“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #148 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This Courtyard was a lot more than I was expecting. I've stayed at the Marriott Mission Valley and for a fraction of the cost, I think I would prefer staying here. For one thing, the location is more convenient. Hillcrest is right over the hill and the freeway is right next to the hotel so it gives you easy access to anywhere in the city.

We had been upgraded to a boardroom suite which was large, well decorated and clean. The lobby is quite nice and they had a small cafe to get coffee and food if desired. Parking was $18 which is a little steep, but it had ample parking spaces so no complaints.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
WarmRegards, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review, Phoenixroby! We never tire of hearing that we have exceeded guests expectations! Our staff works extremely hard to deliver an impressive and comfortable experience, and your recognition is greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing with other travelers that our rates are quite reasonable and our location is convenient. You're absolutely correct; our guests do enjoy easy access to anywhere in the city! We are only minutes away from all of the San Diego attractions. We do hope we have earned your guest loyalty and you will be back to take full advantage of all that we have to offer again soon.

Best Regards,
Scott Blaul, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Lynnwood, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed 3 nights while in town to visit a family member who was hospitalized at UC San Diego Medical. This hotel is just down the hill from the hospital which made visitation easy and hassle free.
Easy check in, quiet room although the air condition had trouble keeping the room at a constant temperature. The thermostat was pre set not to go below 68. When the compressor was on the room was cool however when the compressor switched off, the room became warm in a short amount of time. Hot water also was an issue. Only one time during my stay was there sufficient hot water to take a shower or bath. With the hot water on full blast, I could easily keep my hand under the water flow. Luke warm shower was the norm. The bed was reasonably comfortable.
The "bistro" is convenient however I did not find the food appealing. There was usually a wait to order but the food did come out quickly after your order was placed. All employees were friendly, however I would not stay here again due to the issues with the room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Solo67_4
WarmRegards, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
We are sorry we failed to deliver the above average stay that you deserve. Please know that we are always extremely grateful for any opportunity to make things right while you are still staying with us. Our front desk staff is eager to assist you and would have promptly sent a member of our maintenance staff to your room to make the proper adjustments and ensure your comfort. Again, we apologize that your experience fell short of impressing you. Hopefully, we will have another chance at earning a 5 star rating on your next visit to our area.

Respectfully,
Cave Creek, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here 2 separate nights during a 3 day business trip. The hotel has an updated bistro lobby which is great for grabbing a quick meal although there are plenty of options in and around the area and of course the beaches just down the road with lots of local fare. Two large shopping centers within 5 miles have plenty to offer as well.

Rooms are roomy enough and have been updated and well equipped. The work out room needs some updated equipment or some heavy maintenance especially on the treadmills.

Convenient location to get downtown, Sea World, Zoo or just about anywhere in SD.

One peeve is that they charge for parking, but I didn't mind much this trip as I got a great nightly rate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, PirateEC, for making us your choice in accommodations during your recent business trip to San Diego. We appreciate your great compliments on our updated accommodations, lobby bistro and convenient location. Your suggestions in regard to our work out room are also appreciated. We truly value your feedback. It assists us in knowing where we are succeeding and where improvements need to be considered. We want to earn your loyalty and will go above and beyond to do so. Thank you for your review. We look forward to greeting you with a warm 'welcome back' very soon!

Kindest Regards,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a nice property with the usual amenities of a Courtyard. Both the room and bathroom were spacious and the temperature was fairly easy to control. The restaurant wasn't the best but breakfast was okay and the waitstaff were very nice. We left some clothes in the closet and remembered after checking out, but it was easy to get them when we called and then returned.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor near the end and there was no noise to speak of.
Dear mwsllc33,

Thank you for completing the review and sharing all that you enjoyed about your stay. It is always our pleasure to reunite our guests with items accidentally left behind. Also, thank you for mentioning that your room was spacious and quiet. Your comfort is always our top priority! We appreciate your great rating and are pleased you had a pleasant stay.

Kindly,
Bulle, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I wish I could be positive about this hotel but from the moment I walked in I felt like the staff was nothing but cold. I have stayed at numerous Marriott and chain and none chain hotels but this hotel did not stick out to me. Upon check in, I have requested to be in a quiet room and it's also noted in my profile and yet I was given the wrong diagonally across from the elevator. I was here for 5 days and didm' know how noise sensitive their walls and the hallway was. I wish I would have came down a lot sooner when I noticed hallway noise but since I was already settled I didn't want to pack again or complain about the noise. The first two nights was rough since I came in on Friday and there were a bunch of party goers who was running around in the hallway. Not good especially it's already 11pm at night. You figure with the size of this hotel there would be securities or camera enforcing that. There's more to that... the next day I walked past the front desk agent, housekeepers and NO one acknowledge me. I'm good at spotting that but maybe they are TOO busy. I came down on Saturday and there were three front desk girls by one desk , talking and failed to acknowledge me. Again, this hotel was okay and I don't understand why there is overnight charge of $18 for parking when you are a paying guest. It's either you offer valet or self park.

Room Tip: Make sure you look at what room you are in before going up to the elevators!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Paris4Life,

Naturally, we are disappointed that your stay did not exceed your average rating. Please know that we do our best to fulfill all of our guests' preferences and requests, however, there are times when this is not possible upon check in. We regret that we did not have the opportunity during your stay to make things right in ensuring your comfort and rest. Also, it is not often we receive poor remarks on service, as we are strongly committed to exceeding our high standards. Please be assured that your comments have been shared and reviewed by our staff, as the details described in your review will not be tolerated. Thank you for bringing your input to our attention by completing the review. We do hope that you will decide to return to enjoy the memorable stay that you deserve.

Best Regards,
Bermuda Dunes, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed there in August for a pre-season football game. The staff was amazing and the hotel itself is beautiful! We love how it's location is right near everything! Great overall experience and now we can't wait to go back, we have already started planning another trip!!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We love hearing that we impressed you and your family! What a great honor it is to be your perfect San Diego hotel! Your review has been shared with our staff, as your wonderful feedback on our accommodations and service is extremely important to us. Thank you for your fantastic 5 star rating and review. We can't wait to have you back!

Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel when we visited San Diego! The hotel was very beautiful and clean! The rooms exceeded my expectations! And to top it off the staff made the stay comfortable and very enjoyable! I will definitely be a repeat visitor and recommend to friends and family!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, Blopez29! We are thrilled to hear we exceeded your expectations! Your 5 star rating and fabulous review certainly means a lot to all of us. What a pleasure it is to have you as our loyal guest. We appreciate your time in sharing about your stay by completing the review and look forward to your continued patronage.

Best,