Coastal San Diego Tours to La Jolla & Torrey Pines with TourGuideTim

Birthday trip

Reviewed June 2, 2016
katrinac910
Covina, California

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 20, 2017

Victor Knarreborg is a dynamic and entertaining tour guide. I would highly recommend anyone who is seeking an insiders view to San Diego with a tour that is customized to your group's needs to definitely give Victor a call.

Our family hosted our 25th Walker-Doss Celebration in San Diego, and since we are from all parts of the U.S., we thought that a tour would be a great way for us to explore the beautiful city of San Diego as a family. From the first time that I spoke to Victor (4 months before our event), until the end of our tour, his professionalism and genuine warmth was always reflected during our planning conversations and the conduct of the tour.

We took 2 buses on a city tour that included the Embarcadero, the Midway, downtown, Coronado Island, Chicano Park and Old Town where we enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Casa de Reyes, which was a restaurant recommended by Victor.

A special touch was added when I told Victor that I wanted to do something special to recognize our men and women who had served this great nation. Victor tailored a special stop at the Embarcadero where we took amazing photos of our veterans (representing WWII, the Korean War, Viet Nam, and the Gulf Wars) standing in front of the U.S. Midway aircraft carrier. That moment was priceless!

We had a large tour group of 85 family members ranging from our Patriarch (Fulton W. Walker) at 93 years young, to the youngest at age 6. Victor and his co-tour guide Brian, reflected such a deep insight and passion for San Diego that I can confidently state that we left with a new appreciation for the beautiful city of San Diego. Everyone on the tour had glowing remarks about both Victor and Brian, and highly recommend anyone considering touring San Diego, to give them a call.

Thank you Victor and Brian for helping to make this a memorable reunion celebration! Also, thank you for your prayer for our family. We truly appreciate you and HIGHLY RECOMMEND the San Diego Tour Guy for anyone wishing to explore San Diego in small or large groups. It is definitely worth it!!

2  Thank lawannabradford
Reviewed June 2, 2016

My boyfriend and I are always looking for new adventures. This time we decided to go kayaking and snorkel. It was so great. I loved every minute of it. Great for families.

Reviewed September 27, 2015

We just had a private tour with Victor and it was wonderful. He rode with our family for 6 hours all over San Diego and La Jolla and the best part of the tour was the personal stories and details that he gave us regarding each site. This tour was well worth the money and we certainly had a great time. Thanks Victor-loved our tour of San Diego!

1  Thank Sue725Chesterfield
Reviewed March 23, 2015

Victor was our tour guide and did an excellent job at showing us some of San Diego's amazing sites. This tour was not rushed, Victor was flexible and went out his way to accommodate everyone in the group. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable! We highly recommend this tour!

Reviewed March 15, 2015

Staying on Coronado Island without a car, we wanted to see parts of San Diego beyond the ferry landing area. The Coastal Tour with TourGuide Tim's associate Victor was a perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon; from Mount Soledad to watching seals play at the beach, we learned lots of history from our enthusiastic guide and visited a nice array of places along the coast. Another plus for this tour that is not found on most other tours is being able to get off the minibus often to explore up close the sites along the way. Greatly recommended!

1  Thank cindy b
Reviewed March 9, 2015

We have been on a wonderful trip here for one week but one of the best things we did was take this tour to La Jolla with a tour guide called Vincent who was excellent . Just the right balance of knowledge and humour. Very patient and caring..my husband has a disability and both he and the driver were so helpful it was a joy to be on the tour. Very good value for money and a must do when visiting San Diego. Thank you from the two English tourists !!!!!

4  Thank Joan T
Reviewed March 6, 2015 via mobile

My tour guide was Victor(Tim's colleague) and we had a awesome half day trip. We saw amazing sites. Victor was very knowlegeable and was able to answer all our questions. I loved the trip!

Reviewed February 25, 2015

This tour of La Jolla was a highlight of our visit to San Diego! It was well planned and well executed at a manageable pace by the very personal duo of Dennis the driver and Victor our talented knowledgeable guide. We felt that they loved their town and work and shared it with us with enthusiam every mile of the tour!!
Thank you. You touched our hearts and are great ambassadors for San Diego. We will certainly
recommend this tour to our fellow Canadians!

1  Thank Shayne T
Reviewed January 25, 2015

The main goal of my trip to San Diego was to have a low key time and walk around outside without needing a parka. As part of the low key, I decided to go without renting a car and just use public transit, but I still wanted to see a bit more of the city. This led to TripAdvisor to search for a tour, which found me landing on this page. I am very glad I did, as this lived up to reviews.

I do not want to describe too much of what you see and hear (better for you to find out for yourself), beyond saying that the variety hinted at on TourGuideTim's page is not misleading. The tour takes a lot of small things, adds stories or facts to flush them out, and combines all into a San Diego whole. Like many of the best tourist attractions, you start with expectations and leave surprised with how much you did not expect.

The most important part of any tour is going to be the people with whom you are travelling. In this we were led by Victor, who speaks in a casual manner unlike the rehearsed patter or lecture you can sometime get. Sure there some of that, you can't be as knowledgeable as he shows without rehearsal, but it did not feel tired. Furthermore, he had the skill to read his audience and make it inclusive, informal.

Along with Victor, we had Dennis driving the limo bus. While travelling to pick up the rest of the tour, I got the impression he was an explorer type. This was further supported in those instances when Victor engaged him or he added something different. They worked well together and had the ability to change the tour on the fly, meshing the tour with those of us on the bus.

And in the rest of the tour I was also extremely fortunate. A family of four, all able bodied, interested and engaged. No lagging, just casual exploration by all.

Advice I would offer. Even on a warm day you may want to have light jacket (the tour did have a few spares), since Mount Soledad is quite a bit higher up. Also, I kind of wish I had prepared for restaurants in La Jolla, near Girard Ave. Victor did give a run down, but in this day of TripAdvisor and Yelp, I think I could have done a better job of choosing restaurant and food.

5  Thank RCM337
Reviewed January 18, 2015

We made a great decision when we booked up for Tour Guide Tim's 5 hour sightseeing tour of the San Diego coastline, visiting Torrey Pines, Mount Soledad and La Jolla. There were about 12 of us in the group and we travelled in a very comfortable minibus, with multiple stops and opportunities to walk around at each location. Tour Guide Tim is very informed and enthused, full of interesting anecdotes about San Diego, its history and its personalities. He's also extremely approachable and helpful - right to the point of dropping us off at our hotel at the end of the afternoon. I highly recommend this tour, very good value for money.

1  Thank Ian O