample, much closer to 4 bites or so. The day was just great - with perfect weather. The walk was just enough to make us hungry for the next sample. Dani filled us in on the history of Hillcrest. Be sure to go - you'll love it! Have fun!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

WE had Eddie on this tour and he did a great job! We loved all the different restaraunts and definitely will return to some of them! We had plenty of time in each spot to get a drink, eat, and check out the places. The historical commentary was fascinating as well!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I recently took the La Jolla Bite Tour. The day was beautiful and the walk was very nice. I was worried it would be too much walking, but the different stops were spaced well and we got plenty of rest time while we sampled treats. We got some interesting historical info about the area as well. My husband and I had time to talk while we walked, making it a little romantic. We also met new people and got to talk a little with them at each stop.

I have some food allergies and was concerned about trying food at new places (without having control of the ordering), but in talking with a Bite Rep they were able to find several tours that had stops that met my needs. Our guide Samantha was even kind enough to remind the stops of my allergies to "make sure" I didn't get sick. Very nice. I was pleased to see that many of the stops offered gluten free, vegan, and/or dairy free options. It made these stops relevant to me and places I would realistically return to. All the food was excellent! I even tried a few things I usually would never order (the Bits N Pieces from Karl Strauss) and liked them a lot.

They give you a map and listing of the stops, but I preferred using my phone app Evernote Food. I was able to pull up each stop, mark it, take pictures of the food, and make comments on what I liked, etc. You can even share the info with others.

1  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This tour may not have boasted the highest variety in cuisine, but it definitely was a lot of fun! Tons of time to sit and enjoy margaritas at almost all of the stops, some historical tidbits I was happy to learn even though I am a SD native, and excellent tour guide in Lee!

I wish the last stop at Bistro 25 Forty wasn't so disappointing...no one came out and gave us any info about their restaurant and they served us a piece of stale focaccia. It was obvious they were more concerned with prepping for dinner service in a few hours!