“Might be the "Hot" Restaurant, But Was a Lukewarm Experience”
Review of Searsucker

Searsucker
Reserve with OpenTable
Searsucker is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #121 of 4,960 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th and Market
Description: Seated in the heart of the Gaslamp District, Searsucker serves New American Classic cuisine paired with specialty cocktails and unique local brews.
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Searsucker is a highly hyped restaurant that has received rave reviews from the local critics. Therefore, I greatly anticipated the experience. My son and his wife, "foodies" from Washington, D.C., were in town, and I wanted them to appreciate the best of San Diego dining. To make a long story short, Searsucker was a major disappointment. They first wanted to seat us in a tall table with flimsy, weak-backed chairs - not the best for a "mature" woman as myself. Being a Monday night, the place wasn't very busy, so we asked for better seating, which was provided (with a smile). The waitress was quite nice, and patiently explained the menu items. However, she - and every other staff member - seldom made an appearance during the meal, except to deliver the food. Most of the staff were talking and "hanging out," rather than paying attention to the guests (unless, of course, you were one of the friends they were hanging with). The food was clever, but unexceptional. The duck, in particular, was a major disappointment, having recently had a wonderful duck dish at it's sister restaurant, "Burlap." The fish dishes were boring, although the "face" of the restaurant, Brian Malarkey, is a famous seafood chef. The check, however, was one that you would get at a high-end restaurant. I wouldn't have minded, if the experience lived up to it's price. Save your money - there's plenty of other choices in the Gaslamp, or near-by Little Italy.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I loved this restaurant. Amazing food, not overly expensive, great service, brilliant atmosphere. We went on a Saturday night and were very lucky to get a table - it's definitely worth booking in advance. If we return to San Diego we will definitely make a return trip.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

I have now been here a couple times with all different experiences. Excellent...bad...horrible...then great again. The vibe and atmosphere are awesome! But the ppl that work here can b stuck up and pushy. Just take it with a grain of salt. Delicious & unique dishes plus strong drinks. Please up your customer service standards and I will b a very repeat customer.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Went here for lunch on Friday and was extremely impressed. After all the buzz, I was a little concerned but the unique preparations and delicious flavors won me over. Also, the price, for what you got, was so worth it--go!

Reviewed November 16, 2011

Just got back from a great trip to SD. We had dinner here and it was amazing. Our favorites: calamari, bone marrow, shrimp, and the short ribs. The King Sundae was out of this world as well. I really enjoyed how different the food was at Searsucker. You can't get this type or quality of meal at many restaurants. After dinner we spent some time at the bar and it is a great place to people watch. If I get back to SD I will be back here! Thanks for a great meal. You must try Searsucker when you are in SD.