“Come for the view”

Blue Wave Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Wave Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Scott
Description: Enjoy the beautiful view of Point Loma paired with the delectable flavors of seasonally inspired cuisine created by Executive Chef, Christopher Spayde. What's more, the restaurant features an excellent wine list and the lounge offers a daily happy hour. You can also order room service or have food delivered poolside. Relax and unwind around a great meal at Blue Wave Bar & Grill.
reno
“Come for the view”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had entertainment coupons where kids eat free with paid adult, o we decided to try this place out for dinner.
1. Food took longer than expected so kids filled up on the free bread.
2. The kids menu is typical, pizza, chicken fingers, fries, grilled cheese, $6-8$
3. Entrees $18- market price for certain fish, seafood
4. I had grilled Tompo, medium, it was ok. Not spectacular, but not bad for grilled white fish. The smash potatoes came w fish was basic.
The menu choices were not extensive and not impressive. Fairly basic.
The view is very nice. It is in the Best western, but no free wifi unless you stay at the hotel. Service was low, when kids ran out of water, we went up and refilled the water with pitchers ourselves.

• Visited March 2013

“Inconsistent food and service”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

During our stay at the Island Palms Hotel, we had two dinners and four breakfasts at the Blue Wave. One dinner was excellent and the other not so much. Service at dinner was good. At breakfast the food was generally good, but the service was slow and undependable, despite what appeared to be a large number of staff serving relatively few tables. A request for water or hot sauce had to be repeated after 4-5 minutes had passed, and then we still had to wait several minutes before the item appeared. Prices appeared high for the quality and quantity of food provided, especially compared with other restaurants in the vicinity.

1 Thank Lawrence D
christopher s, Executive Chef at Blue Wave Bar & Grill, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the constructive feedback of our restaurant. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy some of the meals you had here. I have shared this feedback amongst the managers and staff here at the restaurant and we are currently working to eliminate these inconsistencies between services. I hope we may have the chance in the future to provide you with consistently excellent service at all meal services. Thank you again for taking the time to offer us feedback, if you have any other concerns or comments please feel free to email me at cspayde@islandpalms.com
El Cajon
“Blue Wave needs help!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We live in San Diego & have enjoy dining at the Blue Wave. They have changed their menu, however (now small & few options), & our visit last night was disappointing. We were seated immediately. The dining room area was practically empty (the bar was busy). Our waiter, Jonathan was great. Soup and Salad are extra & my husband had the tortilla soup which he said was spicy & good, served about 45 minutes after our arrival. I ordered a salad with Heirloom tomatoes (also took 45 minutes). My salad came with two cherry tomatoes cut in half with mixed greens that I could buy myself at any grocery store, packaged! My steak, which also took almost an hour to get) was suppose to come with asparagus & Buttermilk Mash. I asked for extra vegetables instead of potatoes. I got a veggie mix with one tiny stem of asparagus (not a full stock, just mid-stem, barely recognizable as asparagus). It took 2 hours to eat our simple dinner & quite frankly, I felt like nothing was truly cooked by a professional chef & certainly not better than I can do at home, for less money! We were really disappointed & we will not go back. Sorry! :-(

2 Thank Donna L
Thank you for the feedback and insight in to the customer experience at the Blue Wave Bar and Grill. I am sorry to hear that our service was not up to the standards that both you and I expect. I completely agree that the wait times you have described in your review are far too long. I have shared your review amongst the staff here and we are working together to identify and eliminate issues like the ones you experienced at the restaurant. Thank you again for the valuable feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me with any other concerns or comments you may have at cspayde@islandpalms.com
Bonita, CA
“View Five Stars--Food Two”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Shelter Island, like Harbor Island and Coronado Island are not islands at all but peninsulas. However, they all have views of the marinas or ocean. Blue Wave is a restaurant in one of the hotels (an upscale Best Western) on Shelter Island near the airport. It has lovely views and a deck with outdoor tables for summer dining (they also had heaters for winter dining.) The dining room is cozy and comfortable. Our waitress was a nice woman, but diners at the other two tables nearby who arrived after us received their meals long before us. There were long periods where we didn't see her and started to wonder if we had been forgotten.

I had the chicken that was supposed to be a mushroom/wine/cream sauce. I had hoped it would taste great but it was really blah! It was boring and left me wishing I had ordered the filet mignon. My husband had the Torbo, a Hawaiian tuna. He said it was good so I give the food two stars rather than one. We had a goat cheese appetizer and I was very unimpressed. Even the mojito was mediocre. With two diners, two drinks, an appetizer and entrée, we spent about $75.

I probably would only go back if I had a voucher giving me a good discount. Believe me, I wanted to like the place, but was somewhat disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank KBrogan
christopher s, Executive Chef at Blue Wave Bar & Grill, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the feedback, I am sorry to hear that we had an off night and weren't able to provide you the quality and level of product that not only you, but we expect as well. Just as you want to like our restaurant, I would very much like for you to be able to enjoy the food and beverages here with the great view. That being said, I would like to invite you back in to give us another chance and buy you a couple of entrees. Please reach out to me directly at cspayde@islandpalms.com if you are willing to take me up on my offer. Thank you again for the feedback and opportunity to better our establisment!
San Diego, California
“Great Food and Great Prices”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed with Dockside Yacht Lodging and the Blue Wave Bar and Grill was the closest/ greatest restaurants in our area. Fun atmosphere and an exceptional l menu made our stay with Dockside Yacht Lodging that much better.

Visited February 2013
christopher s, Executive Chef at Blue Wave Bar & Grill, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you again!