“Fantastic beach, worth the struggle to access the surf and sun”
Review of Black's Beach

Black's Beach
Ranked #54 of 445 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the west coast's 5 premier surfing spots.
Reviewed August 4, 2014

First time visitor to San Diego and Black's was very high on my list of things to do. This week I went twice to the beach using two different access points.

Day One: Parked at the Gliderport and took the stairs down the cliff face. I consider myself an intermediate hiker (have hiked portions of the AT and a few of the Catskills high peaks) but I am not the most physically fit person. I struggled with the hike down because it is tough on the knees and the steps are not even. I struggled with the hike on the way up just keeping my breath as it is all up. That being said, the trail is clear and well maintained and thanks are in order for the Friends of Blacks Beach who built and maintain these stairs. The other options down from the cliffs are a death wish for all but the most physically fit and nimble athletes.

Once on the beach we setup camp near the volleyball courts. We were a trio (gay couple and best female friend) and for her comfort we followed the advice from other posts and parked near the volleyball courts. This was a great idea. On any nude beach there will be some gawkers and some older pervy dudes, but I did not see any that were aggressive or overt and I believe that by staying near the volleyball nets it was clear that we were there for a relaxing, fun day.

Day Two: Parked at Torrey Pines State Beach to spend the day on the trails and on the beach.
My partner and friend did not want to go back to Black's (due to their severe sunburns from their first time on a nude beach) but I wanted to try the hike in from the north. Walking along this stretch of beach is wonderful. The first outcropping is Flat Rock and there is a clear trail that skirts the edge of the rock to make it past, if the tide is low you can walk through the surf. After the second outcropping, Mussel Point, I think it is called, you are on the far northern (gay section) end of Black's. The walk from TPSB to Black's is about a mile and a half and very manageable, but it is a long hike.

The beach is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS! We do not have beaches like this on the east coast. The sand was powder soft and not a single shell and hardly any rocks. I did not see any trash or litter anywhere along the miles of beach that I walked. The only thing that I was not used to was all of the kelp and sea grass, but that did not cause any problems. The sheer cliffs are beautiful and the beach is large and expansive and it is very easy to find your own space and not feel crowded. Waves were perfect and the crowd seemed relaxed. Took some extended beach walks down to the northern (gay) section of the beach. This area is predominantly male, assuming mostly gay, however there are very few people here. It was very easy to feel completely alone and peaceful in this section of the beach. It also seemed like the pervy gawkers do not come this far down the beach.

This beach is such a special place and worth the hassle to get there, in fact the struggle to get there is why I am sure it is such a great beach, its not easy to get here and you have to really want to go. Totally worth it for anyone seeking a great beach experience in the buff.

5  Thank Patrick C

Reviewed July 22, 2014

This being a popular nude beach the views can be very interesting. The beach is a bit secluded from the area closer to Scripps and is pretty much bordered by cliffs. If one continues north they will reach the Glider Port and further. The beach is nice and a great place to go relax and get a tan naked or close to naked. Enjoy

1  Thank ERIC W
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We went to Black's Beach a few years ago. It was BEAUTIFUL. There was parking about 1/4 mile north of the beach but we chose to drive to the top of the hill and park. The surfers also parked at the top, changed out of their dress clothes and into wetsuits behind their cars. The surfers took a path, called "The Goat Path". It looked like a cattle path but they ran down it in about 15 seconds. But after they surfed for about 45 minutes, they ran up The Goat Path as well.... We parked at the top of the hill and walked the path down to the beach. There were benches for resting along the path which was about 150 yards long and down a steep cliff. Some of the steps were about an 18" drop. It's ok on the way down but on the way up, it was hell, (as I am short legged).... As we walked the beach we watched wind surfers taking off from the top of the hill (where we parked). They gracefully glided around and landed on the beach... Blacks Beach was at that time a clothing optional beach and yes there were NUDE sunbathers... The dolphins put on a show jumping and flipping in the beautiful ocean. The beach was very wide and clean. I'd love to go there again.

3  Thank MamawLisa
Reviewed July 10, 2014

So glad this place exists! You get a great workout, a nice all over tan and usually meet some pretty cool people. I sometimes go alone and sometimes with friends. There are some creeps for sure but if you just ask them to leave you alone they usually will. Nothing like swimming nude in the warm summer ocean. Watch out for stingrays! Now if I could just find a nudist girlfriend to come with me!

3  Thank chris w
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is a great beach. There is a hike down, wonderful sands and clear calm waters. This is a nude beach so take it off and enjoy the expierence. The people were nice, the water was cool and nakedness is a norm. Take the hike back up slow and steady and look for the resting points. Enjoy!

3  Thank Nena626196