“Bite Coronado was very disappointing, sadly.”
Review of Bite San Diego

La Jolla Food Walking Tour
Ranked #2 of 93 Food & Drink in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're Bite San Diego, America's Finest City's food tour company. Join us on our adventures inside the restaurants that have impacted San Diego's culinary scene. We will lead you on an exploration of the history, roots and reasons San Diego is becoming a food mecca for locals and world travelers alike.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bite Coronado was very disappointing, sadly.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

This review is specific for Bite Coronado and not the other tours because I haven't had the opportunity to take any of their other tours. My review is meant to be seen as constructive criticism because I think this is a great concept and would love to see the tour improve. Our tour guide was very nice and knew a lot of Coronado history. He was very engaging and fu n to talk to in small settings.

I think the scheduling and flow of the tour needed much improvement. It took us 3 hours but it could have happened in 2 or less.

* The pace of the tour was hurry up and wait.

We rushed into the first stop Peohe and received no explanation and choked down a delicious morsel of coconut shrimp and then were forced to run out if the restaurant. We then power walked to firehouse bar and then sat in the back with no explanation of why we were there. Then we sat there for a half hour. The food was great (pulled pork bun) and our guide enjoyed a beer with another table and didn't engage with everything else. After 30 minutes we left and then he told us very briefly about the history. Couldn't he have shared this info in the bar? Why did we stay there that long?

* Explanations were not about food

The guide explained very well the history of the island but we didn't hear about why we were in the restaurant, why the restaurant was special or why we are sampling the food we did.

* there wasn't enough food

One bite of shrimp, little cups of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, one pulled pork slider, one inch slice of pizza, one garlic ball and a quarter fudge ...

* the food chosen was too common

The food is very common (listed above) and not special to Coronado island.

* some stops were superfluous

We didn't hear any explanation of why we were in Fuzziwinks candy store.

* we didn't visit the hotel del Coronado.

This hotel is why people visit the island. I think think the food tour should stop here and not post misleading photos of the hotel on their website (even though they didn't list this as one of their stops). Other people on the tour were also disappointed.

4 Thank jmelyan

San Diego, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“What fun!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had an excellent time on this tour. We took the Downtown/Little Italy tour on a Friday. Our guide, Beck, was very informative. We enjoyed the variety of places that we went to. If you are a native or long time San Diegan, or from out of town, you will learn something new and, I bet, find a new place to go to.
We'll be trying the other tours, and will be booking one for my in-laws next time they are in town!

Visited January 2013
La Mesa, CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bite of San Diego Hill Crest Food Tour”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I went on the Hill Crest food tour on Sunday 12/30/2012. Our tour guide Dani, was delightful and informative about San Diego and the Hill Crest area. The restaurants were very individual and offered ample food to make us feel very full at the end. We live in the area and had not visited the restaurants before, but plan to go back. Some restaurant owners spoke to us and that was a highlight of the experience. It was a cold rainy day, but the group seemed to have a lot of fun despite the weather. We have taken food tours in Portland, Oregon and Seattle,WA and san Diego's are just as good.

Visited December 2012
Mission Viejo, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Get a taste of San Diego”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and two grown children and I all really enjoyed this tour. The restaurants and our guide, were superb. We ate great food, learned some of the local history, and got a better appreciation of San Diego as a city. We even ended up going back to two of the places we visited on the tour and will tell our friends to check these restaurants out when they are in the city as well. In my opinion, for folks that don't have small children, the walking food tour is a must do in San Diego!

Visited December 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
“Walking food tour was awesome!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was my first time visiting San Diego, and we wanted to see the city and taste some local cuisine. I highly recommend this tour and would definitely do it again. Our guide was a young man named Eddie. He was very knowledgeable and funny. He showed us points of interest around the city and spoke of all the history I never knew existed in San Diego. I actually learned alot and the food was amazing. Everyone at the restaurants or shops we visited was very pleasant and accommodating. I very much enjoyed the walk and of course the food, but our guide Eddie, made it that much more educating and humorous. Try it out!

Visited October 2012