“i just want some sleep!”

Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle
Ranked #159 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
so. cal
“i just want some sleep!”
Reviewed April 3, 2010

So here I sit, on my bed. It's 2:15 in the morning. And the people next door have been at it for HOURS!

Sure, in my travels I've had amorous neighbors before. Being Marriott Platinum, I've spent lots of nights in hotels and I understand what goes on between adults when there is a bed around. But people, Come on! Just how many guys are there in that room? This is taking kinky to a whole new level!

And is it too much to ask to turn down the deep house music? The base really travels through the walls. Not that I haven't asked. I called the front desk three hours ago. And I called your room half an hour ago. And yet, I still hear that gawd-awful sound from room 728. Is it not bad enough that my room has to wrap around the elevator shaft, that I have to hear you and your hyper-base boom box for hours?

SHUT UP! GO TO SLEEP!

It's not a bad hotel, really. Nice lobby, nice staff. Maybe too nice, as even after my call to the desk the orgy next door is still raging after six hours. And in a few hours I'm gonna get screwed, too, when I have to cough up my hard-earned cash for a room that I got no sleep and a big headache in.

So you, Trip Advisor reader, may not have to deal with the swingers next door. But if you platinum status gets you a suite, and the number has a "30" in it, (730 in my case) realize that you'll be at least listening to the elevator go up and down.

And if this review seems to ramble just a bit, hey! Cut me some slack! it's 2:20 a.m.!

And I still hear the music. I'd call room 728 again, but don't think it would do any good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, April 24, 2010
Dear lensmonkey,

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience you experienced, as well as the inconsideration of the neighboring hotel guests. Please know that numerous calls were made to your neighbor, as well as a few security visits. During the busy Spring break, we have extra security and staff on duty through out the night which allows us to be even more responsive to our full house of guests. Again, please accept our sincere apologies. We certainly understand how important a good night's sleep is and are extremely disappointed that you did not experience just that!

John Blem, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
cologal23
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Newly renovated,this Courtyard includes a full service dining experience area on the main level, plus fun add ins like a Wii, bar, and TVs (much appreciated during March Madness!!!). My colleagues and I met here every morning for breakfast - but even better also offers food to go. Location is ideal for anyone going to Sea World, plus great shopping blocks away including Nordstroms, Saks, and more.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Dear cologal23,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the San Diego area. We are so very happy that you and your colleagues enjoyed meeting at The Bistro each morning for breakfast. Our location is, indeed, ideal for anyone visiting the local attractions, and, of course, all of the great shops nearby. We are also pleased to hear that you were able to take some time to enjoy our Theater Room with 52" HDTV and complimentary video games! Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and completing the review on our property. We're looking forward to your next visit!

Regards,
Europe
Reviewed March 8, 2010

In an area of mostly motel like hotels, or an exensive conference hotel with low end reviews, I chose Courtyard. That turned out to be a vise choice.

The hotel in- and outcheck were effective, and the same for the breakfast and lunsj area. Free internet and a very big plus for a free business center with easy access to prints.

The rooms have carpet on the floors which is not a personal favorite. That said the rooms were clean, suitably large and overall quiet. I did miss a safe for valueable items though.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Dear FrankGradal,

We are thrilled to hear you thought you made a wise choice to stay with us! It is always exciting for us to learn that our guests enjoy our clean, spacious accommodations, complimentary business center, complimentary internet and all of the great amenities that make our property stand out from the rest! Keep in mind for your next visit with us, we have complimentary safes available for our guests located at the front desk. Thank you for completing the review on our hotel. We are looking forward to accommodating you again soon!

southwesttraveler
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon, and we absolutely loved it! It was beautifully decorated, and had convenient internet access in the lobby, the location was close to everything. The rooms were very clean and quiet and we enjoyed our view of mission valley. I definitly recommend this place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Dear soutwesttraveler,

We really can't thank you enough for such an excellent review on our hotel! We are so happy that you absolutely loved your experience with us and are honored that you chose to stay with us for such a special occasion! Thank you for completing the review on our property and recommending our property to other travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Congratulations on your marriage!

Boulder, CO
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I experienced both the good and bad during my recent 3 night visit.
First the good.
My original flight was cancelled and I was booked on a much earlier flight meaning I arrived VERY early at the Courtyard. The great front desk clerk searched and found me a room at 10:15 in the morning. This was much appreciated.
The room itself was very clean, as is my expectations of all Marriott properties.
New decor is comfortable and the large LG hi-def TV is great.
New bathroom lay-out is an improvement over the original, with a few exceptions.
I liked the bar although choices were limited and also the "cafe" with take away salads and other fresh food choices.
Staff was always helpful and friendly.

The bad.
$15/day for parking! Gimme a break! This is a Courtyard in Mission Valley hotel hell, not Manhatten.
General theme is hip run amuck. Large TVs blaring all around the lobby. If the 20 somethings that were there in front of the screens, with computers open and also buried in their iPhones are indicative of biz today, no wonder we're in a recession.
No opening windows or balconys.
No towel racks in the bathroom. Very inconvenient. Maybe it's hip to just have folded towels and nowhere to hang everything.
Glass "glasses" are replaced by plastic cups. Pretty cheesy. I expect this in Comfort Inns, not Courtyards.

If this is the future of the Courtyard brand, then I"m out. I love Courtyards because of opening windows/balcony doors, quiet atmosphere, free parking, real glass and good value which means no parking fees.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear Mutt99,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us. Your opinions and suggestions are extremely important to us as we are committed to providing a memorable experience for all of our guests. We are sorry to hear of any inconvenience you experienced during your stay; however, our parking fee is commensurate with the majority of hotels in our area and, due to safety precautions, the windows in our ten story building only open six inches. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our friendly and helpful customer service and clean accommodations. We do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to accommodate you.

Las Vegas,NV
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Checked in for a weekend of 2 nights. Had a king room with sofa bed. Spacious and clean. Great service, we had our 3 yr old son with us and they made us feel welcome! Overall, the place is beautiful and would highly reccomend staying here. Just a little dissapointed with the Bistro, the food was so so, would have been great with breakfast included with the price. But, if food isn't your thing you'll love it

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Dear richvegas,

We are so happy that you had such a nice stay with us and that you enjoyed our convenient location. Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful compliments on our spacious and clean accommodations and great service. It was our pleasure to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your 2 night visit and for completing the review on our property. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Regards,
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Originally was to have stayed at the Town and Country Resort across the street - it was horrific and we checked out after the first night. (My friend was attending a business meeting there and they had booked her room there.) Being a Marriott member, I saw the Courtyard across the street and we booked the rest of the week there for a less rate and an incredible room and stay. The room was a great double queen size suite with a great view. We loved the bar and bistro, lobby area and ate and drank there frequently. The service at every turn was outstanding and the rooms were clean and spacious. The pool area was great and welcoming. Thanks Courtyard for saving my tag along week of vacation!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelinLeese
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, January 31, 2010
Dear travelinLeese,

We are so happy that your stay with us was incredible! We certainly love hearing that our customer service, at every turn, was outstanding and also that you enjoyed The Bistro! Our gourmet fare, grab-n-go meals and the only Starbucks espresso bar on the block are greatly enjoyed by all of our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and completing the review on our property. It was our pleasure to save your tag along week of vacation! Come back and visit soon!