“Average, Overpriced & Noisy”
Review of Bice Ristorante - CLOSED

Bice Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Description: For those on a quest to find the best Italian fine dining San Diego has to offer, you've come to the right place. Nestled in the lively and cultured Downtown San Diego Gaslamp District, just three blocks away from the San Diego Convention Center, BiCE presents an award-winning dining experience with a sophisticated menu that will take your senses on a delectable tour of Italy - all without leaving the twinkling skyline of Downtown San Diego. BiCE combines the comforts of true Italian hospitality, the wholesome ingredients of a real Italian marketplace, and the culinary innovation of the finest Italian chefs for a unique dining experience, unlike any Downtown San Diego restaurants you've tried before.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to Bice for a romantic dinner over the holidays and overall we came away rather disappointed for a number of reasons. Firstly although the restaurant looks elegant it is in fact just as noisy as much less expensive rustic places in Little Italy.
Although we overlooked this, the next disappointment was that my husband had set his heart on ordering the Veal Chop, one of the signature dishes here, it was not until 30 minutes or so later when our order was taken that we were told by the waiter that they did not have any veal chop that evening. Much to his disappointment, my husband made another selection but it was just an average pasta dish that we would cook better at home. I ordered Branzino (Sea Bass) it was very small, a little overcooked and although it was supposed to be a fillet I found a medium sized bone. We finished with the cheese selection from the speciality cheese and salami bar expecting a wonderful taste experience but once again were very disappointed, the cheese plate ($20) comprised a number of common place Italian cheeses for which the portion size was adequate but noticably the expensive truffle infused cheese was served as a mere 2 wafer thin slices. Finally, to add insult to injury the waiter tried to bill us $64 for our wine which was priced on the wine list at $41. When we raised this with him, he dishonestly insisted that he had in fact served the more expensive wine, as regular Italian wine drinkers we knew that this was blatantly untrue. There are several better Italian retaurants to visit in San Diego.

1  Thank Siobhan3556

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Bice (pronounced b-chay) was great from beginning to end. We could only get an early reservation which turned out to be fine. Because they weren't busy yet we had time to really enjoy the food and staff. Paulo, a charming Italian man I assume is a manager, made us feel like we were the only ones in the restaurant.

We had the quail and tartare trio apps. I couldn't get enough of either-the flavors were dancing on my tongue. I had the ravioli in marsala sauce and it was perfect. The ravioli was rolled out paper thin and the marsala was one of the best I've had in all my travels. My husband had the veal chop which was breaded and fried to a perfect crisp. It was only made better by dipping it into the marsala sauce! We shared a tiramisu for dessert and it was scrumptious- not to heavy with liquor or espresso.

Enjoyed this meal so much I'm going back before leaving town.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

After consulting several friends we chose Bice for our New Year Eve's dinner. It was great advice. The courses served were ample, extremely tasty and the service was very professional. The appetizer of various cheeses and meats were so plentiful it could have been a meal unto itself.
The experience was delightful and next time we are back in San Diego, another visit is in order.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

There is quite a bit to enjoy about this place. Perhaps the least of which is that the happy hour doesn't last any longer. Happy hour special is excellent.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went for a business dinner with my manager, and had a most impressive evening.
The wines by the glass were exceptional (especially the Tuscan red blend) and the meal was outstanding.
Highly recommend the gnocchi (they melt in your mouth) with crab and the branzino with truffle oil accent was out of this world. Tuna 3 ways appetizer was delicioso!
The service was very attentive and provided excellent suggestions.
Topping it all off was a perfect cappuchino.