“Eclectic & Outstanding”

Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 60th
Description: Bistro Sixty began as San Diego Desserts, a wholesale bakery in 1999, providing desserts to local restaurants, hotels and other venues. In 2008 we wanted to make a deeper connection to our neighbors, so we added a few tables to the front of the store so people in the neighborhood could enjoy a dessert here in the restaurant, or buy some to take home. Soon after we added restaurant seating, we added bistro food to our menu. The new menu was well received and in 2009 we expanded to include patio dining and began offering wine to complement our bistro food. Our goal is to provide a fun, relaxing environment where you can enjoy food, friends and wine in a safe, comfortable environment. For us, the thing we love about bistro sixty is that it's like having you over to our home. Maybe that's why our neighbors and guests are so important to us-and over the years we've come to know them as friends.
Reviewed January 6, 2018

I just got done reading the cineteach review in Oct 2017 below and can't believe just how "varied" (I guess) tastes are in the world. I'm from Wash DC, living in San Diego since 1999, with a Hatteras Yacht here and 8 seat plane (to come in and out of SD) and this place is positively my wife and my own favorite place to come to in SD. She brings me here for my bday each year. The place has outstanding choices in eclectic music (I'm 56 years old by the way) -- and I'm sorry for the 65+ year old woman (her profile states) didn't have music that night (because the band had a personal matter to attend to or had a sickness or something) - - but at least in my own experience I've never showed up over the years to see the band "off". The owner (I think his name is Kevin) comes around to all the tables, is gracious with choices and recommendations wine. In all the years I've been coming there - - I've honestly never tasted the deserts (I like the food and wine there). So if her comments are valid about the deserts then hopefully the owner will resolve them. But as to the food - - geez, I will tell you it's always fabulous. If you're considering this place - - I would encourage you not to let the woman's obvious snobbery influence you. (She mentions she doesn't think the restaurant will "last very wrong". I laughed out loud. It's been there for years and for good reason!!! This town is tough on bad restaurants. So if it wasn't good, she's right it wouldn't be around. But it is, and thriving - so what does that tell you). I bring my own out-of-town friends here all the time (and I don't even have a nearby college student at State. I just like the place.) Great music, great food, fantastic ambiance, great owner . . I can't comment on the deserts, cause I just haven't had them. But you'll love the place.

Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

Desserts are amazing. Mark is a great chef. Very personable and really cares about his guests. You'll be greeted at the door with a warm welcome. Menu is eclectic. Great cheese burger. Entertainment is also nice. Parlo across the side street in the back part of the lot. On the street is good too.

Reviewed October 11, 2017

We were in San Diego to take our granddaughter to dinner. She is a freshman at SDSU. I read the reviews of restaurants near campus and the reviews of this restaurant were quite good. I cannot believe the reviews were not fake.We had a very negative experience there. The server was very polite and attentive so that was not the problem. The review said there was music but there was none. I asked why and was told the band cancelled for the night. There were only three other tables with people dining. That should have been a clue to me, even though it was a Tuesday night. I will say that my husband had a wedge salad that he said was very good. My granddaughter and I shared the ahi tostada and that was tasty as well. Then the entrees. I ordered a burger prepared medium. It came over cooked, very well done and burned on both sides. It was dry and inedible. I truly couldn't eat it. I sent it back and asked for it to come off the bill. My husband had the ribs and mac and cheese. He said the ribs were tasty but the mac and cheese was undercooked. My granddaughter had the scallops and said they were good. This place is supposed to be known for their desserts. We ordered three. I ordered the lemon cake. When I cut into it the cake was hard and dry. The whip cream topping was also hard and dry. One bite and the rest sat on my plate. When the bill came I asked the server about the freshness of my dessert. He said it was made a couple of days before. What restaurant would serve stale, old desserts to a customer? He apologized and it was not his fault. I have a feeling that this place will not be in business very long. They should be ashamed of the food they serve.

Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

We had an incredible meal while listening to amazing smooth jazz. I had the Black truffle burger. It is the best burger that I've ever eaten! Mine came with onion rings and I thought I had known how wonderful onion rings could be, but this restaurant took it to the next level! My husband had the citrusy scallops. They were to die for! Our friend also had the Steak burger - a beef burger with short ribs ground in much like the Black truffle burger but it tasted so different and was just as amazing!! The service was stellar! The music that serenaded us while we were dining was perfect, soft yet rhythmic and casual. Then we had the lemon cake and a tiramisu which were both truly amazing and just perfect! Not too sweet and made us all very happy!!

Reviewed June 20, 2017

This business owner takes pride in really making the experience of eating here spectacular. The food is an experience and they appear to have fairly regular calendar of live music.