“Interesting.”
Review of Searsucker

Searsucker
Reserve with OpenTable
Searsucker is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 4,768 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th and Market
Description: Seated in the heart of the Gaslamp District, Searsucker serves New American Classic cuisine paired with specialty cocktails and unique local brews.
San Diego, California
“Interesting.”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I have now been here a couple times with all different experiences. Excellent...bad...horrible...then great again. The vibe and atmosphere are awesome! But the ppl that work here can b stuck up and pushy. Just take it with a grain of salt. Delicious & unique dishes plus strong drinks. Please up your customer service standards and I will b a very repeat customer.

• Turkish first
EVANSTON
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Went here for lunch on Friday and was extremely impressed. After all the buzz, I was a little concerned but the unique preparations and delicious flavors won me over. Also, the price, for what you got, was so worth it--go!

Visited November 2011
North Carolina
“Great meal and wonderful service”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Just got back from a great trip to SD. We had dinner here and it was amazing. Our favorites: calamari, bone marrow, shrimp, and the short ribs. The King Sundae was out of this world as well. I really enjoyed how different the food was at Searsucker. You can't get this type or quality of meal at many restaurants. After dinner we spent some time at the bar and it is a great place to people watch. If I get back to SD I will be back here! Thanks for a great meal. You must try Searsucker when you are in SD.

• Visited November 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Not impressed.”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband and I were excited to try Searsucker while in town last Sunday night. We heard all the raves, Top Chef chef and all. The SERVICE: They sat us at a very small table by the exposed pipes. The table rocked back and forth and when I sat on the chair i nearly fell off! The seat wiggled and tipped me backward. My husband's was only slightly better. I commented to the waitress and she ensured me they were ordering new chairs. Like that would help me out somehow. I commented, "I hope I don't fall off." Her response: "Me too." Then she walked off. When she finally returned we asked for a new chair and she said, "I can give you a stool." Which she did. Seriously, this is suppose to me a top notch, VERY expensive place, and she brought us one stool. We had to ask again for the table to be stabilized. Never did she offer to reseat us. Her demeanor was flip like we were being annoying and she kept walking off. The rest of the experience, ordering, checking in with us, etc. was cursory and curt. (By the way, this was the ONLY bad experience we had during our entire weekend in SD.)
The FOOD: It was late and we ate light. Three small plates and a few glasses of wine. The short ribs were bland, like any Wed. night pot roast. We agreed that Roy's short ribs are far superior. The mushrooms were very good. The crab cake mushy with a slimy texture. No breading or anything to hold it together. Overall, we felt the restaurant was aiming more toward being trendy and "designer" with it's "calves balls" (our waitresses' words), and 'butt' on the menu as well as other items designed to make the diner feel they're all cool and cosmopolitan at ridiculous prices. We don't need uncomfortable Restoration Hardware chairs or food with shock value. We just want great tasting food in a fun and hip environment.

• Visited November 2011
san diego ca
“It lives up to the hype - wonderful food!”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I've eaten here twice in the last few months and each time was impressed by the sophistication of the food as well as it's creative presentation...and most importantly, the food was really,really good. If you are a foodie, you'll want to check it out.

Note that it is a noisy, high energy place, so if you are wanting a quiet, restful meal, pass on this place. You go here when you want to be in a high energy, noisy, stimulating atmosphere.

On Fridays and Saturdays you'll need a reservation in advance as the place is often full. But also note that if you want to sit in front of the open kitchen you'll probably be able to sit there without reservations, since I've noticed there's almost always empty seats there. It is VERY noisy there as cooks and staff are yelling at each other (part of managing the flow of food in and out of the kitchen), but if you know that in advance and are interested in watching people prepare the meals, you could enjoy this. We sat there once and were able to chat ever-so-briefly with the chefs during brief breaks in the action and found out lots of stuff about how they prepared dishes.

• Visited October 2011