“Mimosa's, Tots, and Benedict!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of R Gang Eatery - CLOSED

R Gang Eatery
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pennsylvania
Menifee, California
“Mimosa's, Tots, and Benedict!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

We went to R Gang Eatery for brunch on a Saturday morning. I did some research ahead of time on brunch in the area but once I read up on R Gang and the chef use to chef it up at Confidential (I Loved That Place) I knew that I had to check it out. Not knowing how busy it would be I made reservations through Open Table. It was smart move as the place was quite crowded. Unfortunately, I did not preference indoor or outdoor seats so we ended up with indoor seats next to a window. The seat was OK but very close in relation to the people next to us and would’ve preferred to be sitting outside.

We both ordered the bottomless mimosa’s, of course! The tang/champagne mimosa was surprisingly very good. For our meal we started with the homemade popper tater tots which were beyond impressive. I preferred the chipotle ranch dipping sauce and the tots had some good spice to them. For the main course, we both got eggs benedict. I went with the original while my dining partner chose the southwest . Hers was on corn bread patties instead of English muffin and was quite nice. Mine was probably some of the best eggs benedict that I have had and cooked perfectly, nice and runny!! They also came with breakfast potatoes but I was too full from the tots and the eggs for any room. Did not want to waste a bite of the main even on some potatoes.

Next time I am down in the area for some brunch R Gang will be at or near the top of the list for options.

• Visited April 2014

San Francisco, California
“Tatertots”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

R Gang Eatery in Hillcrest. They do crazy things with tatertots. Is a hip vibe, but lots of greasy food. I would come here if you have more than one night in Hillcrest. If not, skip it for empire house.

Visited April 2013
Austin, Texas
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Great menu, with many must haves. Start with the Bloody Mary with the deli swizzle. Soooooo good, and so good looking! Move on to the tater tots. They are a religious experience!!! I had the captain crunch French toast stuffed with cheese, topped with both of their homemade syrups. Heavenly. There were 8 of us and we left stuffed and really happy. Our server was excellent. Treat yourself to this place!

• Visited February 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Good Brunch menu. Nice comfortable place. Had the cowboy. Way to much food. South of the border had a kick. Cheese chive tater tots made in house were good and well balanced. Cinnamon could use some work. A nice find opens early at 9 on Sunday and the service was on point and happy. Walking around Hillcrest is also nice before or after

• Visited November 2013
Los Angeles, CA
“Not bad but hoped for better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

“World Famous Tater Tots” - It’s a phrase that would draw us into any location...and so we found ourselves at R Gang Eatery for brunch one fine summer morning. The wait was quite long and in the end we were weren’t blown away by anything but here’s the run-down:

The coffee was good basic coffee. Not the best we’ve had but certainly passable with no complaints.

In the tot-department we had the Cheddar and Chive tots - served with a Chipotle Ranch dressing. The cheese flavor was good but the tots were not as crispy as we would have liked. We also had the “pickled” tots which may have been a special flavor as we don’t see it on the website menu now. This was quite good, house made bread and putter pickles with goat cheese and a mustard cream sauce. Definitely would get these again.

For a brunch main I had the “Eastern Vegan” which was composed of lightly toasted quinoa sautéed with soyrizo, baby bok choy, mushrooms, onions, asparagus, and potatoes, drizzled with soy-ginger glaze. The description was awesome but in practice I thought this was just okay and perhaps a little too salty.

Our other main was a side of eggs over medium and the Waffle of the Day (Peach Cobbler!) (and how cool is it to be in a place that has a ‘Waffle of the Day’) The eggs had to be sent back twice. We ordered over medium - The first time they came out scrambled, the second time they were over easy, and third time was the charm when they came out over-medium as requested. They were super busy this day but with the very long wait to get our table we could find a lot of charitable excuses to account for having to send back a simple egg dish twice.

The Peach Cobbler waffle was ok. The waffle it self was good and crispy but the cobbler was cold. It may have been cold intentionally but in either case it would have been better warm...It was also a little too sweet.

There were a few other vegetarian items on the menu included a Roasted Corn Cake which looked good, a Zucheta (grilled and chilled zucchini medallions) on the dinner menu - but overall vegetarian options, though present, were a little limited.

This particular experience at R Gang Eatery, our first was not great overall in terms of food and service...still the appeal of tots is strong so we would consider trying it again as it could have just been an off day for them (or for us...)

For more reviews from a vegetarian perspective, visit Rick and Addie's Vegetarian Food Blog at http://poetrysuperhighway.com/vfb

• Visited September 2012