“Extensive menu”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Description: For those on a quest to find the best Italian fine dining San Diego has to offer, you've come to the right place. Nestled in the lively and cultured Downtown San Diego Gaslamp District, just three blocks away from the San Diego Convention Center, BiCE presents an award-winning dining experience with a sophisticated menu that will take your senses on a delectable tour of Italy - all without leaving the twinkling skyline of Downtown San Diego. BiCE combines the comforts of true Italian hospitality, the wholesome ingredients of a real Italian marketplace, and the culinary innovation of the finest Italian chefs for a unique dining experience, unlike any Downtown San Diego restaurants you've tried before.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Dined here on New Years day for dinner and ordered the Halibut with assorted seafoon. Halibut was a bit dry and overcooked but the service was above average and our server Stefano was very knowledgable and friendly. My husband ordered the Lasagna with meat sauce and that was excellant. Observed other plates delivered to neighbouring tables and all looked delicious. The venison chop and ribeye steak were massive. Will return to try other menu items. Would give higher rating on food but fish was overcooked.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is our second time in Bice and we still like this place. Food was excellent, service is great selection of the wine is great. I would like to try this Squid Ink Potato Gnocchi with Wild Salmon , Asparagus and delicate Meyer Lemon Sauce next time.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I attended a special cooking class at the BICE Ristorante in San Diego a month ago. The class was a 5 hour class taught by the Head Chef Mario and was Fantastic. Chef Mario's personality is fantastic and he makes you feel like one of his family. During the 5 hours you listen and watch as Chef Mario instructs and prepares many wonderful dishes from appetizers to deserts with organic ingredients that you will not find on normal Italian Menus. You will taste all the food prepared while drinking as many glasses of wine as you like. A wonderful class, and a great way to learn and enjoy Italian cuisine. My wife and I returned to the restaurant last night and spent an 1 1/2 hours at the one of a kind Cheese Bar with host Ester. We went during Happy Hour so you can enjoy wonderful flavors of exotic cheeses from all over the world and taste $5.00 appetizers, wine and cocktails. We then had a very romantic dinner with an outstanding waiter Stefano. Their unscale Real Italian Menu is Fantastic. Chef Mario came out of the kitchen to give us a hug during our visit and we can't wait to go back again ! A Must try on anyone's Bucket List !

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I'm a food snob and I dine out often. I was skeptical of this restaurant just because it's hard to know whether a place is going to live up to its description on OpenTable or if it's just another trendy, overpriced restaurant, which seem to be a dime a dozen in every city. This restaurant surpassed my expectations and I would return in a heartbeat when I am in San Diego again.

The interior is modern yet cozy and romantic. Service was superb. The maitre d' was super Italian and friendly yet professional, and although we were the last ones in the restaurant never made us feel like they wanted us to leave (which unfortunately happens way too often). Background music was Frank Sinatra, etc.

Good wine list with some reasonably priced selections. We ordered one wine that the maitre d' came out to explain to us was not a typical wine of that region and maybe we should try something else, and talked to us for a while about it - we weren't deterred and it turned out to be great. But we really appreciated the attention they paid to us in explaining about the wine.

Food was fantastic. Calamari with polenta appetizer was delicious and tender. Mushroom soup baked with a parmesan crust was awesome too. Homemade beef ravioli was amazing. They bring an abundant basket of homemade breads and refill it without having to ask. The white chocolate panna cotta dessert was out of this world. The prices were no higher than any other fine dining restaurant. $10-15 for appetizers, $20-30 entrees.

Overall it was a wonderful experience and I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or any occasion for foodies!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had a party of 8 for dinner and had a very disappointing meal. My mushroom soup was delicious and the salad got good reviews, however my sea bass was dry and served plain. My husband ordered the bone in rib eye cooked "medium" which arrived rare. He asked for it to be brought up to temperature and when it arrived back at the table it was soaked in some sort of salty soy sauce mixture. Remember that this is a Italian restaurant. It was completely salty and one of the worst steaks he's ever eaten. Another person in our party had the same rib eye which arrived without the salty sauce and it was tough. The server was friendly and entertaining, the restaurant was packed on a Saturday night. The gratuity was automatically added to our bill. We won't be back anytime soon.

1  Thank Ginger M