“Home away from home”

Ranked #156 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Visalia, California
“Home away from home”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have been stationed in the area for quite awhile and couldnt have stayed at a better place! It was like a home away from home! great atmosphere and the service was the cornerstone! i felt like part of a family! Glad to hang my hat at this hotel anytime.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
WarmRegards, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Randall L,

Thank you for making us your home away from home! We are ecstatic to hear that you couldn't have stayed at a better place! Thank you very much for sharing how warm and welcoming our hotel's atmosphere and service are. It is very rewarding for our staff to receive your positive feedback. We truly enjoy serving our guests to ensure their comfort and enjoyment. Come back and visit your Courtyard San Diego/Mission Valley family again soon!

Warm Regards,
John Blem, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We did request, and got, a quiet room away from I-8 traffic; the room is very small, the carpet was stained and the mattress was substandard. I'm glad we're not here for more than 1 nite. Looks pretty from the lobby, tho. But make sure you also request extra towels and pillows. Everything just isn't up to par for what I have come to expect in a pricey 3-4 star hotel. This Courtyard is comparable to a nice 2-star establishment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WarmRegards, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear pamlaz,

We are extremely disappointed to hear that we failed to exceed your expectations during your recent visit. Please accept our apologies for the carpet in your room. Thank you for mentioning this in your review, as we have immediately followed up to resolve the stain issue. We take your comments extremely seriously and have shared them with our management team. We are committed to doing all that we possibly can to ensure that our guests enjoy every aspect of their experience with us. Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback by completing the review on our hotel.

Regards,
Anaheim, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I just checked out after a 4-day stay. (Oct 2012). I provide an honest assessment because I appreciate the value of unbiased assessments.
#1) Their parking system is an utter failure. They give you paper ticket that you need to carry with you wherever you go to get in or out of the parking lot. If you walk all the way down to your car without the ridiculous ticket, you can't get out. Additionally, the system malfunctions frequently. One day it sucked in my ticket and kept it. I then had to take time out of my day to go to the counter and get a new ticket. They apologized and told me the system fails frequently. Marriott seems more concerned about getting every penny out of their customers for parking, sacrificing customer service. Here is an idea Marriott, program the system to accept your room key! What a concept.
#2) The hotel is fairly new and modern. My room was average with fairly modern and working amenities. They did put me in a room right next to the elevator shaft. Why in the world any hotel builds a hotel where guest rooms are next to the elevator is beyond me. In my room, they give you a small coffee maker with two small cups. This is the single serving type ,aching. Oddly enough, they give you only one regular coffee pack and one decaf pack. While I was there alone, I wonder what people do when there is two, or more, to a room? Only one person gets regular coffee. To me, this is cheap. Again, Marriott trying to cut overhead sacrificing their reputation and image. Really, how much does one extra small coffee pack cost?
#3) Water pressure. Horrible shower head pressure. This is my greatest criticism. The bath faucet had plenty of pressure, so it's not that there isn't pressure to the room. Instead, they have the stupid water saver shower head that trickles water out. For this very reason, I will not return.
#4) They did not make up my room on day 2. It wasn't a big deal, it wasn't all that messy. On day 3, I came back to my room at 3PM to relax. My room had not been made up. I had to call the manager of the hotel. He did apologize and sent housekeeping right up. Note: housekeeping never answered their telephone.
#5). PILLOWS. Oh my goodness - I have never seen pillows so small in my life. Come on, this is a Marriott property. They give you four (4) of the smallest pillows I have ever seen. Embarrassing. And no extra pillows or blankets in the room.
#6) The Air Conditioning System. They have the "in wall" unit; not central air. Every time the air kicks on, it's like a outboard motor on a boat firing up. And, you always know when it's going to start because the "clicking" noise on the thermostat is like someone snapping their fingers loudly.
#7). You will only get the very basics for bathroom amenities. One tiny shampoo and conditioner bottle, and a small bar of soap. That's it. Cheap, cheap.
#8). I did not use the gym or pool at the hotel - I went to the local 24-hour fitness so I can't review those facilities.
#9). I did not eat on property so I cannot provide a review of their food.
#10). They do have a flat panel TV in the room with your standard hotel cable channels. A work desk area suitable for business work with additional power outlets that makes it easier to plug in your computer. I did not try their Wi-Fi system.

I hope this information is helpful all who may be considering this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to put you near an elevator shaft.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank qwikfire
Dear qwikfire,

Thank you for your time in giving us and other travelers your extensive assessment of your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconveniences that occurred in regard to our parking and air conditioning systems. We are also sorry to hear that the water pressure, pillows, bath amenities and room location did not fit your preference. Your comments and suggestions are extremely valuable to us in our our constant efforts to deliver the very best experience for each of our guests. It is our hope that you will decide to return to stay with us again in the near future. We would appreciate the opportunity to exceed any expectations you may have. Once again, thank you for your review.

Best,
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It's a relatively new Courtyard hotel. The lobby is very spacious and clean, and so is the room itself-- with completely updated amenities. The stuff are professional and friendly. Also the breakfast quality is good (compared with other Courtyards)-- For example, some Courtyard consistently give you watered down oatmeal while others give you the ones that looks like it has been sitting in the pot overnight. This Courtyard gives you a fresh and thick (yet not overly thick) oatmeal. Also they provide milk with the oatmeal without being asked. They also provide free newspapers of various type for free in the waiting area (not the sucky US Today, but real newspaper, like WSJ).
The only drawback is the location -- no major attractions nearby, and no stores around either-- honestly quite boring. I think this is a good place to stay for business traveling/you are willing to drive back and forth from tourist sites everyday to save some $. Oh! and BTW, I noticed some other reviewers complaining about paid parking... it's actually free, you just need to get a pass from the front counter when you are checking in. Paid parking is only for people who are not staying in the hotel. Read the sign at the entrance, PEOPLE!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear TravelingRedPanda,

We appreciate your lovely comments about our hotel. We pride ourselves in exceeding our guests' expectations by delivering the best experience along with superior customer service. Thank you for taking the time to share how comfortable you were in our clean and spacious accommodations. Please know that we do charge a daily parking fee to guests with a car, which is commensurate to the majority of brand hotels in our area. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. Our staff looks forward to delivering another memorable stay on your next visit to San Diego.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while visiting family nearby. The cafe was perfect to grab a quick bite and when I checked in, they gave me a rate that included one meal a day at the cafe. It was a nice treat. The rooms were clean and the seating in the lobby/cafe provided something for everyone. It was very easy to be alone and not feel out of place here. The only thing preventing five stars is that the hotel pool area is dismal and there was no spa. If you want to relax by the pool, find another hotel as this one is not for you. However, the rest of the hotel's accomodations exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear VATechHokieGirl,

Thank you for allowing us to accommodate you on your recent 2 night stay in San Diego. We always enjoy hearing that we exceeded our guest's expectations! It is very rewarding for our entire staff to receive your positive feedback on our hotel and amenities; although, we are sorry that our pool area fell short of impressing you. Again, thank you for the great review. We will look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Needed to be in downtown SD & Chula Vista all in the same weekend. Was able to stay in hotel circle, take the trolley (which is about a 10 minute walk across the street at the mall) down town, see 2 games at Petco park have dinner & drinks without having drive. Hotel lobby is very nice, breakfast bar was decent but our air conditioner smelled terribly of mold. We changed rooms after day one. Smell improved but the freeway was loud in the second room. Rooms were small and average. Nothing fancy and since we were in SD, expensive. $16.00 to park, and there isnt enough room in front so you may have to park out back where it is dark. Will say in the same area for the Charger game in December but will try another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Helovesmythighs,

Thank you for choosing to make us a part of your very busy and fun filled visit to San Diego. We are glad that you found our central location convenient to everywhere you needed to be! We apologize for the air conditioning inconvenience that caused you to change rooms. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that you will find that our parking fee is commensurate with the majority of brand hotels in the San Diego area. On your next visit to our area, we do hope you will keep in mind all that you did enjoy at our hotel, as well as our close proximity to just about everything in San Diego. It would be our pleasure to accommodate you again.